1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey wants Dragic back - (Twitter)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TxCowboy96, Apr 26, 2012.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

A PG that isn't an All-star making > $10 million per season isn't an asset any longer; it's a cap killer. Look at Josh Smith!

2. gah

gah Member

Yes, people originally thought he was overpaid but don't exaggerate, he is not worth more than what he is getting paid, specially since he didn't show significant progress this season and is not likely to show it in the future.

Not happy with the big picture? Fine, flame on, but I don't understand why criticize Morey over little things like these. Specially since it is clear he's just playing the political game. He gets fans involved, he then proceeds to compile all the positive comments and show them to the player. Player appreciates the gesture for what it is: A thoughtful tiny detail, nothing more, nothing less. Wash, rinse and repeat.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, I think they have to keep him regardless. Take the tactic that they will match any and all offers with an extra year and max raises to try to scare away the competition and then do it if forced to.

Even if you have to overpay him a bit, you can always trade him later.

What I don't want to be is Cuban who let Nash go over a measily $5 million over 4 years.....that was STUPID then and it would be stupid for Morey today.

DD

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'd rather pay Smith to bring what he does than a max contract to Joe Johnson.

5. DaDakota

All star is meaningless...production matters, all star means fans like you....not who is the better player.

Dragic played at an elite PG level, or near elite, and that is as he is just starting out.

Got to keep him....no matter what the cost.

DD

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

My "line in the sand" is 9 million per for 4 years.

7. DaDakota

Fair enough, I would not put a line, and deal with what the market bares.

DD

8. REEKO_HTOWN

There you have an example of what the Rockets could become if you "spend whatever to keep good players/ no matter what the cost".

DD wants the Rockets to be the Hawks. A mediocre PLAYOFF team.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Signed,

Rashard Lewis
    Gilbert Arenas
    Joe Johnson
    Juwan Howard

10. gah

gah Member

Elite level would mean he would lead his team to important victories. He was not elite during the collapse, still pretty good, but to me elite means carrying your team and giving them a good chance to win. Do you thing Dragic is a franchise player?

11. conquistador#11

can we offer batum much more than the market 'bares' just so portland has to match therefor less money to offer the slasher?

12. gah

gah Member

I wouldn't want to enter an Ar(test)iza situation with them.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Your contridicting yourself. You say "They have to keep him regardless" but NO they shouldn't match an offer made for the max if a stupid team like the Bobcats make a ridiculous offer to Goran.

It can only be one or the other here. There is either a limit to the amount you give him or there isn't. Make a choice.

I know this is in theory and the Rockets will not have to pay the max to keep him, but you need to be able to answer to this ongoing argument you keep stringing along.

Is there really a limit, or do you seriously believe he is worth "ANYTHING?"

14. REEKO_HTOWN

See, I'd rather pay Batum $9 million a year because he adds to a position of NEED! Batum would start here. We have a Starting caliber PG in Lowry (who has proven it) if Goran leaves.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Gonna agree with you on this one.

Not only is he a great young player, he's a likable dude, probably coach-friendly; and keeping him would require Les and Morey to (drum roll please) not screw up.

There's plenty of cap space can be had w/o worrying about paying Dragic. I'm guessing it'll take a salary averaging $7.5/8 million for whatever amount of years the new CBA allows.

If some team/s offer/s him $10,000,000 a year, however, we're ****ed. (But I don't think any team will.)

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Portland would match anyway.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is no No matter what the cost is.... because we didn't make the playoffs... might as well start from scratch with the contracts
    The risk is not just overpaying him... overpaying him and him getting complacent and his production dropping after the raise

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Nuff said. We won't match if the "market" overpays.

DD is acting like Dragic is in the elite class of Deron Williams, Paul, or Rose. ZOMG!! We must re-sign the guy I was hatin on last season. Downgrade from AB. LULZ.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

Yeah because their next best options at SF would be Shawne Williams or Luke Babbit:p

20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

just a reminder incase you all forgot, the Rockets can offer more guaranteed years and more $$$ than anyone else.