1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey "person of interest" for LAL job

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mastro, Apr 10, 2019.

1. s3ts

s3ts Member

It would seem dumb to most everyone.

But then again, I always thought it was dumb to say LBJ should rank higher than MJ, and yet Morey has done that.

If Morey was a man of his word, and believes that LBJ is the GOAT, then he should put his money where his mouth is and jet.

That said, it is ridiculous to think he would come this far and not hold out for a championship. If he can get himself a ring in Houston, he can probably up his value for his next job.

2. HP3

HP3 Member

How does that make any sense at all.

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is typically Lakers to just assume that everybody would drop whatever theyve got going on for a chance at a job with the Lakers.

The only thing more ugly than arrogance is arrogant people who have nothing legitimate to be arrogant about.

#43 Ottomaton, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    mario_v, Nook and D-rock like this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I just don't see it. As has been pointed out, as we all have heard, Morey recently signed an extension that reportedly makes him one of the highest paid GM's in the NBA. He has arguably the best player in the NBA. As for the "bright lights" of the entertainment industry? If you want to be at the center of theatre in this country, you go to New York City, not LA. I'll add that Houston has talent of it's own when it comes to the theatre. Our own @Batman Jones has become a personal friend of Morey, besides being behind the play the two of them have "tied down," and that was well received. He's definitely some of that talent I mentioned.

Why on earth would Morey go to LA and that nightmare they've turned into? I agree with those who say that Daryl Morey is determined to win a championship for Houston and the Rockets. The Lakers may try, but they won't be able to buy him off, not in my opinion.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

can la even pronounce darnell murley's name doe?

LUK3 and daywalker02 like this.
  6. jcf

jcf Member

Wow. I want to be a consultant...

7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I think taking PJ outta the equation would resolve any probs between West n Jeanie... that freaky 3 way dynamic was a recipe for problems... Why would West have wanted to have stayed when his subordinate is dating his boss... just typical lala land Jerry Springer type stuff... lol

I didnt read all of Magics ramblings but i thought he said she gave him carte blanch to do whatever he wanted... and he just wasnt happy having to make big boy decisions... I gotta believe at this point she just wants to win - and West is one of the best options - certainly more so than Magic was...

As for West... I believe the Lakers will always be 'the love of his life...' He may have an overall better situation already... but its like that ex-gf that never worked out that holds an unexplainable allure - even though you know its not the best option... lol

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

I watched the whole interview and it was just plain weird. Reading between the lines, it sounds like the whole thing went down something like this:

During the season
    Magic: I want Luke out of here.
    Jeanie: I like Luke and don't want to dump him mid-season.
    Magic: Fair enough.

This week
    Magic: I want Luke out of here.
    Jeanie: I still like Luke, but if you want to replace him, go ahead. But it'll be on you if the new guy doesn't get it done.
    Magic: I'm done here.

D-rock, Gray_Jay and kjayp like this.
  9. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Is Jeanne Buss the one calling the ownership shots down in LakerLand now? If she is, is she really hands on, or is she content to let the basketball people make basketball decisions? The whole situation smells to me like what the then L.A. Rams went through under Georgia Frontierre when (IIRC), her husband died and she inherited the team. Then decided to run it, into the ground mostly.

If she's more hands off, provided she trusts the hands running the team, then I don't think it's too farfetched to imagine Morey ending up as a Laker sooner than later. Extension and all. Annoy Fertitta enough, say if Operation Shake-Change-Out-Of-The-Couch continues in Year 2 AF, and Morey publicly rebels, and I think both parties could find a way out of Morey's employment contract. Especially if this team (God Forbid, pounds on wooden table) does something like flame out in the first round vs, oh, I dunno, OKC. Jayz750 laid out some good reasons why Morey might like that LAL job.

Edit: agree with you on why West would go to the Clippers, if anything.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He does not have job security.

They fire him the instant he screws up with results.

He can't gamble there on players the way he did here.

Jontro likes this.
  11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

He should be. He's one of the best GM's in the league. I'm not convinced anyone is better. That said, I think he's way too comfortable here. They'd have to be offering really crazy money to pry him away from Houston.

Batman Jones and Vivi like this.
  12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Seems like a logical take...
    It's just all born of dysfunction...
    I lived in LA for a decade and its par for the course..
    I've always thought post player Magic was crap. He's a gloryhound who has to get his face on TV and has to be loved and revered - and cant accept any situation that he could potentially be viewed as a failure - and he's just not that good as a coach or an exec...

The earlier quote you posted -
    "Jerry West was interested in returning to the Lakers, where son Ryan has carved out a useful role with the old and new regime, but, though Jeanie Buss will forever revere Jerry, he didn’t match her vision for the future, according to NBA sources."
    I could be wrong... but I think that speaks more to Jeanie's desire for the teams image (contrast the imagery of Magic vs West) rather than their likemindedness regarding the direction of the team... and at this point, I gotta believe she's caring less and less about pr and image - and wants to just win - and West provides the best bridge from the past legacy of success to potential future prosperity... imo...

13. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Classic laker arrogance to think that they could approach guys like west or Morey and they would just drop everything to be with the lakers. Just like they assumed they would hit big in FA.

Jontro and Nook like this.
  14. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

It took him a decade + to get a player like Harden in his prime, so many failed attempts. There is no way he doesnt see it through to have a shot at a championship to just start over again.

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

LeBron turned down the Rockets and Morey two times in few years, i hope Morey shows him the mid finger this time.

Jontro, Deckard, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  16. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Lakers will get every free agent and end up with 5 Presidents of Basketball Operations.

Nobody could ever say no to the Lakers!

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]

D-rock and LUK3 like this.
  18. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

And all it took was a few words from Rockets legend Corey Brewer.;)

Jontro and topfive like this.
  19. topfive

topfive CF OG

Corey Brewer, the Free Agent Whisperer.

Jontro likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Jerry West is over 80. He is at best a very short term solution.