1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on 790 and 610 to talk about Chandler Parsons leaving

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rock3t Man, Jul 14, 2014.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Torocan you are an excellent poster. I have learned a lot from you, but we don't have the assets for a 3rd star. If we had beaten Portland, we might have had a chance in obtaining Love.

DM should try to acquire better role players first.

2. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

3. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

that wasn't really the point.

the point is these guys only turn into assets rather than returning players. parker, manu, and duncan werent all top 20 players last year in the NBA. houston has 2 top 20 stars already. what 3rd "star" are the rockets looking for? a top 20- top 40 player? do you really need an elite level 3rd player or some guy in-between average and elite?

just feels like the team is just sifting for gold every season. are harden and howards contracts going to expire while morey is continually looking for a 3rd star?

maybe instead of looking for the next star, they should of been building the organization through a system of basketball and developing players to fit into the system.

appears to be asset/value building rather than building a championship team.

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Dawson didn't build that team at all, he took over because Dawson was downright awful at building around Yao and Tracy. The only person even in our starting lineup for those playoffs from prior to Morey was Yao.

5. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

maybe we'll work on the shingles in year 4

hopefully while having cap flexibility!

6. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Don't forget his torrid love affair with Vassilis Spanoulis...

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think Morey's definition of elite is probably different than what we think of as elite.

I don't know what stat models he uses for "elite" so we can't really judge, but I doubt he thinks you need 3 of the top 20 players in the entire NBA.

The Spurs for example has 3 players who were top 10 at their position (Duncan, Ginobli, Leonard) and Parker who was just outside of the top 10 this year but has traditionally been one of the best.

8. Raven

Raven Member

As I have said before, if the Rockets weren't planning to match, he should have been traded last year. If they didn't think he was going to be overpaid, they grossly miscalculated.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Especially when your 'stars' all make like 7-12 million a year. I'd like to see Morey's plan for pulling that off.

10. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

We'll see what happens when Leonard is up for a contract and someone offers him the max.

11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Exactly: Dallas would NEVER have drafted Parsons - they probably didn't even know he was available in the 2nd round. Their draft history compared to "Murry's" is dismal. The last player they drafted who actually contributed was Josh Howard.

12. saleem

I do feel that DM is overrated, but it was he and not CD who got us into the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Landry, Scola, Artest, Brooks, Lowry, all were acquired by him.

Ironically, we had 2 stars in Yao and T-Mac and then only one in Yao.
    We beat them at that time, and now we are stuck.

#92 saleem, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  13. Raven

Raven Member

Let's be honest and admit the distinct possibility that Les told Morey not to match. Do you think Morey would admit that? Nope, his job is to take the flack, and let's remember why Les hired him to begin with - to find high value low cost players.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The only way for that to happen is for them to decline, look washed up, sign a new contract and then find the fountain of youth.

15. saleem

Les goofed up big time too. They shouldn't have picked up Parsons' option.

16. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

I appreciate his implication that Chandler is not an elite player, he said many times how much he liked him, but never said he was elite. If elite is what he wants then he did the right thing. I think the bigger issue is covering the defensive liability that is James Harden and Parson's inability to do that made him expendable with that contract. Sounds as though money wise, they would have met the money, but the contract was immovable.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

This is why they will never win a championship like Morey did.

18. houactuar

houactuar Member

It wasn't just the money, it was the poison pills.

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I guess this is Morey's plan then if he is pointing to the Spurs as an example of how to do things.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If we're going to do it like the Spurs we need to tank this year in order to get the #1 pick in the draft.