1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on 790 and 610 to talk about Chandler Parsons leaving

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rock3t Man, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It doesn't mean that. It sounds bad though. But we were planning on adding Bosh then resigning Parsons so it doesn't mean that. Bad timing on this one.

2. Major

Major Member

Nonsense. 95% of NBA players take the highest contract offered to them. It's a very simple process - you want a guy, you offer to pay them more than anyone else. That's what Parsons did, and what Morey should have expected. He just likely thought no one would offer as much as Dallas did.

3. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Hearing Morey explain the thought process and reassure that we aren't done making moves has helped me start to get over this. I just hope anoher move happens quickly!

4. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

This. Along with the fact that Dallas definitely put a deadline to accept the offer as well as the trade kicker to make it nearly impossible to match.

5. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Cuban didn't get a discount by any means. Chandler's contract might be the single worst in the entire league, depending on if he expands his game at all.

6. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Often times, the good moves dont happen "quickly" so dont fret. The best moves take time to develop. Just be happy we are in the postition (and have a GM) to make a good move with the cap space we have. When it happens, this whole site will be singing a very different tune....

7. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Except it was reported Parsons' agent was the one pushing for those terms that made it impossible to match. He only does that if he doesn't want Houston to match. Then Parsons goes on record last night implying the Rockets organization didn't believe in him like Dallas did. It's not just about the money. I personally think Houston would have matched without the trade kicker and player option. It's clear Chandler was somewhat disgruntled with Houston and his agent wanted him in an environment where he could take on a much larger role.

8. Major

Major Member

Fair enough - so we spin our wheels until we get 3 stars. Or maybe they need 4 if they don't win in the first year with 3? Why do you need 3 stars before you build a team? No team out there has 3 stars anymore. Miami did. Spurs sort of do, but they are really just a team of 10 awesome role players in a great system. No one else does.

Agreed - they won 54 games. Arguably, they were the 6th best team in the NBA, with 2 of the teams above them imploding (IND, MIA). That leaves only SA, OKC, and LAC as clearly better. Maybe Cleveland jumps up, but that's unclear. So the question again is why is a 3rd star necessary? If you're in the top-6ish teams in the NBA, you're a contender as-is.

They were fortunate to be able to get star players in consecutive years - now you have to build around them. Trying to get 3 is a fool's errand, especially with none likely available next season. So then you're planning cap space for 2016, at which point Howard/Harden are nearing the ends of their contracts. This strategy seems to be designed for an era with 7-yr type deals. Today, when you're signing people to 4 yr contracts, you shouldn't be throwing away seasons for cap flexibility when you already have a good team. You do that when you have no stars - not when you have 2.

9. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

He better make another move and soon, fans are pissed

10. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

If he was in OKC he would have added Howard to Westbrook and Durant... Don't underestimate the guy.

11. Major

Major Member

If you want to play for Houston and you know you have a GM that dumps players at will, you ask for a trade kicker so you know you're likely to stay with the team you signed to play with instead of being traded to Minnesota in 6 months. It has nothing to do with not wanting to play for Houston - this is just the cost of building a reputation for treating players like assets.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Spin our wheels until we get our 3rd star or spin our wheels indefinitely because Parsons destroys our cap?

Your choice.

As far as the philosophy, Morey said almost all teams that won had 3 elite players. Would be nice to see the data.

Disagree with you that no elite players will be available. Love, Rondo, and Aldridge will all be free agents next year and we're just starting the summer.

13. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I just want to clarify I was trying to tell some members of ClutchFans that Parsons would net a 15 million per year deal... In the NBA if you want a guy. You give him the highest you can give... it's really simple... You can say he is this value and that value, but it's so irrelevant if you think that player can help your team to a title. Tomato --- Tomato...

14. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Oh and on record... We will still be a top 5 team in the NBA next season... barring injuries...

15. OldYelllowDog

OldYelllowDog Contributing Member

Morey was highly complementary about Parsons, hedged the question about being worth max contract, but the trade kicker and "untradeable" contract sealed the outcome. Always try to keep some flexibility.

If Morey had kept Parsons for that last option year and then traded Parsons and other "assets" for another player, there would be just as many upset fans (and probably players) as we have today. Parsons was a fan and teammate favorite. Trading him would have been a PR disaster too.

We swung for the fences, the ball cleared the fence but the out field player jumped the fence and caught the ball in the nick of time.

Man, a kick in the gut. Hopefully our Rockets will be better later on than we are this morning.

16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets just need to focus on building a team. We have the Harden/Howard duo. We have Ariza now, who I think is a great addition to the team. We have Pat and TJones that are up and coming. We have Troy who seems to be ready for prime time. Now we just another playmaker and 2 reliable bigs. My ideal scenario is that we move TJones to the bench (I feel he is a great energy 6th man) and that we get a solid player next to Howard who can help box and get rebounds. I also hope that we get another shooter, a veteran like Mike Miller would be great or if Carlos Delfino is healthy, try to trade for him. We also need a solid big man that can provide solid defense, some garbage points and some rebounds, nothing spectacular, just someone that knows their role and does it right.

17. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Good point, I had considered that as well. Either way, the whole thing smells fishy to me what with Morey declining the team option and Chandler being so chummy with Cuban. My first immediate thought was that Chandler knew he wasn't coming back, or at least didn't want to be back. I'm sure there's much more than meets the eye going on here. The stories always come out eventually. I guess we'll just have to wait.

18. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

That is so funny. I am going to say that Love, Aldridge are not coming here, Rondo, also less likely. Even if he is here, he is not much better than Parsons. You are still thinks Rondo is three year ago one, but he is not.

19. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

why u r so sure. u r not lex. lex want money. fans want cham that will hurt his money. Daryl did a very good job to prop cham to bait fans while making more money for lex. signing dwright then this off season? perfect bait and switch, both for dwright and fans.

20. scottie brooks

Apparently that's not how it works because they are eventually given insane maxed out contracts by complete douchers making them hard to keep on a team that needs to improve. Don't let us fool ourselves, We NEED to improve.

We would only have improved this yr from becoming a more cohesive group with parsons on the team. We could only have hoped that parsons made the leap to All star stud that could play up to his contract. That being a long shot, he was replaced by Ariza thus letting the rockets continue to keep the rotating door of assets open for another chance at improving.

Is it the best strategy? Who knows, but it keeps our options open. Something that would have been impossible in keeping Parsons and wishing for the best.

No one puts Morey in a corner.