1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey Should "Just Say No" to Melo!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gary Vance, Aug 30, 2010.

1. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I agree. There is too much foolishness going around with LALA, Melo and that front office to want to get involved in all those franchise ruining and embarrassing things going on. Dont want to associate ourselves with how rediculous they are making themselves look. Carmelo and the Nuggets that is. Rockets are a classier organization than that. Lets go with what we got.

2. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

As Morey said, were not good enough right now to contend. We need that superstar and Melo is the answer.

Screw the other stuff.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You know I am talking about playoff intensity and CF to Finals type of scoring AND defense of course. Regular season tea we drink up fast. Of course we can always WAIT to develop players. It can take one or two years or a decade. Depends if you want to wait that long.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

partly agreed.
    Melo should not be the ONLY answer
    Iguodala is fine enough, Chris is ok, we have to view the others.
    I have doubt about Granger

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

6. Dream Shake 81

Reasons Melo is not coming to Houston:

- There are other teams willingly offering Denver a lot more - or just as good as an offer. (i don't know if Morey actually made an offer, but hypothesizing if the Rockets did.. you know Morey will want a deal.)

- based on his recent activities on twitter, the Rockets org would not want to have someone with problems like that.

- Cuban wants him.

- The media has stopped mentioning him and the Rockets in the same sentence.

- No Defense

- I can go on and i am sure there are many that I missed... but even of you over look all of his issues, Melo will never be a Rocket unless we can get him for a lot less.

7. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

The only way I would want Melo is if we don't give up Brooks or Martin.. But thats not really possible, so I'm fine standing pat..

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Of course we need another superstar but is Melo that guy? I've never really thought of him as particularly clutch...that time when they matched up against LA the Nuggets never really posed a threat, and considering the Nuggets roster had Billups, Nene, Birdman, Smith and Kenyon Martin. What about if they had Durant, Wade or LBJ on that roster instead? IMO that nugs team woul have taken the Lakers to 7 games at least.

In fact, I'd argue that someone like Iggy or Granger would give us the same result as getting Melo in terms of "star power"...except they'd be cheaper to get, also cheaper to pay, they're disciplined on D and they aren't thugs.

9. yaomingyaoming

Melo will be as close to a T-Mac as we can find. If he's available, you have to jump on it. This team needs another All-Star level player.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Iguodala is a defensive beast, Granger not so much......Granger's offensive output could be replaced by anyone on the starting line up with the exception of Shane. Oh well, we have Budinger.
    You believe in tweets and twitter? Way to go.
    Among those names you mentioned above KD - DW - LB who is availabe atm?
    Yes. Carmelo can only redeem himself but Kobe is going downhill.

11. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

It's not IF but WHEN will KMart get injured again.

Outside of Brooks, I'd send the whole team to get Melo.

Brooks, Scola, Melo, Yao. Fill the rest with whomever you want and see you in the Finals or at least the Wester Conference Finals.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Na....we need a proper bench....

13. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Lol come on...You can say tons of things about Melo, but you can't doubt his clutchness. The guy was ranked 4th in scoring in the clutch last season and 3rd the season before. From 03-09 he's shooting the best percentage on game winners out of everyone in the top 5 by far.

http://www.82games.com/gamewinningshots.htm

Granger and Iggy might be better suited for this team, but not because Melo is not clutch. He is far superior to either one in terms of star power, esp Iguodala. Verdict is still out there for whether or not he makes an allstar game in his career. Granger is a great offensive player and could be a good second option, but he isn't available and won't be anytime soon.

1 person likes this.
  14. Raven

Raven Member

Unless some team is offering a quality big man, I think Houston can stay in the mix. Ultimately, though, it has more to do with where Carmelo is willing to play than anything else.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

I wouldn't rule out Granger. He's staying under the radar 'cause Bird refuses to look at reality, but the truth is the Pacers have been hemorhaging money for a couple of years now. They're in the midst of a rebuilding process with their shiny new pg, and if Paul George pans out, keeping a 28 year old star making 9M a year won't make much sense. IMHO there's a good chance Granger would be traded at the deadline.

16. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

I disagree with your logic but agree that Melo is not for us. Clearly you can't just add up the production as you have above and say that is a team. With bad matchups on any given night your logic will be blown all to hell. ...and that is just one hole in your theory. However, Melo actually brings considerable issues of his own.

When you make a genuine stat analysis of Melo you find big issues. His DRtg (defensive rating per 100 possessions) is poor and never been good for his position. Even his ORtg isn't so great per 100. For a guy who puts up so many points his win shares are low as well. His TS% is good and his 'clutchness' is very good which are positives. Bottom line if you weigh his overall contributions per possession vs. his salary he provides one of the worst bangs for the buck you can get from an all-star. Generally all-stars provide very high bang for the buck even with the max salary but not in this case.

17. Gary Vance

Gary Vance Member

The purpose of posting the projected point production of our players was to show the balance and depth the current roster contains. Obviously, the team points per game average is not reflected in the individual production. What is shown here, and proven repeatedly last year, is a group of players who step up individually whenever the need is there. The Rockets have a diverse array of players who had big games in our wins last season. There was no single "go to" guy...that's unselfish play at its best.

However, I like Aaron Brooks with the ball when the game is on the line. He can drive and make it, draw a foul and sink clutch free throws, or he can pull up and shoot the jumper from anywhere and drop it in.

18. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Whether its Drexler...
    Barkley....
    or Melo....
    YOU ALWAYS GRAB THE BLUE CHIP PLAYER!

Sometimes it blows up in your face (Barkley)....but you cant hit a dinger, unless yer a swinger....

Anything short of Ming or AB and Id do the deal in a hearbeat....

Battier/Jefferies/Hill + all our first round picks (ny and otherwise) for the next two years is where i would start (salaries match).... gives denver 3 expiring contracts to fill in for melo this year and a crop of picks to rebuild with....
    but if they want Chase or Pat or whoever - not a prob!
    If they want Martins 10m/yr contract, id be happy to work around that too...

Getting Melo would be the diff between having a damn good solid team and having a championship caliber team.

19. crocktees

crocktees Member

Agreed. No reason to have a bunch of assets
    if your not going to use them. The NYC picks
    might turn out, but I say sell high.

20. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

There are people on this board who would rather keep role players then trade for Carmelo Anthony. Wow.