1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Morey] Sloan Sports Conference 2011

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DrewP, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Am I the only one who found this hilarious?

2. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I believe, that while Cuban and Prichard were talking about teams in general, they were refering to the Grizzlies, though one sure could argue that the Rockets are in a similar position.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Kind of a different situation: The Rockets ended up a 40-win team because they lost 2 important guys to injury. Grizzlies lost Gasol then spent years building their team back into a 40-win situation.

The question about a 40-win team depends on how much growth potential you have: You are not going to get a high pick to take you over the top, but what about your other players and picks? Can they grow? Can you turn some of them into better players or more/higher picks in a trade? Can you get better players by relieving someone of their salary burdens?

In any case, there's a difference between last year's Hornets team and the Rockets. I think the Rockets is in a better situation whereas the Hornets probably maxed out what they could have done (given away picks, having wasted recent drafts on players who underperformed,etc., limited budget, etc.)

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That was a hilarious Burn! ha ha ha.

5. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Cuban thinks too highly of himself. If Don Nelson hadn't pulled off the most lopsided deal in NBA history before Cuban even got there, he'd have nothing right now.

6. HMMMHMM

I agree. I just tried to give a political correct answer. :p

The Rockets are in a much better situation than most 41-41 teams. However I also think it's save to say that unless they strike out in the draft or the 2012 free agency (which actually seems more likely), they won't be able to take the next step, which is a 50-60 win team that's competing for the championship.
    But unlike the Grizzlies or Hornets the Rockets likely won't be stuck in mediocrity, because they don't overpay mediocre players and have flexibility down the road.

1 person likes this.
  7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Agreed, what value has Cuban found like Morey has with Brooks/Landry/Budinger/Scola/Lowry? Boubois? Barrea?

He overpays for players past their prime to support Dirk, and they are always very good but not good enough.

In that sense, they are in worse shape than a 41-41 team.

8. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

Why would anyone invite Kahn?

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm sure that's why he's in the conference.:grin:

10. HMMMHMM

Kahn wasn't there. A Timberwolves fans asked the panel what they thought about Kahn saying that analytics were less meaningless when rebuilding.

11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

If the Mavs win a title with Dirk as their best player I will gladly eat my words. History has shown that you need that alpha-dog of a talent and/or an all-time elite defense to win a title. Dirk is very good, but it's been proven that he's not the kind of guy that's going to carry you to a championship like Duncan, Dream or the guards like Kobe, Jordan, Wade, etc.

The Mavs aren't terrible on defense, but they are a long way from elite like the Celtics/Pistons models that won titles recently. Unless Cuban puts together a couple of other all-stars around Dirk (like the Celtics model, and Jason Kidd doesn't count) and they suddenly become great defensively, it's not happening ... and as far as I'm concerned, that's just about as bad as being mediocre (it might be a little more fun to watch, but getting your expectations dashed wears on you).

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

drewP, clutch...want to meet tomorrow?

I'd meet with you guys regardless, but the friend I came with is bailing so I'm gonna be alone for the day

13. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

I didn't know any other clutchfans were here. Im in Baseball Analytics right now... tell me if you want to meet up.

14. Raven

Raven Member

He's absolutely right.

15. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

Anytime the panel referred to Morey or something I thought he might react to, I looked his way.

When Cuban said the 40 win thing, I glanced at Morey and he had his arms crossed with a glare painted across his face

16. HMMMHMM

Quotes from the 'New Sports Owners: The Challenges and Opportunities' panel:

[rquoter]
    #ssac day two. 1st panel, New Sports Owners: the Challenges & Opportunities. Featuring @sportsguy33 & NBA owners Wyc Grousbeck & Joel Lacob.

Why invest in a sports team? Padres owner: Goal is to break even. Grousbeck: Celtic pride. Winning a championship. Money is safe. #ssac

Jeff Moorad, Wyc Grousbeck essentially admit you're gonna break even at best owning a team #ssac

Simmons: 1) Owning is an investment. 2) Hero complex. White knight. 3) Ego thing. Attention. Lacob: Disagree. Dream. Fun business. #ssac

David Stern called Lacob a "tire kicker." Lacob looked at Suns, Diamondbacks, A's. Knew he had to complete Warriors deal. Hometown. #ssac

Joe Lacob: really hard to buy a team. If you find right situation, just need to make it happen regardless of valuation.

Lacob: need to be passionate as owner, can't half ass it.

Brian Burke to Bill Simmons: I've never seen you suck up (to Lacob) so much. Its embarrassing. Best owners don't interfere, meddle. #ssac

Burke: owners get a team and forget everything they know about business. Guys that buy for ego lose $$ fast #ssac

Burke: meddling owners can be problems if they lack expertise in their sport.

Burke: New owner can be a scary thing. Simmons: First year is most telling. Impatient. #ssac

C's owner Grousbeck: getting big three was made priority based on historical analysis of champions.

Grousbeck: Sat down w/Daryl Morey, to figure out how we can win a championship, looking through history. We needed a top-50 player. KG #ssac

Wyc Grousbeck, co-owner of #Celtics, just said Daryl Morey helped formulate a plan back in 2003 on how to get Kevin Garnett in Boston. #SSAC

Grousbeck: had a five year plan, being bad helped execute it, couldn't have went out and signed old veterans at the start. #ssac

Brian Burke: Sports is not like any other business. You can't get instant success. Won't see quarterly improvement. Hard for owners. #ssac

Lacob: benefitted hugely from time with c's Saw them turn it around from bad team. W's have pressure from media but need to take time. #ssac

Lacob: not rush to drastically alter things, need to set out a plan and take time building. #ssac

Simmons calls minority pwnership "very expensive season tickets"; Lacob says inclusiveness key #ssac

Joe Lacob, owner of the #Warriors, questioned if bloggers are "real fans" bc they usually are not season ticket holders. #SSAC

Lacob says Cohan didn't hold one board meeting in last six yrs and minority owners were upset #ssac

Grousbeck: all c's ownership partners were fully behind garnett deal and plan. Ainge pitched them and they all agreed. #ssac

Lacob: day of single guy buying team is gone. May happen but rare because teams so expensive. #ssac

Burke: cant report to 14 people. Told every owner "only two hands on steerin wheel and theyre both mine." needs autonomy as gm #ssac

Burke says line of control crucial: "There's only two g-d hands on the steering wheel and they're both mine."

Burke says no matter how big the ownership group, tm prez should only report to ONE guy. #ssac

@sportsguy33 asks about "perkins trade"...Wyc replies "Green acquisition," #ssac

Moorad, padres owner: hire best person to be gm and give them autonomy to do their job. Give them budget and then its on them. #ssac

Burke also said Ontario Teachers fund makes Raps/leafs owners wealthiest in sports. #ssac

Lacob: have option in six years to get out of arena lease and look into new arena #ssac

Former players owning teams usually a disaster says simmons. Cant think of three instances where it worked. #ssac

Simmons: gm told him former player gms are too easy on contract negotiations cuz they relate to players #ssac

Grousbeck: owners are accountable cuz fans can cancel season tix if dissatisfied. #ssac

To clarify, he meant that's HOW theyre accountable, not why.

Simmons asks about threat of TV to ticket sales; Wyc points out TV drives the $$ bus. #ssac

"Biggest challenge facing pro sports is staying relevant to the consumer and the fan" - Jeff Moorad #ssac

"Sports is about having the parade. "winning the silver medal sucked." -- Brian Burke #ssac

#SSAC Brian Burke “we’re in the game to have a parade” Re: not trading for experience and giving up youth.

Burke: owner has to have some "jam" to take risks necessary to win championships #ssac

#SSAC Brian Burke "in Anaheim, we way overpaid for Chris Pronger", but knew they just needed one piece to win it all. A gamble, but worked.

Simmons: in basketball you wanna be really good or really bad, dont wanna get stuck in no mans land. 40 wins is bad #ssac

Lacob: "Having said that, I'll take 40 wins." Wyc: "Over how many years?" Crowd: "oooooooh." #ssac

Grousbeck: top 2 regular season record in nba more predictive of playoff success than other sports #ssac[/rquoter]

1 person likes this.
  17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That's interesting.

18. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

According to Cuban, not alot.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Didn't R.C. Buford say in another panel that for decision making, "gut decisions" don't work -- it needs to be driven by evidence?

20. HMMMHMM

Yeah, Buford also hinted that they are using statistical evidence regarding rotations on back to backs and three games in four nights, where a lot of their older players (Tim Duncan was mentioned) seem to struggle.
    Of course things like that seem pretty obvious, but don't be fooled. The Spurs are also one of the few teams that use those high-tech cameras, with three-dimensional capabilities.