1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey wants Dragic back - (Twitter)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TxCowboy96, Apr 26, 2012.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Fans don't matter, that is the point, so yes, it is pointless.

Players will follow the money, and the opportunity to start.

DD

2. DaDakota

Paying a guy $13 a year does not handcuff a franchise especially if he is averaging 18-9 per game.....

What has happened is that fans have forgotten that you have to PAY TO PLAY.

DD

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm not worried because Morey is driven by facts and statistics. The argument of overpaying Big men as opposed to guards (that aren't stars) is a valid argument. This notion of keeping really good players no matter the cost is ludicrous.

4. DaDakota

Worker bee mentality right there.

DD

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Look at the example of the Washington Wizards back when they were making playoff appearances with Arenas, Butler, Jamison (plus Brandon Hayward, etc.).

These guys are all good players-- key players to above-average teams, in fact. But having them locked in at too-expensive contracts ultimately was not helpful to the team. Arenas became a poison contract after his gun incident, but he never had much value after getting the $110 million contract. Neither Jamison nor Butler had off-court issues, but the Wizards never had the cap flexibility to add to that core and eventually traded them for not much productive talent in return.

There are plenty other examples where signing a good player to a bad contract hurts the team more than simply not signing anybody.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

and yours is an Isaiah Thomas one.

7. DaDakota

LOL - touche'

If the Rockets let Gogi walk, they will be making a major mistake, he has elite skills....

He will be a 20-10 guy in the league at the PG spot.....you got to find a way to keep those guys.

Lowry will never be that good....he is just not as talented.

DD

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Not at all. I think Dragic has more upside, and he's therefore worth more money than Lowry. I think a contract similar to Scola's is fair. Around 9-10 million per season. If you can get him at that number, look to trade Lowry plus Martin/Scola for some other significant pieces.

I'm just saying this: when we already have a solid starting PG on the team and there are more pressing issues at other positions, its merely a matter of practicality that you don't spend unbounded amounts of money for another PG (who, while talented, isn't a sure-thing to be a bonafide star).

9. DaDakota

I doubt anyone offers him a MAX deal, and probably something near what you just said.....

There are a lot of teams with cap room though.....Morey has the upper hand he can offer more guaranteed years and more $$$ than anyone else....

If he loses Gogi, it will be a major mistake on his part.

Lowry is not good enough....they should have sold high on him last offseason.

DD

10. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

LMAO!

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

13 Million is pretty ridiculous and about 6 to 7 Million a year for a 3 year plus 4th year player option should be about right. I think 13mm would be insane to offer in this new CBA era, and with the surplus of all-star calliber point guards on the market now, there just is a short list of buyers looking for a Starting PG AND have cap space to use on Goran.

12. DaDakota

People arguing about numbers is stupid.....you got to pay the market rate.

PGs that have his ability and average 18-9 are worth every penny.

Just because Lowry is underpaid does not mean you underpay everyone.

DD

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If he loses Dragic when he can have him at 5 million, its a HUGE mistake.

If he loses Dragic when he can have him at 8 million, its a big mistake.

If he loses Dragic when he can have him at 10 million, its a mistake.

If he loses Dragic when he can have him at 13 million, to me its not a mistake.

See? How big a mistake it is, or whether its a mistake at all, depends on how much money it will cost to keep him.

14. Toothless_Texan

RUN GORAN RUN!!!!

15. Raven

Raven Member

Until the Rockets get a super star, there is not one player on the current roster that we have to keep. As I have said a million times, we are doing this backwards. First you get the franchise player, then you worry about everything else. My hunch is that Dragic is gone. Seriously, if the pay and minutes are equal, Portland (the city) over Houston (the city) every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

16. dje243

dje243 Member

Signing Dragic as early as possible opens up the market for a Lowry trade.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Its only important to keep Dragic if its on a good contract.

Rockets should never be overpaying players on a non playoff team.

Making Dragic feel welcome and wanted can only help the Rockets going into negotiations.

18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!

19. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

If Dragic asks for more than $10M, then you have to let go, you can not spend too much money on a good PG when we have another good PG Lowry who is making only $6M. It is very simple decision.

20. Stepping Razor

That pretty much summarizes Morey/Moneyball. :p