1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on play calling:

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jtr, Feb 28, 2014.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

The Rockets have beaten the Spurs 3 times this season. If they don't have an elite NBA defense who does?

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

this why we didn't give up parsons.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Basically.

The reason we didn't give up Parsons for Rondo is because Parsons is a better basketball player.

4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

That was why there never was any chance that the Rockets would give up Parsons. Any talk about that was just crazy talk. Is there a better GM in the league at evaluating relative worth among players than Morey?

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

Rockets against top 5 defenses this year

Indy 0-1 81ppg
    Chicago 1-0 109ppg
    GSW 2-1 106.7ppg
    OKC 0-2 89ppg
    Spurs 3-0 106.7ppg

Total 6-4 record. 103ppg
    Edit: Average winning % of those 5 team: 68%

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Exactly. The Rockets perform well against most teams. Offensive oriented or defensive oriented.

7. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Is Morey GM or coach???
    Never see Larry Bird talk like this as GM!!!

8. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Oh, so that's why we struggle so much against elite defenses.

It works when you have vastly superior players (MIA) or veteran players (SAS. DAL). But with our group of youngsters, the non-playcalling results in very predictable isos or pnr plays. Us fans are the first to complain about the Harden isos and TOs. Because players will always revert to their tendencies.

I don't know how long we will allow this experiment to go on before giving it up. I believe our guys still need to be coached up when it comes to read-and-react, including Howard and Harden (or maybe especially those two).

9. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

We have to get stops against the elite defensive teams so we can push the pace and try and score in transition. Otherwise, the game slows down and teams like Indiana and Miami are too good.

10. PeppermintCandy

The high productiveness of random or improvised play may be due to the fact that the opposing team is expecting set plays and these random moments go against that expectation.
    The coach's job is probably to come up with the most effective offensive sets for his roster, while knowing when and how much to allow for random elements that can catch the opposing defense off guard.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

JVG is my hero. But if there's a signature of JVG it's... scoring droughts.

12. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

That's why Kevin Pritchard is the Indiana GM

13. Play07

Play07 Member

nawh bro... Contenders, Besides spurs ? we will see pretty soon what kind heart this team has.

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The reason why van gundy could get away with that is because he had a guy named Tmac. Set him a pick and he would pull jumper anywhere. I always felt that was money. I have never seen Harden do that. Harden only shoots two midrange jumpers a game and that's when he creates space from a crossover only.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Do you even watch the Rockets?

The Rockets have not overall struggled against elite defenses.

The Rockets are a top 5 offense with mediocre production from the 1 and 4, why the hell would they change their philosophy?

I think some people just want to b****.

16. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

That's why I feel it to be important to have a solid to great point guard who can run an offense on the fly and get shots. I understand why Morey showed some interest in Rondo even if he wasn't a great fit next to Harden.

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

No, he's not. Rondo is better. Far better. If you think it's close, you haven't done any research at all. If you said better fit, I'd shut up. If you said more potential and younger, I'd shut up. If you said Parsons gives us cap flexibility we need, I'd shut up. If you claimed injuries, I'd shut up. But that's not what you said. Parsons is in no way capable of doing half the things Rondo can do now. He is in no way the better player.

And this is coming from a fan that likes Parsons a lot. He's improved so much offensively since his rookie year. He's an all-arounder, but how many career triple-doubles does he have? Zero.

Rondo has 7. In the playoffs. You know, when the competition stiffens? And he's only two years older than Parsons.

18. anchel

anchel Member

Beautiful numbers. Now the reality:

Indiana, Memphis, OKC, Clippers, Miami, Charlotte, Chicago.... those are elite defenses. Spurs and Warriors are not, forget those numbers, watch the games.

Tell me how our offense looked against most of those teams.

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

UHMMMM. And how do you support your position? I do not doubt it, but it looks like you are relying on 2014 numbers. The overall seasons rankings are correct. Just saying.

20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Jesus dude. Rondo rode the coattails of three HOF candidates. How is that not obvious? And yes I have researched it extensively.