1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey should trade our Dallas pick.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by withmustard, Jun 19, 2012.

1. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I know many us are excited at the chance that the Dallas pick could eventually become unprotected in 6 years, but does that really help Morey's job security?

He's about to recieve the last and best piece of his T-mac haul in the 16th pick on draft day. Along with the Dallas pick( which came from the Hill trade), these are the last two assets from the Tmac trade a few years ago and we are in the exact same position.

I've been a big Morey supporter but he needs to use any last tricks he has to make this team competitive.

I'm sure Morey won't care if Dallas lands the #1 pick in 2018, if he was fired in 2013.

What do you guys think? Are you feeling 2018?

2. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

I couldn't care less about Morey's job security.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Just let it sit. We aren't going anywhere right now. It will gain more value if it looks like Dallas is going to rebuild.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This pick could just as easily be a lotto pick as it could be a 23+ pick with the protection thats on it.

I dont see the Mav's having a top 10 record unless they make out like bandits in FA .... meaning the pick likely wont be transfered until the protection has run its course.

With Dirk's contract being roughly a third of the cap and aging , no young talent and only five players under contract totaling better than $41m , I think Dallas has to think about a rebuild in the near future. By the time the protection is lifted , this is likely a lotto pick.

5. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

If Morey trades either the #14 or #16 this year for Gasol.. he is insane

1 person likes this.
  6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

It all depends on the team direction as defined by Morey and Les. If they decide that they have enough assets to add critical pieces to make a serious run, then adding Gasol would be a first step. Then you could go and get Josh Smith and someone like OJ Mayo or Gordon.

The team would be Gasol, Smith,Parsons, Mayo and Dragic.

But honestly with Morey who knows.;)

7. Houston288South

Not bad moves in my book...

8. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

My point is that Morey won't have a job in 2018 if this playoff drought continues.

He has incentive to cash in early to save himself. A GM's job security comes with wins. Playoff wins, not 2 games over .500.

Morey's job security goes up with wins, which is want you want right? I get what you were saying though. You don't care who gets paid.

9. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

With Cuban as an owner, I don't see Dallas being mediocre and staying out of the top 10 for 6 years in a row. A pick in the 20s would be OK, but if it can serve as an asset and get us better sooner, then go for it.

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

If they don't get D-Will who knows, they could be out of the top 10 for awhile.

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Cuban blew up his championship team to stay out of the luxury tax. It is that onerous. There is a statement about it readily available on the internet. Makes interesting reading. Even a billionaire is not going to stand for $80 million in luxury taxes. The days of a free spending Cuban may be over. God help the Buss family.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I would assume if you asked Morey he would say the chances of them using that pick as a sweetener in a trade in the next 3 years is much more likely than them saving that pick for the next 5 years when it becomes a lotto un-protected pick.

You always hear about the "what if" factor that picks can have on the market in trades that intrigues GM's. I think this pick will have that factor in 2 to 4 years, and become a very attractive piece much like the Knicks pick was before Amare signed in New York.

You can never have too many draft picks. Especially ones with potential to have the GM "what if" factor in a couple years.

13. tdogg310

tdogg310 Member

Cant complain on adding an all-star finally in Gasol. its a deal we need to swing if we can.

Love josh smith. would b perfect fit. love his game. undervalued around the league.

but OJ Mayo and Gordon are completely dif players. probably a good $7-8 mil difference in salary for 1 thing. makes a big difference in just adding another piece as you infer.

IMO Gordon might b the best player out of these 3, he would need to b a priority, not a piece.

I gotta say I would love this team with a core of Dragic, Gordon, and Josh Smith.

14. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

You don't make trades just to make trades.

15. Mariachi ROCKET

16. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

17. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't consider it "trading just to trade".

Though the Rockets as an organization will never actually lose the pick, Morey could very well be fired if he doesn't cash in some of his "assets".

If Morey can get us competitive without trading the pick then bring it, but this is longest rockets playoff drought i can remember, and "NEXT YEAR" has been our motto for the last 9 years.

It's the same reason Jackpot winners take the cash option.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.