1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey: We want stability

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 29, 2015.

?

Do you believe Morey is truly valuing stability this off season?

Poll closed Jun 12, 2015.
  1. Yes, I believe him

23.6%
  2. No, it's just lip service

17.0%
  3. Maybe, but everything changes if a star becomes available

55.7%
  4. I abstain, courteously

3.7%
  1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think he means it this time. I've been a big critic of him over the last few years, but I think he's finally on to something with this mix of players. And I think he knows it.

Let's just get a competent PG and a PF who can actually post up every once in a while without missing layups (like TJ) and without airballing jump hooks (like Dwight) and we're good.

2. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

Also, Can someone fill me in with why everyone is saying to dump/trade Ariza? I don't get it. Was his D not good enough this year? Did he not prove his worth?

3. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Sadly, this is the truth.

1) Our two best passers, Harden and Smith, are deeply turnover-prone. They want the ball, they feel that their game depends on it, and their decisions with it, while often spectacular, are not reliable enough to win four games out of seven against a team like the Warriors.

2) We don't have enough other guys who can create anything off the dribble. Howard's post-up is not reliable. Ariza is a terrific defender and an important ingredient on a championship team, but he can't create the way Parsons did. Beverley ain't got that, either. Motiejunas is a fine passer, but more as an intermediary. I doubt he's a sufficient playmaker.

3) Our team plays helter-skelter, and it may be that this is less a coaching (or non-coaching) style than a concession to the personalities of the players. The more I listen to Harden, the more I get the sense that he's a "feel" player, that this is how he plays best, and that he's thriving because he's allowed to do it. Ditto Smith. The problem is that this way of playing, while it can do amazing things now and then (such as Game 6 vs. the Clippers), is unlikely to get you through four playoff series. The odds are that you'll hit a dry spell where your moves aren't working or your shots aren't falling, and you don't have a strong enough system or playbook to get you enough reliable points to pull out enough games.

If we come back next year with this group, a few tweaks, and the same coach, we stand a good chance in the first round and a decent chance in the second. But beyond that? How many of you seriously think we'll go all the way? And is that OK with you? That's a serious question. It may be that this is simply what we have, and it's not realistic to think we could cash it in for a different kind of team, and the best we can do is roll with what we have and enjoy a few years in the playoffs and see what happens.

3 people like this.
  4. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

ahem, Motiejunas???:cool:

5. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

How DARE you summarize a phone call. Don't tell Morey his business!

:grin:

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

We're only stable until the next name pops up and Rockets are all over the place going for him or some team offers good money for our role players i

Morey always talks a good talk but his actions in most cases go on a different wavelength

7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I really, really like this post. It's really the best approach to take at this point in time. I've been uncomfortable with the constant roster churning . It's what Dawson was doing all those years with the only difference being that unlike Dawson, Morey is far better at finding basketball talent. That PG fix is going to be tough. The FA market for PGs looks pretty bare and they'll most likely get priced out of the market anyway. It may not be until the trade deadline before Morey is able to upgrade that position.

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I believe him. We aren't trading Arza under any circumstances. We will keep Terry and DMO and Capela so long as it is financially feasible. Beverley too if he doesn't get paid by Cuban.

You look at the template set by Golden State, San Antonio, Memphis, Atlanta, etc: continuity matters. Continuity wins championships. It takes 2-3 years for teammates to maximize their chemistry. This is the right move. The Rockets will keep getting better, and we only Need minor changes from here going forward.

9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Can the Rockets win it all next season? Depends on a lot of factors. First, obviously is health. We cannot lose key rotation players for the season right before the playoffs. Second, what kind of "tweaks" are we talking about? Adding a quality PG via trade? Signing a 3-point shooter with the MLE. Yeah, those would be significant enough moves to tilt the scales in our favor.

Third and most importantly, what does the rest of the Western Conference do? Do the Clippers lose DeAndre? Do the Blazers lose Aldridge? Does Memphis lose Gasol? Do the Spurs have anything left in the tank? Do the Mavs have any appeal to free agents? Are the Warriors able to bring everyone back given their cap situation?

Let's not forget that while the Rockets have their own issues to address, so does every other team including Golden State. And I like our current situation much more than just about every other team out there aside from the Warriors. So yes, I do think we can win it all next year(and beyond). It'll take some luck, but I'm honestly going into 2015-16 thinking championship and that was not the case this past season or the year before.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

"We want stability"
    "We like our roster as is; I don't see us making any trades at the deadline"
    "We will match the Parsons offer sheet"

Yup, totally believe these execs in print/radio interviews!

Do you believe in stability?

Do you believe if they bring back this exact team, they'll reach the Western Conference Finals again (or beyond: NBA Finals)?

Basically what Will said.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think that's what our team needs most. If we can just tweak our roster hopefully with a PG, that's all we need. It is doubtful that a major player trade will helps us that much.

12. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

While I want to believe him, Clutch's article mentioned that the Rockets are planning to make pitches to Love, LMA, and Gasol, all 3 of whom would require a number of moves.

IMO this entire offseason hinges on Llull - If he doesn't come over you're left scrambling to add the secondary playmaker that the team sorely needs. If he does come over you have 2 holes filled: 3 PT shooting depth + secondary creator and really only need to add another wing defender (Aminu could fill that role) to be set. He would also add further ammunition during a Gasol meeting, who is the only player I consider gutting the team for.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Stability? Sure. Only a blockbuster breaks up the core. Prigs/Papa/Dorsey/Johnson/TJo/Capela/even Bev being gone does not impact a reasonable NBA def of stability. Particularly when the MLE is earmarked amd a big trade is likely.

14. Dmo for 3mo

Dmo for 3mo Member

Stability until Lawson or Lowry becomes available.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Wait, what? In a Division where one game separated three teams? Two WC series went to 7 games? The Cubes were a 3-Seed in the East?

Please name every Western Conference team that will be a pushover in '15-'16. Nugs? Maybe, but still one of the two elite home courts. Minnie? There's a lot of talent even if likely back to lotto. Boogie and Georgie? Sac might win a few more games. The Utes, Lakes?

Brutal conference. Must. get. better. Or oops!

16. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Morey's track record say he has a itchy finger on the trigger 99% of the time. He has fooled us before. So I guess we'll see.

17. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

They should keep the team intact, maybe another pg if it's an upgrade. You don't get to the WCF without a solid team and chemistry and that's what we have right now.

18. Newlin

Newlin Member

Last season, The Warriors lost in the first round. I suspect that some Warrior fans didn't expect their current lineup to be able to cut it either. The Warriors did make a coaching change, and that probably helped. But more than anything, the Warriors had another year to develop chemistry, and young players blossomed into quality NBA players. Also, the Warriors were basically injury free.

While I know that there will be changes to the Rockets roster this offseason. If the Rockets returned next with the exact same roster, and remained healthy the entire year, then I think we would see an improved team.

I think you could make the argument that the Rockets as currently constructed are one of the top four teams in the league. So, Morey has to decide how much upside our current team has, and what are our chances of being able to catch up to the Warriors.

Golden State is a young and improving team, so it may be difficult for any team to close the gap in the near future.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

While he doesn't lay his cards out, I find Morey is always pretty honest in what he does say. And with this interview right after elimination and looking toward the offseason, his purpose is to set expectations. He doesn't want fans to go into the offseason expecting us to chase some big names and then be frustrated when all we get is Miles Plumlee. So, of course if a big opportunity comes he's going to take it, but chances are we're just going to be making minor changes and improving around the edges. I don't think that's for stability's own sake, though that's a benefit -- it's because we have a pretty good team that only needs minor changes, and because we don't really have the cap flexibility to be big players (especially if we want to be flexible for the big 2016 offseason).

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Stability does not mean bringing back same exact team. Rockets will likely try to keep Harden, Howard, Capela, DMo, Ariza, Brewer, and Terry. That's a relatively stable team considering how much of previous teams turned the rotation over. If Rockets get chance to add a third star, Ariza is likely gone with maybe Brewer.