1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey: Yao Won't Opt Out of Contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Melechesh, Dec 8, 2009.

1. choujie

choujie Member

They paid Nene because if they didn't, somebody else would. Talented big men all make big money. That's just how it is in NBA. They are rare compare to wing players. It's not overpaid. Scola would get at least 8 mil as well even though his defense is weak.

Rashard Lewis got 100 mil for 5 years. Now that's overpaid.

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Trading McGrady (an expiring contract) to the Knicks in exchange for Mobley (an expiring contract), and then trading that expiring contract + cash + a pick for ???, is not going to increase the Rockets' available cap room at all.

So, unless you think that package can net you James Harden and another young asset, there isn't much to be accomplished by that trade.

3. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

From a business aspect you keep Yao, injuried or not because if he can play 50 games, he is going to generate revenue for the team.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/32/nba08_Houston-Rockets_322525.html

Since 2002-2008

Rockets revenue have grown by 82million to 154 million (lakers went from 152 million to 191 Million)
    Franchise value went from 276 million to 469 (426 to 584)

Prior to Yao, Rocket's revenue were 1999-2001 were a flat 79-81 million, the franchise value was grew from 168 to 234.

As soon as Yao joined the Rockets, everything has grown by 100%, they were 2nd in the NBA on premium seat revenue.

Yet people are bickering about his salary, fk he can sit the next 5 years and the Rockets will still owe him money he has generated for the team.

Injury prone or not, other teams will sign him as long as he has Market appeal. So its not hard to imagine other teams offering him a MAX deal.

Is it fair for Rocket fans to have a player who can't play a full season? Hell No

Does Yao deserve every penny he has earned? Hell yes because everybody who has had jobs, always felt they should be paid what they are worth. Nobody in their right mind would say "hey boss, I will take a $10,000 pay cut because I just had a broken foot and I need to work from home"

Yao may not be playing but he is attending events...events sponsored by the Houston Rockets. In some sense he is still working.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Ever hear of the principle of diminishing returns?

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

This. This. A thousand times, this.

And for those who think that "overpaying" Yao will be harmful to the team's chances of winning, keep in mind the following:

(1) Assuming that Morey re-signs Luis Scola and Kyle Lowry and that he does ANYTHING with the MLE this summer, there will not be substantial cap room available to add another star, regardless of what (reasonable) salary to which Yao is re-signed.

(2) The additional revenue generated simply by Yao being a Houston Rocket will more than offset any luxury taxes that Les will have to pay due to having "overpaid" Yao.

So, unless you simply feel that Yao is not a good player and you would rather waive him and use the Rockets' 2011 cap room on a second- or third-tier 2011 free agent, please stop yapping about how much Yao may get paid going forward.

6. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Sure but the guy is 29 and besides injuries, he is entering the prime years for a Center.

Its like saying this, you pick up a lottery ticket but instead of .008% chance of winning, Yao is at least worth 10% chance

Do you pay 1 dollar for .008% chance to win or do you pay Yao Max and gain the ability to generate more revenue than what you paid at 10% chance to stay healthy? Knowing you have disability insurance and other various loopholes in the contract to protect the business.

Simply, an easy decision for the Rockets.

7. worzel gummidge

The idea was the Rockets get a star level player being dumped. Another team, the ones dumping the star player, then trades Mobley + cash + pick to OKC to get under LT.

Mobley's insured contract to OKC can potentially help wipe out $9M for a team hopelessly over LT.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yea, when you look past his single biggest detriment, which is a major topic in this thread, it is an easy decision to make.

9. MD_in_Training

It depends on whether or not there is a net value-add to the system, even with diminishing returns.

10. ibm

ibm Member

yao ain't dumb. and you can't fault any athlete acting in his own best interest. in this regard, even though mcgrady often makes me frown by his acts, sometimes you can't really fault him.

think about bagwell. i'm sure there were others, too.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

What year did the toyota center open?

12. leebigez

I'm not going to dispute Yao's benefit to this team because no one knows except the book guys, but what is a better question is how the teams like bulls,mavs,pistons can generate more revenue without such a prized possession?

13. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Hmmm... Let me marinate on that one...

14. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Bring in Bosh! Twin towers part two.

15. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I could have sworn the YOF's were sure that Yao would opt out of his contract to help the Rockets... Well there goes that theory..

16. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

mmm I don't know maybe it has to deal with Market access. Just look at the knicks #1.

That doesn't diminish the fact Revenues and value grew starting in 2002 for the Rockets.

Oh I know it must be the new stadium. Sure it helps but so do alot of Chinese endorsements. If a new stadium = always increased revenue, every team would want a new stadium right now in this slumping economy.

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

Those who say Yao's doing this purely out of pragmatism, is that really true?

Suppose the Knicks sign Lebron and use their remaining FA money to give Yao something like $12 mil a year for 6 years, why would Yao stay in Houston for 1 yr/$18 mil deal?

If Yao's truly looking out for #1, I really don't think staying in Houston is his best choice.

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Rockets would be stupid to give Yao anything near max contract. The guy has been through 4 or 5 foot/leg injuries. It is very likely that when he starts playing again, he will injure his leg again. Not his fault, its just that his body cant take it.

19. leebigez

The lux boxes are where its at. The old labtop was outdated and on the sw side of town vs the toyota center being downtown. The real estate prices are that much great downtown than on sw side alone. What i'm saying is when you know what you're doing and have access, you should generate revenue.

The pistons are in the worse part of the country with a city thats going backwards in terms of population and they still generate more revenue than the rockets. The bulls have been average for yrs and they also don't have that international guy and generate more revenue. Why? Because they have more people to sell rights to and can charge more for local tv and radio. Not to mention the united center has likek 400 suites at 250k per suite which trumps the toyota center. Even take a small market like sa who is right behind houston because they market the valley area. Laredo is right at 150mls from san antonio which also works in their favor, but its still 3m less than the houston metro area. I just don't think winning decisions shouldn't be linked to a player's value off the court. I pose the question to anyone, would the lakers decide to overpay a injury prone player just because he's a international face? Would san antonio act the same way and overpay for a guy? When you answer that, then thats the reason why they have been more successful than the rox to a degree.

20. leebigez

They do. Why do you think the sonics moved to ok city? Why do you think a great basketball city like sacramento wants a new stadium? Why do the nets want to move back in the city? The lux boxes,concessions,parking and local tv,radio,and cable is what generate the money for teams. Anything outside the 150 mile radius is put in the big pot. I've said it before, yao is more valuable to the league than he is the rockets. If the rockets got to keep all the yao money or benefits, then yeah, it would be a no brainer, but they don't.