1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey: Rockets Will Replace Landry Through Draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by LongTimeFan, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Egghead

Egghead Member

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

It's an interesting dilemma: draft for immediate help or draft the best (potential) overall.

I'm not high on Patterson whatsoever, but I admit I've seen little of his game. When I watch Kentucky, I end up getting sucked into watching Wall and Cousins. But from his stats, I just don't see him being a great PF. Pretty small for his position (haven't we had enough of these?), doesn't seem to be a good rebounder, post moves are average, not much to his jump shot.. from strictly reading about the guy, he just doesn't excite me.

3. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

We have Jordan Hill..

4. wfox

wfox Member

Yeah, as great as Landry was as an undersized PF, it's about time we get some damn size at the 4. Greg Monroe is SO appealing for that role; good all around, potential for a good outside game, and a phenomenal passer. There is so much to like about him and his attitude.

One thought that just came to me was whether or not he could adequately become a good pick-and-roll defender. Scola in particular really excels in that aspect. I haven't watched many Georgetown games, but I figure that his lack of elite athleticism may be harmful here.

Then again, we get Yao back next year, so it doesn't really matter how good Monroe's pick-and-roll defense is. Why pick on Monroe when you can run circles around the lumbering 7-6 giant?

5. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I say draft for best potential overall. We have to prepare for yao retiring next year. If not next year, then 3 years down the line.

Big men can take 2-3 seasons to develop. It took Landry until his 3rd season to be a 6th man of the year candidate.

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Of the Bigs I think have a chance to be available at our Picl Monroe is also someone I like. But I have a darkhorse and that is Larry Sanders. This kid has so much athleticism. He is almost as explosive as Carl Landry but he has 7'6" wingspan and is 6'10" in shoes. He has the frame to add weight and shows an ability to shoot from midrange. He is still very raw on offense but on a team that will have Brooks Ariza Martin and Yao for offense he may be the perfect piece.

7. MacYao223

MacYao223 Member

The most obvious choice is Greg Monroe. We will probably have a selection in the 10 to 15 range which is where Monroe will be available. They liken his game to Chris Webber. Rick has experience with high post PFs. He can pass, good face up game, not really a back2backet guy, but we'll have Yao. Seems to have good upside.

Another possibility is Patrick Patterson. Although I'm really done with these undersized PFs. Landry was a rare gem. Monroe is a legit 6'10 with long arms, and unlike Jordan Hill , is very skilled already. If we can dangle maybe Trevor Ariza+Jordan Hill for another lottery pick, maybe we can land a top 5??
    Gun for Evan Turner !!

8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Tulsa @ Duke today, 6 pm on ESPN. I am going to watch this game to see how Jerome Jordan plays against a highly ranked Duke team. Saw him play earlier this year on the TV. He looked a bit like a poor man's Greg Oden but wasn't entirely explosive definsively or a dominant player on the offensive end where he looked somewhat akward.

9. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

Man, the Garm is freaking out about our losses. I'm not as upset. We might be able to really score in this draft.

10. towW

towW Member

Good point, he does go after big men that go get it.

11. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fFLTkVhZN58&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fFLTkVhZN58&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Cole has recently fallen in many draft boards to 10th-14th he could be had at our position, an agile 6'11 PF/C with a 7'6 wingspan....not bad!! :eek:

--RB

12. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

I can see us going after Patterson, being that he's a bit undersized and from Kentucky... :grin:

13. CONAN 888

CONAN 888 Rookie

They can draft anyone to take Landry's position. But who's heart is gonna be even close to Landry. Who else can take bullets come back in three weeks & lose teeth for the team twice??? With the recent loses I 'm really missing that guy who was second behind LbJ in 4th qtr scoring......

14. LifeisButaDream

I could see him as a backup for yao.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chris Mihm?

16. Galaksy

Galaksy Member

17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I really like the thought of Monroe in RA's offense, I'm just not sure he lasts if the Rockets pick in the 14 range

18. ThaShark316_28

Yall want a Landry-like player?

[​IMG]

19. Garner

Garner Member

1. Cousins
    2. Aldrich
    3. Monroe

Our only shot at Cousins or Aldrich is going to require Morey trading up. Monroe, however, we have a realistic shot at getting him with where we will most likely fall (14-15).

Its a great draft for big men.

20. RocketGirl6

RocketGirl6 Member

I agree with you, someone might be able to play like Landry, but no one else has the heart Landry does, I think thats why he is so likeable as a player