1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey to be on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Horry33, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday Member

I think Morey's mannerisms and demeanour are overblown with regards to getting players to come here. All that stuff is secondary to having players on the roster that Free Agents want to play with and having the city be an attractive place to play. Those are the important factors to make more impressive, not the GM's demeanour.

There are of course the well publicised top tier free agents, but to give a slightly lesser example - Batum is currently wanting to got Minnesota because he wants to play with Rubio. The competency of the front office there is not something that factors into his decision. All Morey has to do is find a player that others will want to come and play with, and we can be a force in the FA market. Easier said than done though.

ST

2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

lol - true. I can hear Grunwald now..."You b_____s"

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

because i'm not a rookie, i won't start a "have patience" thread. But that's exactly what I think the fan-base needs to hear. I am not here to blindly defend Morey. One of his principle mistakes was not starting the rebuilding process last year, after the Gasol trade was nixed by "Stern the Prick" (that's how he should be refered to by all Houstonians from now on). But it looks like we finally are starting the rebuilding process, and it's going to take some time. I, for one, am excited by the prospect of seeing young talent develop, and in this, the coaching staff is going to have to bare a lot of responsiblity. But if we do this right, with a little luck, we could be back competing at a high level in a couple of years; and not just for a couple of years, but for the long-term. We do have to have patience though. I can't say that i have a lot of faith in the coaching staff at this point, but hopfully they exceed expectations. And as far as Morey goes, I do honestly believe in the plan he is now laying out. If we stick to it, in my opinion, we will be successful.

So i hope the fan-base will have patience, as we begin this new chapter in our organziational history. After all ...there's no where to go from here but up ;)

4. Granville

Granville Member

It's tough to create enthusiasm and sell tickets when you tell your fans that you are in the middle phase of constructing a **** sandwich.

5. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

What's wrong with bringing OJ Mayo in?

6. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

He's a nice player, but it would be another bandaid on the mediocrity. Plus he would take developmental minutes away from Lamb.

7. smuduffy

smuduffy Member

I was wondering how he felt about dealing Lowry, his gem he found in Memphis and he seemed the most attached to him out of anyone. that was interesting to hear.

8. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

What I heard was lowballing Morey at work as usual. Go after stars but not if it costs him flexibility. Go after restricted free agents but hey they are not important if we dont get them. Lowry was worth nothing but a first round pick and Aaron Brooks.

Those are thoughts of a guy who just does not get it. Maybe should keep some of them quiet.

9. arjun

arjun Member

podcast!?!?

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I think you have a hearing problem. Morey said he won't sign good players (Dragic, Lee and The such) to Deals that sacrifice flexibility aka. Cap space.

Morey offered the Max to Marc Gasol. He doesn't have a problem spending big money for Size and Star players.

11. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

REPPED!

12. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

I'm actually fine with actual tanking.

It doesn't make sense to tank if you offer Asik and Lin that much money.

I think the approach of playing the rookies and younger players is completely fine in my book because I have been a proponent of tanking this entire time.

I just hope these guys don't overachieve and get a pick in the range of 10-14

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Yeah... I don't know if it would be a wise move, but it would be funny. If we can't have a successful offseaon, at least have a funny one.

14. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Everyones hearing is just fine after all these years. It is what it is.

15. anchel

anchel Member

16. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Yes if:

"lowballing" - offering less than what other teams offer.

"not important if we don't get them" - not in the scheme of assembling a championship level team.

"thoughts of a guy who does not get it" - that does not agree with The Tato Matis?

So what's your strategy.

-----

17. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone ripping Morey for his strategy and demeanor on the radio interview should take a listen to Mavs GM Donnie Nelson on the radio this morning. He pretty much echos what Morey says about the new NBA and the importance of "assets" and cap space.

Cuban and Nelson are getting roasted just as bad as Les and Morey are and the just delivered a championship to their fans.

Here's the link to the podcast.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

his strategy, and strategy of many other complainers, is to have no strategy. Speaking of a strategy opens one up to criticisms and plausibility issues that happen in the real world. But complaining about others has no downside. After all, one can spin any information as negative by framing the issue a certain way. Fox News is the master at this.

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

For example, CJ Watson may be available shortly --

20. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Seconded - except that the Chron doesn't pay enough for Rileydog to leave his day job ...