1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Morey] Sloan Sports Conference 2011

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DrewP, Mar 3, 2011.

1. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

Just saw Morey. I'm 6'2 or 6'3 in my boots and he made me feel like a little kid. He's taller than I expected and hes looking a little more slim these days. No more double chin press conferences.

2. DrewP

does anyone know how to preserve my outline format copying and pasting from google docs? when I paste my outline it loses its format and becomes a giant hassle to fix

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm here Drew... I'm in the RC Buford / Wilbon panel conference room (210). Starts in about 5-10 minutes.

4. DrewP

Just met Morey and gave him a shaky voice hello. He was very kind. I told him I was a Rockets fan and that I believed that his plan will eventually work out. He mentioned the usual "ya we need the superstar" and I said some non sense about patience. I actually tried to say a quick, polite good bye and he continued to talk to me for a few more moments. The conversation ended when he pulled out his phone and declared, "hold on, its Simmons!"

1 person likes this.
  5. DrewP

Just left that room to go to Football Analytics in 205abc. Wilbon didnt show up for an earlier talk so I didnt think he was coming . Want to meet at Basketball analytics at 2:45?

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Upon returning from the Sloan Sports Conference, it leaks that the Rockets have just released Terrence Williams. :p

7. Thoughtless

Thoughtless Member

Sharing this pic I saw on my twitter feed. Sloan Conference backdrop.

[​IMG]

8. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Try using the
    Code:
     flag. It forces a monospaced font and retains formatting.  [code] Hello world 

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'll be there. I'm in the middle section right in front of the panel. Drop me an email at clutch@clutchcity.net. Thanks...

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

arent you happy now you dont have the flip phone anymore you can do so much more now

11. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Keep muttering "Scola Scola Scola" semi-audibly and see if Buford cracks. LOL.

1 person likes this.
  12. tikwanleap

tikwanleap Contributing Member

giancasimiro
    Cuban bringing up clutch or "impact %". Also said the Mavs factor clutch stats into their analytics last year. The Rockets don't. #ssac

13. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

not surprised

morey always said good teams dont win close games, they avoid them

plus i am sure its hard to measure clutch each team could set its own parameters but a lot of variables are involved when you are talking that late into a game.

14. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

Cuban: "The worst position a team can be in is a 41-41 team"

he just called out Morey and the rockets, indirectly

15. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

One could also argue that it's no better to be in the position of paying max dollar for a superstar who isn't quite good enough to get you over the top, even though he may be good enough to get you a top 4 seed only to be followed by playoff disappointment. You might be winning, but you're not accomplishing the goal.

Suck on that, Cuban.

16. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

We have legit excuses for being in the position we are in.
    What's their excuse for never winning anything?

And apparently clutch stats don't stop you from choking in the playoffs.

1 person likes this.
  17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I hate all of you who are there...if I weren't always so busy at SXSW every year, I would totally be there.

18. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Quotes from the Basketball Analytics panel:

[rQUOTEr]Cuban: Not all teams talk equally to each other. Continues to maintain that biggest value of analytics is on coaching front. #ssac

Mike Zarren: Deals happen and you say: "we could have done better than that." Not all teams are talking to each other. #ssac

Kevin Pritchard: "We need an eBay for NBA trade offers" #ssac

Pritchard: Job as GM is to collect all opportunities, rank them, and then do the best one. Sometimes trades fall apart at last minute. #ssac

Pritchard: 5 years ago analytics played 5% into trades. Now its communicating the analytics to owners. Won't ever take over eye. #ssac

Certain players show up well in advanced metrics, so teams w/ stat departments go after the same guys in trades #ssac

Cuban: Hard to judge prospects fairly because you only fall in love w/ their strengths; with your own players you know weaknesses too #ssac

Cuban is a fan of Adjusted +/- for lineup building purposes #ssac

Cuban: When you're bad you can experiment more with players. #ssac

Pritchard makes a great point: older rookies should have a shorter leash to prove they can play. Also, bigs take longer to develop #ssac

Cubes: Coaches must make infinitely more decisions than MLB managers, making a "Moneyball" equivalent borderline impossible to find #ssac

Hollinger: No real-time game theory in baseball; everything is linear, whereas a massive amount of things happen simultaneously in NBA #ssac

Kevin Pritchard says no way to win without great risk. "Unless you get Tim Duncan." #SSAC

Cuban: Trend is less Player Evaluation and more Team Evaluation. Much more expensive. #ssac

Cuban: San Antonio and Lakers only coaches who ignore analytics, because they're comfortable w/their jobs. Used to be Jerry Sloan too. #ssac

Cuban on veil of secrecy in NBA surrounding analytics. "Data is data. Its how you use it that matters." #ssac

Pritchard suggests uncertainty about late-game alpha dog contributes to Heat troubles, but they're still a work in progress #ssac

Cuban: "I'd rather play well the other 47 minutes and make sure we never get into a close late-game situation where we need a basket" #ssac

Zarren: Playoffs different b/c you can practice and scheme for a specific opponent #ssac

Cuban: Crunch-time (as defined by win probability/leverage) offensive efficiency important indicator #ssac

Kahn: "Analytics are less important for rebuilding teams" ... Cuban: "I'm glad they think that." #ssac

Cubes: "The worst position a team can be in is a 41-41 team" #ssac

Pritchard: Treadmill of mediocrity- Getting 8th seed in NBA playoffs year after year. #ssac

Cuban: We put as much emphasis on psychological analysis as statistical analysis. #ssac

Pritchard: Better for health of NBA when players stay in college. I liked when we could draft HSers because was easier to find value #ssac

Cuban: The longer a player stays in school, the more he can expect to earn b/c he builds a brand in ncaa hoops #ssac

Mike Zarren on trade rumors: "More than once we read the rumor in the media first, then called the other team to ask about the player."

Cuban: Longer they stay in college more certainty about player and person they are. We needed to babysit younger guys. Puppy milk. #ssac

Zarren: High school stats unreliable: "Al Jefferson might have been playing against me in HS... with his brother keeping the stats" #ssac

Pritchard compares pressure of NBA free throws: "Shoot 10. If you don't make 6, you die." #ssac

For people that don't know, Mike Zarren is an incredibly important part of the entire Celtics organization.
    [/rQUOTEr]

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Your point is valid,but they are getting better. The playoffs will determine if they will be able to get close to or win a championship.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

How involved are the Spurs in all this, compared to Houston, Dallas, etc?