1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on play calling:

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jtr, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Nook

Nook Member

This has been covered many, many, many times before. I know what Adelman said happened and I know what actually happened from my sister. Adelman wanted further input on trades and transactions and did not want his guys dealt. He even voiced his displeasure to the press at one point.

Adelman was asked to add Finch to his staff, which is not unusual by the way. Adelman used that as an excuse and tried to spin the narrative the Rockets didn't want him back, which is the biggest load of horse ****. The Rockets were bringing him back and he choose to leave. This whole thing was about money for Adelman, he wanted an extension.

If a GM has a coach that doesn't share his philosophy, doesn't respect his roster decisions and has a different goal in mind, what happens? They eventually split and that is what happened. It was Morey of Adelman and Alexander made the right choice.

How is Adelman's top assistant doing now?

How is Adelman doing with more control?

It is debatable that the Rockets would be any better with Adelman.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Yes I agree with you that plays have multiple options, sorry if I did not articulate that.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Look no one is saying that the Rockets don't need a coach or to call set plays on occasion, especially if the coaching staff notices something. Knowing whom to play, what rotations, when to call a timeout all matter. I cannot speak for others, but my point is that there are many coaches that can do a good job and that micro managing your team does not work in the modern NBA. Timeouts should be used sparingly, players should be given a chance to earn trust and make decisions. Look no further than Popovich. He has gone from a controlling coach to basically telling his guys to work it out.

On a side note I did want to agree with Adelman that there are some players that want to be told exactly where to be on the floor, when to shoot and what to do. There are a few players that just won't work with what the Rockets are doing, but those players are not typically sought out by the Rockets.

4. bmd

bmd Member

That's exactly what jtr is saying...

5. Nook

Nook Member

Then he is mistaken. The Rockets don't set out plays like the Texans but they do practice set plays and use it as a template for their offense and on occasion will run plays. You can watch them call out of timeouts. Most of the time they just run formations to start the possession.

My concern is people seem to think the modern NBA is like the NFL where every possession is dictated by a coach or pg calling a play and that isn't the case with the Rockets. Usually a template or scheme is set and then the players react.

6. bmd

bmd Member

I don't know if that was ever the case in the NBA. I don't think basketball teams have ever had a PG or coach call out individual plays for every possession.

Teams would run different offenses and sets, but wouldn't run nothing but scripted plays.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You seriously believe that any coach would not want Howard and Harden on his team? Adelman came to Houston to coach Yao and McGrady, two guys who did not fit his system but were clearly top talents.

Adelman was not happy Morey traded 40% of his starting lineup when we were in the heat of a playoffs chase. Any coach would have been pissed.

McHale wasn't happy when Morey traded Patterson and Morris for unplayable assets last year. So would you say McHale also wanted greater control of the teams construction?

Adelman had been in the league long enough to understand that coaches and GMs don't always agree on personnel decisions. That kind of things aren't out of the ordinary. He liked the Rockets enough to tried the last ditch to talk with Morey for several day to see if he could stay. Morey was even surprised that Adelman wanted to stay because the Rockets were clearly rebuilding at the time.

1 person likes this.
  8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I really do not understand how Morey's statement can be misinterpreted. It is beyond my comprehension. The Rockets do not have set plays. Period. Except out of time outs. Like in the Wizards game, featuring Lin leading the charge on the sidelines. And inbound passes. Two very small areas in the overall NBA game.

The concept of a set play needs to be framed within the appropriate context.

The Rockets certainly in no way call set plays in the normal offensive execution. To slow, liable to alert the opponents, and likely to be broken up by minor defensive adjustments. I believe that should be obvious. Especially when backed up by Morey's blunt and to the point statement.

The principals behind the most advanced aspects of R&R offense are not easily understood. It is after all the territory that professional basketball players venture into, playing at the highest levels of the sport. They generally have lived basketball for much more than a decade. They understand offensive patterns. They practice them. They participate in them in games. In many ways they become second nature.

So, the Rockets practice things like the P&R and the post pass to Howard. How does this influence in game execution? Simple. The Rockets players fall into the patterns that they are familiar with. It is simple sports psychology. A kinder, gentler aspect of Pavlov's experiments. But as effective.

What some of you all call plays just are the byproduct of practices and an understanding of the game. Patterns do repeat. Best practices are ingrained into a player through instruction, practice and scrimmages. But in a NBA game to call them set plays is ludicrous. This is, after all the R&R. Do not sell the players or the coaching staff short. They are much more sophisticated than that.

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I do not understand how you cannot comprehend Morey's very blunt statement. "Set plays are actually less efficient ..." And why would you think that they have not been fully excised from the Rockets offensive system? You seem to be disagreeing more with Morey than me.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I have been unfairly and wrongly accused (by bmd) of not understanding that the Rockets do run set plays, on occasion, after timeouts and on inbound passes. That is truly a lie.

11. bmd

bmd Member

We were talking about within the offense. Not inbounds plays or ATO's.

And it is true that you wrongly believe that the Rockets never run set plays during the game, excluding inbounds and ATO's.

12. bmd

bmd Member

And yet you continue to misinterpret. Morey didn't say set plays were not run. He just said the data showed they were less efficient.

Like the mid-range jump shot. Rockets still shoot mid-range shots. They just shoot a lot less than other teams.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

Doesn't McHale generally sit on this seat during the game(similar to Adelman FWIW). How do you run set plays when you're not yelling at players to tell them what to run?

I believe Parsons once said the Rockets play in a controlled chaotic manner, that sometimes even they don't know what they're doing. This does not imply an offense that is set in any way. But rather one where players simply play to a certain philosophy and run more on instinct.

Besides, pushing the ball in general does not allow for sets. Because the offense starts when the defense hasn't set yet. So the method of attack cannot possibly be relayed by the coach. Attacking a defense early relies on the ballhandler's ability to dissect the situation quickly before the defense can set itself. This is mutually exclusive with the idea of running set plays.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Exactly. Adelman came to Houston to coach stars. What do you think he'd have done when Morey traded Lowry for a pick, Budinger for a pick, Lee for a pick, Camby for picks, amnestied Scola, let Dragic go in FA, pick up a PG that started for half a season, a perennial backup center.

Adelman was pissed when Morey traded away Battier and Brooks. He probably would've rage quit and ask for a buyout in the 2012 offseason.

15. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

I do remember the parsons part

16. makio9

makio9 Member

That's right. Isn't that obvious from watching a game? I never hear the coaches yelling out and they don't wear helmets.

BUT, that doesn't mean they don't run plays all through practice and go into the game with a game plan. All players know roughly how much they are expected to be or not be the guy from practice so it's not quite as simple as saying it's all the players fault he doesn't play great because the coach is keeping out if it.

The coach only keeps out of it during the game, not practice in preparation for the games.

17. makio9

makio9 Member

I constantly write terrific sheet, when am I getting two green blocks? How do I even get green blocks. Is it amount of content or quality of content....must be amount surely!

18. bmd

bmd Member

All it takes is a hand signal from someone on the bench to call a play. Or the PG may have the freedom to do it themselves. It's not like they call plays all the time.

And yes, Parsons may have said that. And he's right. The offense, in general, can be described that way. That's how their offense is run 95% of the time. But the other 5% is separate. They'll call set plays every-now-and-then.

And of course you can't call a play during a fast break. That isn't even what we are talking about. We are talking about in the half court offense. But just as an aside, there is a such thing as the fast break offense. Players don't just run randomly up the court. They are all assigned lanes and spots. They have different progressions of plays they can make that they've practiced that transitions from primary break, secondary break, to early offense.

19. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

You need 100 rep points to move up, only people who are contributing members have the power to rep (you get that by depositing money in the tip jar), It's quality posts that is a main purpose of it, to check your rep click the usercp at the top of the screen.
    So you guys are arguing over 5% of the offence? That's nothing in context to hone whole game, now if you were arguing play calling in the clutch or something significant then I would understand.

20. bmd

bmd Member

I don't know if it's 5%. I just made that number up. It was hyperbole.

But yes, we are arguing over it because jtr insists that the Rockets run ZERO plays in the half-court offense. Zero. And he's going around telling people that on here, spreading wrong information.

I even posted a Youtube clip of a play the Rockets run. But does that settle it? Of course not. jtr says there must be some other explanation, because the Rockets can't possibly run a set play lol.

It really is unbelievable.