1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey to blame?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NL Rocket, Jan 22, 2013.

1. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

2. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Looks like Royce White is someone who will never see the floor as well... Maybe should have went with Fab Melo, Sullinger, PJ3, etc... Regardless it was a waste of a 1st round pick which is a crucial mistake when trying to rebuild a team.. He took a roll of the dice and lost... I guess with that MIT education he thought he was smarter than every other GM in the NBA..

And just like Batum, Rudy Gay is another very good player Morey had his hands on and traded (Yes, I know that trade was to help the Rockets try to win a championship but how did that work out..???)... So in all these years Parsons is the only good draft pick in a Rockets uniform that Morey has to hang his hat on and that's not saying much (although I strongly believe Jones was a good pick)...

Last year we went from having two very good point guards to what we have now... Is JLin worth that $24 million...???

Alexander is paying Scola to play in Phoenix, when he would be a great help to this young team now. At least they would have someone who is consistent offensively in the paint.

McHale's coaching history was unsuccessful and disastrous in Minnesota so no need to be surprised by the play we see on the court now... Yes they do have a unexpected winning record but that's on the talent of Harden (and others) and not McHale.

Morey has no real legitimate NBA basketball experience. Alexander must have read the Moneyball book and fell in Love with Morey. And a GM with no basketball background and a guy who shouldn't even be coaching is a recipe for disaster.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

PREACH

4. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

I don't believe anyone could do a better job to put it this way.

5. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

14. Houston Rockets: Patrick Patterson
    15. Milwaukee Bucks: Larry Sanders (6'11" size, NBA #1 shot blocker)

14. Houston Rockets: Marcus Morris
    16. Philadelphia 76ers: Nikola Vucevic (7'0" size, top NBA rebounder, improving scorer)
    22. Denver Nuggets: Kenneth Faried (great motor, top NBA rebounder, improving scorer)

16. Houston Rockets: Royce White
    18. Houston Rockets: Terrence Jones
    19. Orlando Magic: Andrew Nicholson (6'10", higher ceiling PF)
    21. Boston Celtics: Jared Sullinger (far better scorer, rebounder)

F you, Morey!!!

1 person likes this.
  6. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I'm not wasting my time with the rest of your post, but four words on your NBA basketball experience thing: Isiah Thomas. Sam Presti.

7. proudfoot

proudfoot Member

We're over .500, despite having an absolutely awful schedule - have one legitimate superstar, and loads of cap space.

We have a absolutely ridiculously young team which will only get better over the years - whats so bad about this?

8. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

I don't believe Morey thinks the mid-range shot is as bad as most people make it out to be. Rather, I think he sees this roster as being generally incapable of making shots from the 6-20ft range, and subsequently encourages the coaching staff to design our offense around shots at the rim and 3s. If we had a post player, then I think we'd see a lot more midrange offennse.

I also don't think McHale is that incompetent of a coach. You could do a lot worse, in fact. Did you ever maybe consider that they try to run set plays, but a young lineup like ours (youngest in the league) struggles to run half court sets. OKC is a good example - their brand of basketball isn't very sharp (lots of iso plays), but they're still a very young team, so it makes a lot of sense.

You could also take into consideration our absolute lack of an inside threat, which makes it very hard to run half court sets. Last season, when we had Scola, the team did have a decent variety of half court sets, but those came with having inside and outside scoring punches in Lowry, Dragic and Scola. Right now, the team doesn't have that, and until they do, I think the team benefits more from playing 'without a playbook.'

9. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

When you look at that Morey kind of screwed up, but let's be real here, the coaching and management decisions aren't complementary at the moment. Patterson has a decent post game but that's never developing because he doesn't get those opportunities on the court.

Jones played spectacular in summer league, pre-season and d-league but he was never given a proper opportunity to be integrated into the rotation.

Royce White was McHale's pick and a home-run gamble.

Larry Sanders was absolute trash and is still very raw. The difference is that he's being developed with rotation minutes at the Bucks. Would he have become what he was playing in Houston? Would Faried?

10. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

Larry Sanders was a very good 6'10" prospect coming out of college.

Today, he's averaging 8.5 rebounds and 3.2 blocks (#1 in the NBA) in just 25 minutes per game.

That's light years better than any PF on the Rockets, including the shorter Patrick Patterson (4.6 rebounds, 0.6 blocks) and Marcus Morris (4.0 rebounds, 0.3 blocks) who play similar minutes, but neither of whom defend or rebound.

As for Kenneth Faried, the Rockets fast paced system would have been perfect for him. Faried was the #1 rebounder in NCAA Div. 1 and is a top rebounder in the NBA.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

San Antonio is ranked 6th in the NBA in 3 pointers attempted. 5th in 3pt%. All of their perimeter players are superior 3pt shooters. They once took in Bruce Bowen, a guy who could defend and nothing else, and molded him until he could shoot the 3. They also have a big man in Duncan who's as good a jumpshooting big as any.

So yeah, San Antonio cares about being able to shoot as much as any team in the NBA.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

So you're saying 20/20 hindsight >>>> Morey when it comes to finding talent?

Great. Have a cookie. Perhaps you can go to NBA front offices and offer them your services on the ability to find great players from previous years.

13. psingh34

psingh34 Member

I think in hiring mchale the rockets wanted to go towards the celtics model and have a coach that is good at motivating the team and someone players would respect and then put a coaching staff around him that would handle the offense and defense xs and os... I dont think mchale was ever hired to handle that aspect of the team, that is why we hired the assitant coaches taht we did

14. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

I like Morey and I think he is one of the best GM in the league.

Morey picked McHale, he probably expected McHale using his championship experience to lead a team of veterans. Ever since he hired McHale, Morey had been trying relentlessly to acquire all-star/superstar players (i.e. Pau Gasol, Howard...) to Houston till the past summer, but to no avail.

After last season we failed to get into the playoffs, unwilling to be forever mediocre, Morey started to blow up the whole team and built a youngest team in the league. Fortunately shortly before the season starts, Harden, also very young, just fell into Morey's lap.

A team full of rookies and sophomores needs an Xs and Os coach who will teach them the fundamentals, e.g. properly setting picks, defense rotations/help defense, techniques of defending without having to foul, basic offense sets, which obviously all have been lacking from half-season games the team has played. McHale is not an Xs and Os coach (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...n-McHale-not-an-X-s-and-O-s-ty?urn=nba,128193) and he is probably not cut to coach such a young team.

Morey probably didn't expect himself to blow up a team only one year after he hired McHale. Obviously Morey wont fire McHale. But I wonder privately how Morey feels about McHale coaching such a brand new youngest team.

If Morey had to be blamed, I would blame him for building a brand new team not in sync with the coach's contract. In other words, I would blame him for not being flexible enough on McHale's contract. But in all fairness to Morey, no proud people, let alone McHale with his background, would accept a coaching contract of only one year.

Now Morey and McHale are on the same boat. Unless McHale decides to resign, Morey has to make it work for this team. But honestly I just don't see how.

15. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

That makes sense, thanks for that explanation.

True, thanks for the insight!

16. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

you can always tell the rockets employees by their posts, blindly defending the front office, which is then quoted by their coworkers

17. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

really, mchale sure ran the celtics model in minnesota and motivated them to countless lottery selections
    and if i saw that, then im damn sure the high iq gm who's job is basketball related should have seen it

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Think again on the validity of the "young" excuse

Yeah its still the GM responsible for the rosters, but they're still on schedule considering their youth

19. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Sam Presti learned at the University Of The San Antonio Spurs he was involved with building that team (He's the reason they went after Tony Parker).. Presti learned from one of the best coaches ever in the NBA... He understands how a team should be coached and what should be expected from a coach so he's able to help his coaches at OKC. Morey doesn't have that type of background don't even see how you can compare the two.

And Isaiah Thomas failed as a GM and coach. Reminds me of McHale... That's a good comparison you came up with there :grin:

20. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Oh, and don't forget the Joe Smith incident... That Stern came down hard on McHale and that organization for. Minnesota was never the same afterwards. It was all downhill from there. And he knew he was so bad as a GM he gave KG (his franchise player) to Boston so he could win a ring because he knew he couldn't put a team together in Minnesota.

I don't know why people talk like McHale was such a great GM.