1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey should learn from OKC's success

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Harden's beard, May 24, 2016.

1. dje243

dje243 Member

I'm not convinced Harden is way worse than Westbrook. When OKC lost one of their two stars, they missed the playoffs. Harden (for better or worse) will drag this team into the playoffs into perpetuity. Also before you say something about defense... Westbrook is probably one of the most overrated defenders at his position. If Morey had the ability to tank and just draft in the top 5 every year he would also put together a great core. OKC is an example of a team that tanked their way to the top. They have two legit stars, and 3 or more elite role players. We have one star, one former all-star (now slightly above average role player), and no elite role players. The star piece is hard to figure out due to draft position but Morey should take responsibility for the supporting cast no doubt.

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Doubt it would make much of a difference.

Maury pretty much sucks at drafting in the top 20 picks or so.

This is the same guy who thought Royce White was a lottery pick and a steal at 16 or Mook Morris over Kawhi Leonard. Or getting former lottery players like TWill and Hasheem Thabeet and Johnny Flynn who he was coveting. Oh and don't forget his love affair with Ricky freaking Rubio.

His evaluation of top players out of college leaves much to be desired.

3. Ranny

Ranny Member

Ridiculous arguments from the Morey haters who also happen to be Harden haters...... So Morey is bad because he has not built a team like OKC, and somehow the fact that OKC has had several draft picks as high as #2 is irrelevant for them, its just amusing to witness so much stupidity from self proclaimed basketball connoisseurs.

Not to excuse the many mistakes Morey has made, but he has never had the opportunities that other "better" GM's have had to build teams with high draft picks. Whats the highest pick he has had in his tenure? 13th? yeah its super easy to draft the GOAT with those kind of picks, LOL

Remind me again how many superstars has Presti been able to acquire via trade? also how many superstars has he been able to sign as free agents? i lost count by now :rolleyes:

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

That screams Les to me. Tad Brown said to us in Portland that tanking was and will never be an option as long as Les owns the team. He said it with pride almost. This team won't lose on purpose or have a floundering season to get a good pick.

5. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

And a little luck.

Who here thought that OKC would run through SA and a Golden State team that just broke the record for regular season wins? They are clicking and playing their best basketball at the right time. These are the intangible things that win championships. You can try to parse out where one organization went right and the other went wrong but it comes down to how players execute and emotion and focus.

What is also becoming evident is that more than star power, and whatever arm chair GM bull**** you guys want to throw around, it's height and athleticism. Westbrook finally figured out how to get the best of Curry and it's by using his size.

6. wekko368

wekko368 Member

There are 2 flaws in this argument. First, it fails to consider the opportunity cost of Durant's salary.

In other words, this year, Harden was able to drag $90mm worth of players into the playoffs. Last year, Westbrook was unable to drag $60mm worth of players into the playoffs.

Second, it fails to consider the relative strength of the league. Last year, OKC was the 9th seed with 45 wins. This year, Houston was the 8th seed with 41 wins.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Glad to see it's still so incredibly easy to put you in your place.

8. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Beacuse that tract has worked so well Hinkie and the 76'ers. They are no guarantees in professional sports.

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

True. I'm not one way or the other on tanking. I look at what SAS did to get Duncan, then look at what PDX did with their number one picks. Odom and Bowie? You coulda had Jordan and then Durant? Are you kidding me?

The draft is a loaded issue, but having a losing season to gain assets once and a while isn't a bad thing either. I wanted us to make the playoffs this year, but then again I thought maybe this team might show some heart. I was wrong on both accounts.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Yea you're right, maybe Kerr was wrong too when he cited it in the post game.

11. dje243

dje243 Member

You doubt drafting 1-5 vs 14-20 would make much of a difference? :rolleyes:

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What are you talking about??? OKC went small against GS by moving Durant to the 4.

You aren't making any sense.

Ibaka has been key here, because they moved him to the 5 and his 3 point range has opened the floor up for OKC bigtime. You say go big, they do the opposite and go small, and now you are claiming you were right?

C'mon man!

13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Learn from their success -- acquire multiple top 5 draft picks and be lucky enough that franchise players are available in that draft when you pick.

Seems simple enough!

1 person likes this.
  14. dje243

dje243 Member

I'll accept that first part if you also agree to consider the opportunity cost (this season) of Dwight Howard, Corey Brewer, and Terrance Jones. Also, sense when has the strength of a roster been determined by the cost of a roster? The pervasive misconception at play here is the idea that Dwight Howard played at a star (or even a consistently above average) level this year. Aside from a few flashes from Howard here or there, Harden has been the sole star on this team. Last season they played over their heads and streaky shooters all got hot at the right time. But when everything got shot to hell they still ended up in the playoffs (to their detriment). Dwight has comprised over 30% of the cap for two seasons now. He's not worth it now and he wasn't worth it then. Blame the GM if you want... but hell would freeze over before anyone makes an excuse for a Harden led team not making the playoffs. It's all coming together for OKC and I'm happy to see them crush GSW. But Durant and Westbrook get so many chances... As do CP3, Griffin, and co. Harden has one bad season (can you even call it a bad season?) and all of the sudden he's cancer and a scrub.

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I doubt Mauri would be able to draft as well in the 1-5 range as OKC did.

Murray thought Rubio was one of the top picks in that 09 draft. LOL

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

DD also said that OKC used their size to beat the Spurs and their small-ball front line, which included

Tim Duncan 6-11
    LaMarcus Aldridge 6-11
    Kawhi Leonard 6-7

Bunch of midgets.

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

You are arguing with this:

[​IMG]

TBF, we both are...

1 person likes this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Vs.

Adams 7'
    Kanter 7'
    Durant 7'

Don't let the truth hit you square in the eyes.

DD

19. onreego

onreego Member

Morey should learn from Miami's former success of 3 superstars, GSW's former success of ultimate moreyball, and then Oklahoma's current success of heart and effort.

Then he'll have the perfect formula.

3 superstars that all are high IQ, high percentage shooters that also defend adequately and play with heart and effort. Git'r dun.

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

ummm...the year they missed the playoffs they lost WB and Durant. WB just happened to comeback sooner and almost did it.

Harden barely dragged this team (that made the WCF) to the playoffs.

Your point is moot.