1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on Ish Smith: 32 beautiful passes and 1 ugly one

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

That is true.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Smith is very quick, so definitely flash in the pants.

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

And that reminds me, I forgot what game it was, it was a close game

and we ran like 2 straight PnR plays with Chuck Hayes.. Whyyyyyyyyy

4. AggieRocketsFan

Is this what happens? :p

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gnzdqsWelrk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gnzdqsWelrk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Great pass on the break, but not relevent to what we are talking about.

That is not a PnR.

BTW - I can make that pass.

:grin:

DD

#45 DaDakota, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  6. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

Rajon was also a horrible shooter his first 1.5 years in the league. That is something correctable with hard work.

The talent of his court vision- that is something we got very, very lucky on.

7. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Why is no problem for the celtics when opponents leave Rondo wide open?

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

:grin:

9. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

Plus, he lacks Rondo's pterodactyl-like wingspan

10. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

And he only has half of Rondo's pterodactyl-like facial features.

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

Good point, as I recall, they were on Rondo's case his first season. He has improved. Ish is very quick to the rim, but needs to finish better. Surely, that can happen. (excluding Rafer again) Court vision can't be taught, and the kid has it. And something else, an indefinable; sizzle, attitude, something, he has it. Kind of like Rondo, and the ole Celtics didn't respond, at first, remember?

12. DaDakota

Rondo can score in the lane, he is very good around the rim.....and his jumper is much improved.

Ish's college shooting % was really low too...he is NOT a scorer.

DD

13. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Not Rondo. Rondo is big and physical. Huge defensive presence and can rebound a little too. At best a Avery Johnson. Clutchfans. Where overreaction happens to 100% of our role players and their worth.

14. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    It hasn't been happening that much, and when it has AB isn't effective at it. As others pointed out, it wasn't good last year. A PnR at end of game situations is effective at end of game situations. We saw it for years with t-mac and yao. I understand comparing the current situation to that is apples to oranges, but we're talking about capability, and that's something that Brooks does not have. Don't get me wrong, I love AB, but he has glaring weaknesses. I also think when teams start scouting Ish, he will have major deficiencies as well.
    <br>
    Another thing I noticed last night, which may be a result of better point guard play is that Yao was getting the ball in much better spots. However, to this day Battier is still the only one who can throw in a proper entry pass to Yao. When I saw the repost on that one play by Battier, I was like OHMYGOD. It was beautiful. I think this a very notable point that indicates a huge weakness in all of our point guards. They have no ability to get Yao the ball in proper positions and repost him at the right time.

15. Come_Again?!

Come_Again?! Member

Ish's ability to get to the rim> Rafer Alston's career with the Rockets ;)

16. DaDakota

Agree, but that is mostly on Yao, and not anyone else....Yao's window for receiving the ball is really small for a guy so big.

Shane and Chase are the best at it from what I have seen.

DD

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

rondo can score at the rim, that's something a lot of people are not realizing when comparing them..

Guards that usually can't shoot very well can at least go to the rim....Rose, Kidd, Rondo, westbrook, etc...that helps a ton because you'll get high percentage shots at the rim...but Ish isnt getting any closer than about 5-6 feet, limiting his shots to 5-6 feet and out, which isnt good for someone that doesnt shoot well.

18. DaDakota

Not to mention Ish is a horrible FT shooter, teams will soon figure out it is better to just hack an Ish....than to let him shoot in the lane.

Well they are better off letting him shoot or fouling him on the pass....lol...both low percentage scoring ops for the Rox.

DD

19. s3ts

s3ts Member

i disagree. if not for the fouls committed against the players that shot the ball after Ish's dishes, Ish would have more than 10 assists in the game against the Timberpups.

the real question is, given the same amount of time, could he also produce that much against tougher teams?

Ish-Yao combo still hasn't been fully activated yet, and that's the thing that might bring him over the top.

20. DaDakota

Huh? What does that even mean?

If you are comparing PGs, the fouls happen when AB and Lowry pass the ball too.

This is a bizzare comment.

DD