1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on Ish Smith: 32 beautiful passes and 1 ugly one

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 8, 2010.

1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    You're not honestly trying to say Brooks is a good playmaker, are you?

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

There's a reason Adelman would often play Kyle Lowry and Brooks together, with Kyle handling the ball...

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think Brooks is a DECENT playmaker, but not a good or great one....He is about a 7apg tops type of player, but part of that is because his role is to score the ball too.

Whereas someone like Ish (if he can improve his shooting) could possibly average 9apg.....he is a much better passer.

My point was that people bang AB for his lack of assists, yet that is not his role as PG on this team, it is more of a scoring PG, Lowry and Ish are more comparible.

And Ish is a better passer than Lowry, Lowry gets a lot by pushing the tempo but in the half court he is not nearly as efficient, Ish seems to be a very good half court set up guy too......

Gonna be interesting how this all plays out....

DD

4. AggieRocketsFan

Ish knows how to get the ball to the open man, even if it takes a hockey assist.

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

Ish is somwhat "Rondo-lite." Sometimes you can improve shooting (remember Lebron's first season?) and sometime you can't (remember Rafer?) I will be interested to see him play against a higher level of competition. Those were some amazing passes, but what impressed me most was his interview after the game. The kid has charisma. Hmmm. Diamond in the rough or flash in the pan?

6. DaDakota

Yeah but when defenses start making that open man Hayes and Ish....watch what happens.

;)

DD

7. Mr. Clutch

Rafer was already a veteran when we got him, so it is unlikely his shooting would improve.

MOST guys improve their shot their first few years in the NBA. While I don't expect Ish to become a good 3 pointer shooter, I think he can become average from 2pt and the free throw line.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The problem with Brooks isn't his passing, it's his tempo.

Brooks hasn't a clue...

It's like running Bobby Jackson at point...

9. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

And that is what I am doing. I am comparing Ish to AB withouth saying it. Basically saying that he runs the offense completely different then AB but he is doing it more efficiently in my opinion.

AB is a different type of PG.

10. Mr. Clutch

Oh ok, I agree.

11. DaDakota

Correct, and the coaches run vastly different styles when each are in the game, both are playing the role they are given, and doing it well.

Now, both could improve.....

Ish on offense.
    AB on defense.

DD

12. Stack24

Or we could just attach them to each other in some way or breed them into one super PG

13. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Honestly, the thing I hate the most about Brooks' playmaking is his waving off picks. Adelman's offense revolves around picks and cuts. Yeah, we get it Aaron...you can get to the rim at will. Using the pick and roll effectively creates all sorts of chaos and opportunities for your teammates. Which is of course, the main function of a pg. The thing about Brooks is he can turn it on at any time. Everyone else has to get involved first, and that's what he has to make happen.

14. Stack24

You would figure he would know how to do the pick and roll by now since we continue getting burned by it year in and year out. If you can't stop it why not try to replicate it and use it to your advantage.

15. DaDakota

See that is when you have CP3......

DD

16. DaDakota

A PnR is not effective at the end of games because teams blitz the ball.

AB runs the PnR with Scola and Yao all game long, until the very end where they go 4 flat.

Which is exactly what worked last year, and is the best option late in games for a good shot.

DD

17. worzel gummidge

AB worst starting PG at running PnR according last season according to Synergy.

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

Most of Rafer shots were open looks he just couldn't make them.

19. Mr. Clutch

One of the worse defending it, too.

20. DaDakota

Yeah, he was not really good at it last year....this year much better, lots of open looks to Scola.

I actually think the sitting might be good for him, Ish is really good at the PnR....and AB might be able to learn a bit by watching how Ish runs it.

DD