1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey Should "Just Say No" to Melo!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gary Vance, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Gary Vance

Gary Vance Member

All this Carmelo Anthony trade talk makes me queasy when I see the proposed assets that Houston would have to give up for him. The list of players that keeps appearing include some combination of Martin, Jeffries, Budinger, Hill and Battier plus two future Knicks picks. Everyone is so high on Melo...well, what if we trade those guys and then Anthony goes down with an injury along with another rotation player or two? Where's your bench depth to compensate for such a loss? Well, their all in Denver furthering their careers while the Rockets finish out of the playoffs again.

The problem I see with the Melo fever that is rampant in this forum is most posters are consumed with the notion of trying to win it all this season and not believing in the team as it is currently constituted. Carmelo Anthony is a terrific player with a generally crappy attitude. I don't see him fitting well on the floor or the locker room. His presence at the expense of all these talented youngsters is a poor odds gamble for this year and a terrible odds gamble on the future of this franchise.

Kevin Martin can deliver twenty points a game and he fits this team. The Rockets desperately need Shane Battier on defense and firing up the occasional clutch three point shot. Chase Budinger has shown great potential and is a very intelligent player. Hill came to us late in the season and instantly won the confidence of the coaches with his play. The two NY draft picks should not be on the table considering the Knicks probable low finish for the next year or two.

I just watched a recorded game of the Rockets beating Boston in the Garden toward the end of last season. That game offers a glimpse into what this current team can do without Yao...imagine what a healthy Yao brings back to the Rockets. The addition of Courtney Lee brings another premiere defender to the team and hopefully helps restore the defensive tenacity that has been missing.

Let's look at the reasonable expected point production from the current team's possible rotation...

Brooks...18--22 points per game
    Martin...18--22
    Scola....18--20
    Battier...06--09
    Yao.......12--20
    Lowry....08--12
    Lee.......08--12
    Hill........08--12
    Budinger.08--12
    Miller......05--08

Add it up...the current team can compete with the big boys in this league.

Mr. Morey...Just say NO!

1 person likes this.
  2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

How would you feel if Daryl Morey and Rick Adelman disagree with your assessment and add Melo to the team? Personally, that would make any reservations I have about Melo disappear.

3. kevolution

kevolution Member

The problem I think is ceiling. With a squad of decent players, the ceiling isn't as high as if you had a few superstars with a few role players.

You can't just compare PPG and then say oh you're trading away a combination of 50 PPG for a guy who just scores 25 PPG.

When we traded for T-Mac, we were giving a way a very productive duo in Mobley + Francis and a servicable backup PF/C in Cato, for essentially just T-Mac.

You can't just go by stats. How can you guarantee that a squad of Martin + Brooks + whatever other mid-tier players we have + Yao will be better than a squad of Melo + Yao + AB or Martin (if they stay) + role players.

4. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

Do you really get to be a member now for just 7 posts?

5. Gary Vance

Gary Vance Member

Morey is shrewd, but not omniscient...as evidenced by the signing of Trevor Ariza. My reservations about Melo stand regardless of how he or Coach Adelman feel about it.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

"Just say no" to another Melo thread.

1 person likes this.
  7. kevolution

kevolution Member

Didn't Boston trade away young talent as well for KG? They gave away a rising star in Al Jefferson (who I would say is catching up to KG's talent level if it weren't for injuries) and Ryan Gomes, other throw in players, and some nice draft picks.

It turned out okay for Boston didn't it?

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I for one am glad you made this thread.

Countdown to DaDakota taking over this thread begins now...

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Assuming you assume that all 10 of the rotation players will play in every game and using the midpoints of your expected PPG, the Rockets would score around 130 points per game. You have the projected starting lineup scoring over 80 points per game (using your midpoints). Do you think with Yao returning and a whole year of Martin that Scola's PPG will increase?

10. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Just say no to " Just Say No to Melo" threads. :rolleyes:

Don't think we need more threads on already 50 Melo threads.

Lock it up!

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If your assessment were anywhere near accurate, you have the Rockets scoring average at 129 pts/game. Not happening. Not happening for ANY team in the NBA.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Great thread, well reasoned, and not some knee jerk, shiny object in the stream look at things.

:grin:

DD

13. Gary Vance

Gary Vance Member

Hey Bob...good question on Scola. I think his potential is just starting to be realized. I believe that his total points could go up since he won't be splitting time with Landry. Scola is a true iron man who is coming into his own. Thanks.

14. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

i'd have to agree. melo's game, though prob the best all around offensive, is full of lackluster effort. doesn't play defense, not alot of assists, and really crappy FG% & turnovers.

i can understand bringing a guy like him into our locker room, which is great bunch of dudes on the real, and expect him to adjust...but it's melo. melo is a first option. melo is superstar. melo plays for melo.

remember last time we had some superstar who thought he's above the team? :confused:

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i am amazed it took more than 30 minutes for DD to post in this thread :eek:

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I was a little busy...dang it...sorry to dissappoint you.

;)

DD

17. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

EDIT: totally forgot. Melo = Anti-LeBron since way back when. melo is the only one who can get under the King's skin.

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

[​IMG]

FAIL

on multiple levels

this topic has been discussed ad nauseam

and you are wrong

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You think his projected points per game for the rotation players is well reasoned?

1 person likes this.
  20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

1-star for starting a new thread to say something that's already been said when plenty of Carmelo threads already exist.