1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey says the Rockets had an agreed-to trade for a pick in the 20's

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 21, 2019.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Daryl Morey's Rockets - NOT Bob O'Brien's Texans - are the almost team.

Do we want to continue to be the almost team? We almost beat the Warriors. We almost traded for a draft pick. We almost acquired Jimmy Butler. Almost. We gotta take advantage of our opportunities. Look, it doesn't last forever. It's called father time. So why not take advantage of right now & see what we can be?

This is a critical time in camp. It's a critical time in camp. Do we want to continue to be the almost team? We almost made the tackle. We almost made the catch. We almost made that interception. We almost got the sack. We almost made the playoffs. Almost. We gotta take advantage of our opportunities. Look, it doesn't last forever. It's called father time. So why not take advantage of right now & see what we can be?

Nook and cheke64 like this.
  2. Fantasma Negro

Morey, king of almost

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Adjust you interpretation of "f-ckkery". You Morey haters don't make any sense. Who brags about a trade that didn't go through? What instant gratification does Morey get from telling people he failed?

BigMaloe, harold bingo, BigM and 4 others like this.
  4. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Good, cause if we would've gone through all that just to NOT pick Nassir Little, I would have been pissed.

5. raining threes

I'm a Morey fan, but he says the same thing every draft and fa seasons.

Let me know when something happens and quit telling me what almost happens.

6. JW86

JW86 Member

Do other GMs do this? I feel Morey does this routine every year, talking about deals that nearly happened and fell through. While I appreciate the honesty, isn't it better to just say we tried, but nothing materialized then go into specifics. Seems rather pointless..

7. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

That would be interesting. I’d like to see how they would get that deal done. It looks like they would almost have to include Smart.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tilman be like...

“Last night, not getting that trade done was a fluke,” Fertitta said. “We were going to make a trade. It was an accident. I’m still trying to figure out how it didn't happen. I was positive it was going to happen. But if I’m trading for a draft pick, I expect Mike to actually play him."

ghettocheeze likes this.
  9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Teams are finding it real cute to do the, “Lucy pull the ball away and watch Charlie Brown kick at air,” trick lately.

everyday eddie and steddinotayto like this.
  10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Fans: Morey do something!

*Morey trying *

Fans: Morey can’t do anything

*Morey actually doing something*

Fans: Morey that’s not enough!

I bet I can make a killing selling Midol to the members on here because these menstrual cramps are getting outta hand

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Feel like he says this most years lmao

J.R. likes this.
  12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

"I completely reject the notion that only salary dump trades seem to get successfooly executed by our front office. That is completely coincidental I assure you"

J.R. likes this.
  13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It’s just the NBA and GMs are smarter now. I can accept that and it makes for a better NBA when we don’t have the David Kahn or Billy Kings of the world still holding GM positions.

Morey will just have to adapt to a reality that he can no longer pull trades like he used to and pivot to a new strategy. If he fails to adapt....that’s when I’ll call for his head.

skroodup25 likes this.
  14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Morey is not your average GM. He talks A LOT with his own Twitter account. Other GM's and coaches are smarter, more cowardly, and use burner accounts like former GM of Philly Colangelo and and former dynasty manager Kerr.

Deuce, ChumpCity and Nook like this.
  15. Vivi

Vivi Member

The most funny thing to me is, for what they know, the trade was probably Capela for that rookie Clutch named so, a starting center for an unproven rookie 4, maybe Smart...and they're complaining that Morey couldn't make a trade that again, for what they know, could've make us worse.

Pretty sure if the trades gets done they would've said "wtf is Morey doing...traded a starter for another undersized scrub"

Also, for all the "he says this every year", i really wonder how many trades die like in the last minute for multiple reasons, especially during the draft when teams likely steal players to other teams in almost every pick. The fact that Morey tells it here and there doesn't mean we're the only team which can't complete a trade.

everyday eddie and DreamShook like this.
  16. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Morey be like...

"The trade fell through when other teams refused to acknowledge Landry's gift cards as compensation."

jsingles and J.R. like this.
  17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Maybe it happens and then it doesn’t get reported......but I don’t remember a single deal being agreed upon
    and then falling apart. This is twice now it has happened to Houston within 5 months.....1) Miami reportedly
    this past trading deadline 2) now with Boston (I’m guessing).

Can you name two teams? I know Mavs had a verbal deal with DJ, then said no and re-signed with Clips....
    But two teams?

18. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Morey silent, clutch fans : MOREY ISNT DOING ANYTHING!!!

Morey candid saying when asked what happened draft night: We had a nice trade lined up and it didnt work out. Clutchfans: MOREY NEEDS TO SHUT UP AND NOT SAY STUFF LIKE THIS, MOREY KING OF ALMOST"

This site sometimes. Its just ridiculous.

19. vick

vick Member

I have gone to Rocket draft parties in the past. Why go when you don't Draft anyone. Rockets are turning into a joke in the Nba. Coaches Fired. Players hating each other. The owner said he wants to cut Warriors throat. Owner says he wants the team to win it all but won't spend the money needed to try. I have had a divorce 30 years ago that wasn't this bad. Texans football can't come soon enough. Nba basketball is so compelling because there are 2 or 3 games a week. Few times in history does a team with this many problems win a championship.

20. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

It happens all the time. you just rarely hear about it. Its why morey didnt go into specifics. And everyone saying its Capela blah blah, they dont know either. Seems like some are already saying what it was and getting mad about a potential deal. This is so dumb.

34to11, clos4life and ApacheWarrior like this.