1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey wants Dragic back - (Twitter)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TxCowboy96, Apr 26, 2012.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It was, and he should get credit for that, but there is nothing wrong with criticizing him when he makes misteps, he was going to get rid of Gogi and obviously did not see the massive upside that this kid has, which is scary when you think about Lin leaving too, another miss when they had the guy right under their noses.

I don't understand why Morey is like the Teflon guy here, he took the big job, he wears the big boy pants, he gets the credit and the criticism, and has earned both.

3 years at number 14 is unacceptable, the team has not gotten better under him, it has been treading water.

Even if you look at the big Stern veto...look what we would have gotten back vs lost.

Pau - would have been good.

Nene - broken down and saddled with a massive contract - WHEW, thank god we missed out.

Gogi - gone

So in essence that trade was not as good as it looked......

Morey is on the clock, he hired McHale, he stated they want to make the playoffs, he is IN CHARGE, and as such has to be held accountable for sub par results.

There are no excuses, either he advances this team forward or he doesn't, right now - he hasn't.

DD

2. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I would have agreed with the trade had it gone through. No mistake getting rid of Gogi as far as I'm concerned. If Gogi goes on to get 3 MVP's like Nash, then bummer.

No one knew Lin was any good. Not in college, not in Golden State, not in Houston, and not in New York. Their entire roster was injured for him to get a chance there.

BTW, has Gogi already walked??? How many guys has Morey let walk that he wanted to keep? I don't see a mistake that hasn't happened already.

Also, aren't you one of the people that types out interviews that Morey does on the radio for everyone else to see? If you hate his PR, you sure lap it up quickly.

3. DaDakota

No, that would be HS9, I started the trend with other radio interviews primarily JVG at the time.

I agree he has not lost any Free agents yet....and it is a wait and see scenario.

I am done here, I think I have said how I feel, enough...lol.

DD

4. Doctor Robert

What if the team were in a plane crash? Would that be an excuse?

Obviously, THERE ARE excuses. Circumstances impact everything. We lost two all world players a couple years ago. What if the Rocket lose Gogi, then trade for Lebron and go on to win 6 championships... Oh WAIT, that was in a parallel universe. WE F**CKING FIRED MOREY because you posted 2,353 times and Les was finally convinced.

I guess you made a mistake.

5. DaDakota

If I was paid by the organization and not some fan on an internet message board, you might have a point.

But since I am just a fan, who is voicing my opinion and doesn't get paid to make those calls, then I can't be wrong.

:)

Nice "What if" game you are playing there doc, must be fun for the kids in the car ride.

What if, we get Lebron?

What if, we get the 13th pick?

What if, our .05% nets us a top 3 pick?

Hey, that was fun.

DD

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yes, Paul Allen the billionaire owner who stepped into the lockout discussions in November to further dismantle the agreement the NBPA and the NBA were making progress on to get the CBA that he himself was gunning for.

Yes, the Paul Allen who wipes his you know what with 100 dollar bills, but he is still an owner who plays within the confines of the CBA when negotiating contracts. I am positive that he is smart enough to care how his salary cap is managed. He takes advantage of the parameters that are in the cba. He isn't going to allow himself to become a victim of the new CBA.

Its important to realize the owners wealth should not be tied to what they should or shouldn't do to manage their salary cap. Realize that their assets(players) are tradeable commodities, and their value to other teams(production vs. cost) is almost more important to building your team then anything else. At some point, your going to make trades. You need assets you can trade and that are attractive to other buyers.

Making deals like signing Goran to the max wouldn't necessarily hamper your franchise because your owner cant afford it, it would hamper your franchise because the other owner cant afford him when you need to move him to upgrade your team. Even everyone's favorite owner Mark Cuban has had to change his cap management philosophy going into this season.

I agree that Paul Allen will overpay, but he's not going to go all the way into a territory that will be anywhere near max level for Goran. He's too smart to do that. Larry Coon wrote months ago that the new CBA is setup to allow a team to essentially carry two max contracts, 4 to 5 mid level contracts, and 5 to 7 low level contracts.

Portland will not consider Goran the missing piece next to Aldridge and the 1-2 punch they need to win the title. You can almost guarantee that they have bigger things in mind.

Even though we all think Paul Allen and the Blazers will heavily pursue Dragic, its unwise to believe he does not have a cap on how much he's willing to spend on him.

I do however agree that it is best served for Morey to be as proactive as possible with this situation, but in this case I would come up with different comparables of PG figures around the league vs the production to show him and his agent the fair market price.

However, you must, must, must stick to your guns or his agent will use other teams as leverage to jump the bid up as much as possible. For negotiating purposes, you never want to be the first bidder ever.

7. Doctor Robert

I thought you made this entire thread about a "what if"... the scenario where Morey treats Gogi badly (speculation), pisses him off with a low ball offer (speculation), doesn't realize the impact that Gogi could have on this team in the future (speculation), and lets him walk to another team without even the opportunity to sign and trade (speculation).

8. DaDakota

Fair enough, I will concede your point good sir.

DD

9. AFS

AFS Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/s3Q80mk7bxE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  10. Doctor Robert

NOW we're in a parallel universe :)

You may continue with the speculation.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Exactly, everyone on here is just speculating the worst case scenario and these arguments are most likely going to be worthless on July 11th.

We know the Rockets want him back so thats step 1. We know Goran wants to be back here so thats step 2. Lets just let Morey do the negotiating and see what deal he ends up getting.

Also pay attention to draft day on June 28th. There could be major movement that opens the door for this discussion to really take flight or crash & burn.

12. gregas

gregas Member

Yes, because having an MVP type of a player on your roster hurts your chances at a championship considerably:rolleyes:

13. Doctor Robert

The other thing is, if Goran wants to move to Portland, then there is absolutely no amount of money that will change that. It's not just free agency. It's free will.

14. Nook

Nook Member

You are so full of fail.

#1 We would still have Lin had we completed the Gasol deal.

#2 According to you Nene was NEVER coming to the Rockets, and now you are claiming we would be "stuck" with him... so which is it? Further, Denver didn't seem to have any problem trading him.

#3 The Rockets may well have been the #3 seed this year with Gasol and Lin. Yeah, it would have been a good deal trading Martin, Scola and a free agent Dragic for Gasol.

#4 How are capable of bathing yourself or feeding yourself? I seriously hope you are not allowed to drive a car or play with sharp objects. You are Isiah Thomas and Frank Layden rolled into one with a splash of Meatloaf thrown in as well.

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

you must not have watched basketball until recently, and somebody must have told you that cuban chose not to re-sign a relative unknown in steve nash several years back.

to fill you in: nash was awesome while on the mavericks, and mark cuban was well aware of the player he was letting go, and the risk involved. and it worked out for him. he was right, and his risk was rewarded. give me (and him) the 1 (minimum) championship that he did win, instead of the several more hypothetical ones that you want to pretend that he would have won if he kept nash.

u and that other guy are insulting mark cuban by lumping him in to the same ball of idiocy that morey rolls around in.

16. gregas

gregas Member

O really?

"I'll say it now, if you would have told me Steve would have been playing eight years later I would have bet any amount of money you'd be wrong.
    "The thing about Steve is his discipline. I knew he was disciplined, but I thought he would fall apart before it mattered,'' Cuban said. "All the advice I got from everybody we had was that he was going to fall apart. He proved us wrong -- and more power to him.
    "I give him a lot of credit. He proved me definitely wrong.''

17. Prince

Prince Member

Dragic is going back to Phoenix.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Hn-enjcgV1o#t=1m0s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. gregas

gregas Member

Just to clarify, Cuban let Nash go because he thought he was going to fall apart physically. Nash improved, became the MVP and is still playing today. He was wrong - he admits it.

20. cardpire

cardpire Member

wrong about what?? him falling apart physically? sure. but, not only is that irrelevant either way, but it is also a comment that he seemingly made on a post-championship honeymoon cloud (hey look at me! i'll admit my error about nash because i won a championship without him and could care less! let's throw stevie a bone!). where in there does he say he say anything about regretting letting him go? nowhere. because he doesn't. because he won an nba championship without him, and never really lost a step without him from the day he left.