1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey wants Dragic back - (Twitter)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TxCowboy96, Apr 26, 2012.

1. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

So you're saying that the Bobcats should do whatever it takes to keep their best player with the most upside? Say paying the max or turning down a trade for a legit star?

You are seriously doubling down.

I don't know whether you 1) really believe this, 2) are too stubborn to admit when you're not making sense, 3) are the just trolling, or 4) just don't get that the worst thing is to overpay under the CBA's more restrictive salary cap. Two of these options point to character issues that can be overcome through introspection. The other two can be overcome by thinking through it more seriously.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You match, period, you don't repeat mistakes like Cuban made when he let Nash go.

All of these other guys that some of you are mentioning were not PGs.....

You keep Dragic, no matter what the cost.

If you don't agree with me, fine, then you are wrong.

:)

DD

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You never answered my question from earlier-

You cant just say pay him anything, and then turn around and say that they should match an offer for the max if thats what a team like the Bobcats offer him. Either there is a line in the sand or their isnt. If you honestly think the Rockets should match a ridiculous offer like that then fine, we will agree to disagree, you but you have to have a stance on that one way or the other or you are contridicting yourself.

4. DaDakota

I would match any offer, been pretty clear about it.....if a team makes an outrageous offer, you match it, period.

KEEP YOUR ASSETS.....

DD

5. dobro1229

Ok. I guess you would consider Goran Dragic on a MAX contract An "Asset." I will agree to disagree with that all day long.

6. Nook

Nook Member

You earlier said you would match any offer AND offer more money AND an extra year.

7. dobro1229

You cant offer more than the Max with an extra year which is what DD would apparently pay for Goran.

8. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Why didn't I read this thread sooner? The season might be over for the Rockets, but DD is still in mid season form! Someone fire Morey and give the GM job to DD; I'm ready to finally tank!

9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gotta agree with DaDa on this one. Pay the man his money .. I don't think it's going to be ridiculous...I'm guessing 8- 9 Million/yr.
    The negotiations have obviously already started. While I expect there to be some back and forth, I, too would like to see less propaganda in the media. But this is the nature of the beast now. At the end of the day, I expect Soarin Goran to be our PG (at market) and Kyle to get dealt for real value. (most likely a high quality big, via the draft (hope, hope), or an established vet like Gasol, Howard, etc.)

Bottom line - Dragic is on his way to becoming at the very least a borderline elite PG. He is a major piece, not to be trifled with. Don't get too cute ..Lock him down.

And for all you folks, doubting Goran, saying we lost all those games at the end. C'mon....That was our late fade for the pick. This guy led an undermanned team to quality victories over the best teams in the League while putting up serious numbers. He is a keeper.

10. cardpire

cardpire Member

nope. 2nd worst next to keeping them in the 7-10 seed range for 3+ years.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I suppose I'm wrong then. I'd keep him if I could...but I wouldnt break the bank on it. I think comparing Dragic to Nash is an incredible reach. Nash is one of the greatest playmakers the game has ever seen...Dragic MIGHT be an all star someday.

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

mistakes that cuban made?? he knew he was getting rid of a good player. he won a championship last year. i'm guessing, no, i know, cuban wouldn't change a damn thing if he could go back in time.

13. rocketsmetalspd

After years of waiting for true PG, the Rockets should make the mistake and let Dragic leave as a FA. The organization should do everything to keep him and Lee.

Next years roster will be different but I am hoping for the following players to be kept:

Scola, Dragic, Lee, Parsons, Budinger, Camby, Smith, Morris, and Patterson.

14. rocketsmetalspd

opps should not make the mistake

15. DaDakota

But Nash WASN'T when Cuban failed to match the contract.....he let an up an coming elite PG walk....and it cost them probably a couple of titles.

Let's not make the same mistake.

Must keep Goran he is the best player with the most upside on the team, and his ceiling is MUCH higher than the other guy.

DD

16. gregas

gregas Member

You know! LOL Than Cuban must have been lying when he said that was the most regrettable decision he made as an owner.

I think the Rockets should keep him if they're able to get him at a reasonable price and capitalize on Lowry.

I wouldn't overpay him drastically, but some of you are ridiculous when you're "hypothetically" implying a max contract. Might as well discuss what would you do if a team "hypothetically" offers him a mermaid in marriage, a magic carpet and his very own unicorn.

17. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Are you talking about Paul Allen? One of the richest men in the world. Salary cap, we don't care about no stinking salary cap Paul Allen. The Paul Allen who has consistently paid over the luxury tax and looks for ways to circumvent the luxury tax. The Paul Allen who just amnestied Brandon Roy for multimillions so he could clear capspace to sign more players for multimillions. The Paul Allen who wasted another 8 million on a broken Oden just to have another looksie.

Paul Allen will price Goran higher than his value because Goran is a FREE AGENT! I emphasize the word FREE. He doesn't have to give away any assets. He doesn't have to waste a draft pick on him. And after Deron, Goran is probably the best free agent available. At a spot they most need help.

Think about the scenario. They have two lottery picks. There are no premier point guards worth taking where they will pick. Signing Dragic could allow them to pick Beal and Sullinger if they get a little lucky. Imagine a starting five of Lamarcus Aldridge, Beal, Batum, Sullinger and Dragic with Wesley Mathews coming off the bench and they still have two second round picks to fill up some holes and if they manage there money right could pick up another free agent center to backup Sullinger. The ability to put that squad on the court in less than 6 months after you decided to rebuild is price less.

I expect the minimum Allen will offer Dragic is 4 years 50 million right out the gate. Because he knows half of negotiating is letting the player know he is deeply wanted. Allen won't be playing no cat and mouse games. He will roll out the red carpet and show him he is their future point guard forever. And that Goran will never have to worry about being traded overnight like a cheap asset by backstabbing Morey.

Paul Allen will weigh the market value and then overpay Dragic a couple of million more than that. He will overpay because Dragic helps kickstart the rebuilding process instantly. They become a young team on the rise instantly. If they don't make the playoffs next year with that squad they will the following year and they will have another lottery pick and MLE free agent to boot.

Paul Allen will price Dragic out of the market and don't say we can offer more years and higher pay raises. That only matters if you are talking max contract. Otherwise Paul Allen can offer more money in less years. Do the math which is better? Especially for a young player who is sure to get another contract.

The best Morey will be able to do is match the offer and Les will be sick to do so. If we comeback after Paul Allen has wined and dined Dragic and showed him the beautiful Portland area to Goran and his girlfriend and treated them like royalty. And then Morey comes straggling in with his head between his ass and says will we can match it and we love you and really want you here. And Goran remembers wait a minute, you didn't want me here a year ago. How do I know you won't dump me again.

The only thing Houston has in their favor is he likes it here and he likes his teammates but already after the last Portland game I saw Portland players going over to him and talking to him. The only chance Houston stands is if they are pro active. Don't wait for Paul Allen to make an offer that makes them sick to match. Roll out the red carpet now and treat him like the future now. Promise himLowry is gone and give him a no trade clause and assess what you think Paul Allen will offer and offer it first! If not the writing is on the wall and I think we have may have seen the last of Dragic as a Rocket. And if that is the case someone needs to b****slap Les and fire Morey.

#157 Old Man Rock, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  18. cardpire

cardpire Member

he said that when the decision was made. it's called damage control with the fans.

but yeah, you're probably right. cuban would probably rather have had nash and his 2 mvp's than an nba championship. :rolleyes:

19. DaDakota

The two are not exclusive he could have had both, and more championships.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

DD

20. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Nevermind that Morey was the guy that traded Aaron Brooks for him in the first place, and if he didn't make that trade, you wouldn't be b****ing about it right now. It wasn't another GM in this league that grabbed him.