1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey: Rockets Will Replace Landry Through Draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by LongTimeFan, Feb 24, 2010.

1. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Depends on how they perform in March honestly. I see Ed Davis and Aminu droping, thats all.

2. Htown's2kFinest

if we end up with Derrick Favors I will literally flip out. no way it happens

3. Htown's2kFinest

I think Morey with surprise us like he always does and go with a guard or make some kinda trade on draft day. It ain't like him to go out and say what he plans to do in the draft. I think its a trick.

4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

If anyone wants to know who Morey's going to draft just look at the list of seniors.

5. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

not many big guy seniors to draft... other than that guy out of Kansas (;))

Patrick is a junior who will graduate, does that count?

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Graduate as a Jr? Does Mr. Fancypants think he is better than us?

7. Htown's2kFinest

I remember on that last Bill Simmons podcast where me talks with Morey. He said on there that he knows who Morey wants in the draft but didn't want to say it of course. Wondering who could that be. Anyone have a clue or would know by any chance?

8. Hayesfan

Patrick is almost as awesome as Chuck in my eyes. Rumor is he's going to participate in Senior night festivities as well. If Patrick had played for Tubby instead of Billy Clyde he'd be battling for the top spot... as it is his defense isn't as refined as it could be. ;) hence the slightly lower status in my affections.

So the short answer is... yes he thinks he's better than you! :grin:

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Wasn't Morey checking out a Wake Forrest-North Carolina game earlier this season?

Maybe he's after Aminu.

10. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Well yesterday on 1560 with Nuno, Richie Justice(I know but hey...) said that Morey was VERY interesting in moving up the draft for DeMarcus Cousins from Kentucky but only as a plan C behind Bosh or Amar'e.

11. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

or Maybe Ed Davis or John Henson.... ;)

--RB

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Cousins is sick, I don't know what I would do if the Rockets landed him.

Probably splooge on my cat's face.

13. Hayesfan

Well, I think I have said it here before... DeMarcus has very high upside, but he needs solid vets around him if he's going to succeed. Him going to some team like New Jersey, Minnesota or Sacramento would be horrible for his career possibilities. If he did end up in Houston he could be a great asset... because the influence of someone like Yao and Shane (and Chuck if he's still here) would be just as important as who helps him develop his game (Sikma would be awesome at making him a passing/jump shooting big - cause DeMarcus has the ability just not the experience at it).

Don't get me wrong I love Cousins game and his fun attitude off the court, but he needs someone to keep him reigned in... right now he has a coach with a short leash and Patterson.

One thing that may drive his price up (or down) is how he behaves in the tournaments here at the end of the season... if he loses it once his stock will fall a bit and have him undervalued.

14. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Moving up the draft is extremly tough, but I would j*zz if we got Cousins or Favors.
    Cousins has a likeable personnality and reminds me of Jason Thompson.

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

Hasan Whiteside, but then what happens to Hill and Hayes?

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

Wow, looks like I should be rooting against Kentucky in the tourney then. Either that, or hoping Cousins fail hard and have John Wall look like Carmelo Anthony. :)

Right now, I'm still thinking our draft pick is going to be used in a trade. But if we do move up, I wonder what the going rate would be. We'd likely have the 12-14th pick. I doubt we'd give up Brooks, so the only possibility would be the Knicks pick and our own pick in 2012, and maybe Lowry, Hill, and/or CBud. Not sure if that's enough if Cousins get picked in the top 3. But Perhaps doable if he drops to the 6-8 range.

17. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Henson's not ready to come out. Ed Davis probably will come out, but I want no part of him. He doesn't have much of an offensive game and often disappears offensively. He just doesn't have "it" -- has no will or desire to dominate a game. I would look at him strictly as a defensive PF/C right now.

18. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I like Monroe because of where we are going to be picking.

We will most likely have 2012 where we are going to have 2 first rounders. Would you trade a 2012 first rounder, if it meant being able to move up for Cousins?

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

If we move up in draft give me Favors. I don't care about his unimpressive numbers across the board. He fits the profile -- NBA body, elite athlete, shot blocker, efficient offensive player, aggressive/solid finisher, good attitude, lots of upside. Everything I hear about him indicates he's a hard worker, unselfish and doesn't possess the all-too-familiar sense of entitlement that these highly heralded athletes tend to carry. He projects as an NBA four that could learn a lot and be groomed by Scola before taking over the reigns as our starting PF at some point.

20. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Agreed, although do you take a guy like Cousins that high merely to come off the bench? Would he even go for that? I definitely don't see any NBA four potential in him -- especially playing opposite of another slow center like Yao. I mean, at this point with Yao's durability issues you kind of have to have a contingency plan at center (not named Chuck Hayes or David Andersen) but this might be pushing it a bit. All the same, it's still an intriguing idea. If he's not a 20 PPG scorer in the pro's someday (possibly even as early as his first 1-2 seasons) I'll be shocked. Dude is a fricken monster.