1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on Ish Smith: 32 beautiful passes and 1 ugly one

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 8, 2010.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Against the Timberwolves....lol....

And I will continue to have Brooks backs against people who don't understand what he is being asked to do out there.

Ignorance can not go unchecked.

DD

2. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

Yes I said the 6ft version of Rondo and what?? Get off my nutz.

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

That is why I keep responding to you broseph.

4. choujie

choujie Member

That's too small sample size. He had a good one against Lakers with 9 assists and 2 Tos. After that, basicly the same as last year.

5. choujie

choujie Member

He is asked to play better defense. Both RA and Moery said that more than once already.
    His offense is fine even with those TOs, but his defense is one of the biggest reasons Rockets are 0-5 when he started.

6. DaDakota

Not at all...he was pretty good all year until the injury, and in one game he had foul trouble.

Small sample size, but definetly improvement.

His defense, Shane's defense, Scola's defense, Yao's defense, everyone's defense...and I agree.

DD

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Only in the biased eyes of you and a select few others. AB is a bad passer and the sooner you remove your rose tinted glasses, the sooner you can step into reality. Good passers will not fragment a team fan base like AB has about his passing skills.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

probing the offense?

9. DaDakota

Nope, in the eyes of people who understand the game and watch for improvement.

He has made great passes to Yao in the PnR, to Scola in the PnR, across the baseline to Shane for 3pt shots.

His passing has improved drastically.

Only folks who have an agenda against him fail to notice his improvement.

Defense is an honest issue....but the passing issue is 100% bullcrap...

DD

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I rest my case!

11. chenjy9

Supporting Member

The only reason it looks like his passing is improving, is because he is passing the ball to open people sometimes instead of dribbling away the clock ALL the time. Any 3rd rate PG can make those passes. PnR is like the basics for a good PG. Thinking that he is in any way a good passer makes you delusional at best.

12. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

WTF you talking about man lol, at least this 3rd stringer pg > DJ Agustin of Charlotte (worse starting pg) ..
    He playing worse than Reefer now and i wonder why Larry Brown is letting him shoot that much :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  13. choujie

choujie Member

Come on, except the first game, his improvment at running the show is very limited.

AB's defense in particular is a bigger problem. He always gets under the screen and Rockets had to scramble to cover for him, and that taks a toll on other players after a while. It seems to me that everytime AB sits on the bench, opponents start to score at a slower pace.

Look how Ish did defensively in games against Spurs and Minny, the entire team simply became different defensively, even with Martin on the court against Minny.

1 person likes this.
  14. DaDakota

You guys continue to have your opinion, as wrong as I think it is.

Morey and Adelman agree with me......at least that is something, I guess.....

DD

15. NBAlover

NBAlover Member

the problem is we lack of defense more than offensive force. that is one of reasons we were running very well with Ish on the floor.

Let's wait and see Ish's performance on decent guards, then we can say sth. firmly.

16. NBAlover

NBAlover Member

DD always spoils his boy AB :grin: no matter what the other people are pointing out AB's biggest weakness is hurting us seriously.

1 person likes this.
  17. kevinmartin

kevinmartin Member

Brooks will be proven to be much more valuable than Smith when we pull off a trade for a superstar. Who would you want next to your main scorer who needs the ball in his hands? The 40% three point shooter or the guy who also needs the ball in his hands to be effective and can't pull his defender out farther than the free throw line?

18. DaDakota

Look we have had this argument a ton, we are not going to agree.

This thread was about Ish...let's get back on track.

I think he has ELITE level court awareness......best I have seen on the Rockets in years.

Hopefully he can develop a decent shot to go along with it.

Honestly, it seems he rushes the floaters, on his jumpers his form looks good....

So if he could fix the floater issues.....we are good to go.

DD

1 person likes this.
  19. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Inasmuch I know many are in awe about Brooks, that's just it! While nice, imho we don't need star power per se, at the point given all the weapons we have. We just need (and really have ALWAYS needed) a PG with elite court awareness and the ability to drive and draw fouls from time to time.

This is why I remain so hopeful about Lowry.

But even with ISH, I mean, it's fascinating to me (kinda like back in the Rafer days) what kind of PG works best with the likes of a Yao, or a Scola.

My fear and concern is that Brooks' game turns too much into... say a Stephon Marbury, when who we really need is someone more like Chauncey Billups imho.

Also - for argument's sake, if Brooks' is forever that run and gun shoot first PG, I'd much rather him come off the bench as a 6th man a la Bobby Jackson.

My two cents.

;)

theSAGE

1 person likes this.
  20. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Uh huh yea... that's why Rondo is so useless to the Celtics. You forget that we have another great shooter in Martin and we are suppose to have one in Bud. Oh yeah, if you honestly think that AB does not need the ball in his hands, you really need to watch actual games instead of BSPN highlight reels. Also, in case you missed it since they don't show it on the highlight reels, AB's lack of D is somewhat of a problem.