1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey to be on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Horry33, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

At least now the direction is clear:

A star or rebuilding, no more be competitive.

we lost two years to finally decide that, but we can finally know were are we going. I predict that, in the same moment we let Dragic go (we should keep him anyways)

If we dont get Byrum or howard the future will be:

- getting some value for lee and Camby and maybe scola and Martin
    - taking bad contracts for pics
    - wainting
    - try to enjoy our rookies
    - a long 2012-2013
    - a fun 2013-2014

2. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Sorry to reply to myself, but one more thought -- for those who think NBA players are businessmen and don't need to be recruited, give that some real thought.

Lots of these guys are young. All of them have been recruited their whole lives. Their peer group is a bunch of NBAers, and bragging rights and cred matters.

Don't you think someone has previously said to Lowry -- man, you bust your ass for that team and you have a crap contract and a GM that don't pay. It's impossible for that to not be relevant.

Hell, I'm an educated man and recruiting played a very important part of all my employment decisions.

1 person likes this.
  3. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Actually feeling sorry for Morey now. Looks like he went all in with 1 last big swing and struck out. Now he has to rebuild which personally I've been looking forward to.

4. arjun

arjun Member

Hey guys is the podcast up? could not find it

thanks

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dragic was initially developed in PHO and with help of Nash. Now he is the successor... a well planned move IMO

6. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Is one years player option worth not having a high level starting PG for the next 2-3 years?

And why Brooks? WHY? Has anyone heard his name mentioned to any other team? Im talking about NBA teams here not Chinese Clubs.

7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Heard the interview and Morey was his usual obtuse self. Did not expect him to be otherwise. I have to agree with you here. I, also, was calling for them to rebuild so I am not upset with what's happened if it brings in young players with upside. My only question concerns McHale and the coaching staff - I don't feel that McHale is the right coach for a team full of young players who need to be developed given his lackluster coaching resume. I also question his commitment to the idea of rebuilding as well. It wouldn't surprise me in the least for him to be gone after this next season.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

It is if you plan to make major roster changes.

For example, if the Rockets want to go after a FA in 3 years, should they clear $17mil of cap, or $8mil? They can't know because of the player option. On the flip side, if they clear $17mi for a star, Dragic blows up in year 3, opts out and ask for the max, then the Rockets will have to re-up and miss their opportunity.

For someone of Lebron/Durant caliber, you don't care because they are stars. But I don't want my team to have trouble building because of Goran Dragic.

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

The Houston Chronicle desperately needs you! The quality of fan posts often amazes me. There are so many, and this is one of them.

10. Sanity2disChaos

I think we are the only team ( other than the bobcats ) That's has No star or upcoming future star( I.e... Gordon, Davis, Granger type players ).... That's sad....

There is No face of the franchise and No player to really look forward to lead the troops.... I hope ticket prices drop tremendously!!

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

How is giving up a 1st round pick for absolutely nothing a well planned move? Isn't it the stupidest move you can make?

12. Outlier

Outlier Member

That was a really good interview.

I like Morey's point. You allow yourself to be stuck in an endless cycle if you sign non-stars like Dragic to contracts that ruin flexibility. Not saying we are not in a bad cycle right now, but it gives us a better chance to get out of mediocrity.

13. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Reading comprehension level is a little low round here. I actually agree with most of what he mentioned. Brooks and a lottery pick IS better than Lowry. Especially considering flexibility. When he mentioned not being able to sign players, he was talking about RESTRICTED free agents. It IS hard to get unrestricted free agents to play for a team without having an attractive roster. If you think about it. Most UNrestricted free agents have already experienced being on teams they were forced to be on, trying to win with that certain team for 5, 6, 7 YEARS. Most of them want to go to a winning situation.

The organization isn't in it for the temporary pleasure. Making certain moves only to please fans isn't in the best interest of the Rockets.

Some of you keep bringing up overpaying for Ariza. He was a major contributor to a championship team. If the Rockets didn't overpay, someone else would have. You can't blame the GM for trying to get pieces to fit around a former #1 pick in Yao Ming.

I appreciate Morey for going on the air, attempting to explain to a bunch of near sighted people about why he's doing what he's doing. Les didn't become a billionaire being stupid, and Morey didn't graduate from MIT as a dummy. Give it time "Rocket fans"

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

The whole "Morey doesn't treat players well" thing to me is absolutely pointless. Not even Isiah Thomas, Larry Bird, and Pat Riley combined would've gotten Bosh, Melo, etc. to want to play here with nobodies.

And right now, other than Dwight Howard, who do we need to recruit? And even then it's about recruiting for next year, not this one. If the Rockets are tanking, then the recruiting comes from them drafting a Hakeem, a Yao type of player. By then, nobody will give a damn whether or not Morey used to call players assets 3 years ago. They will look at Houston with a star in place and wanting to join that star.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Good post; particularly agreed with what I highlighted.

BTW - - I ain't happy but I'm still a diehard Rox fan.

16. Sanity2disChaos

MIT doesn't equal NBA ......as we see.you are dealing with people first then numbers. What's the point in playing the numbers game when you have No players to play them with....
    Might be time for a " players " GM... a pat Riley type of character.

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I'd start by looking at Nate. I'd consider Sammy, yes Sammy.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Signed,

Isiah Thomas.

19. Possum

Possum Member

What's the matter? You hate hearing someone speak the truth? Does it bother you when he puts morons in their place?

20. BEARCLAW

BEARCLAW Member

lol!

:grin: