1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on 610 at 5pm today!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by XBLRocketman111, Jul 17, 2009.

1. dreamfellas21

dreamfellas21 Member

is white on the squad for sure????? id rather have budinger and taylor. and of course wafer.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would bet $$$$ that White is a goner after SL play....

DD

3. Nook

Nook Member

Daniels took the BAE because he wants to play for the Celtics, he could of gotten more elsewhere.

Why would Wafer take a low contract offer from the Rockets? They have low balled him. If he cant get a larger contract elswhere my guess is that he takes a low offer elsewhere.

4. logicx

logicx Member

Unless I missed something...I agree.

5. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

How is giving him a small offer lowballing him if he can't get a large offer anywhere else? Obviously his market value isn't very high. My guess, other GMs in this league value defense and want somebody who is willing to share the ball. And the Warriors already have enough guards.

6. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Teams usuall wait until after training camp in October, before deciding to cut non-guaranteed contracts. Last year, Morey added more players to increase the roster to 17 players. Then, Morey did the major cutting. Some players like Campbell and Leunen released instead of being waived, because there were no contracts. Other players that didn't have guaranteed contracts were waived, like Daryl Strawberry and Mike Harris.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6077369.html
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6041664.html

7. Knight

Knight Member

Sorry DD, I tend to think White will make training camp. That's because there is no reason for the Rockets not to take him to training camp to have a look at him there.

From my understanding, if the Rockets take Budinger or Taylor there, they will lose their rights to the player if they don't make the roster - so Morey must evaluate carefully as to whether they are likely to make the roster before taking them to camp. But he has no such dilemma with White, and so White will get a few pre-season games to prove himself before either being cut or offered a roster spot.

If I am White, I will be spending every waking minute at the basketball court and the gym right now... :)

8. DaDakota

I think Chase will be there for sure, and I think because of the $$$$ spent to acquire Taylor, he will be there as well.......it just seems that White will be the odd man out to me.

It is early though, and he has been working his butt off, I just think he is not NBA caliber.

But I do agree, he will make training camp, no reason to not let him come and battle it out........

I would honestly be amazed if the team does not offer Chase a contract....the whole stuff em overseas deal got significantly changed from an organizational perspective when the Rockets took over the Rio Grande Vipers.....now they can stuff them in the D-League running the ROCKETS system...much better for a quicker transition to the big club.

DD

9. BetterThanEver

DD,

It doesn't work like that. If they are stuck in the NBDL, they are still part of the roster unless the Rockets give up their rights. Then, the player can play on any NBDL team and sign with any team.

10. DaDakota

Yes, I am very much aware of that....that is entirely my point, if you think they WILL develop, you give them a spot on the 15 man roster and send them to the Vipers to develop in the Rockets system.

This way they develop FASTER for the Houston Rockets......

DD

11. BetterThanEver

Section 1. NBADL Work Assignments.
    (a) An NBA Team may at any time assign a player on its Active List or Inactive List to a NBA Development League (“NBADL”) team, provided that the player has either zero (0) or one (1) Years of Service at the time of the assignment. Upon such assignment (“NBADL Work Assignment”), the player will be placed on the NBA Team’s Inactive List, and shall (i) report to the NBADL team (and render for the NBADL team such services as the player is required to render for the NBA Team under his Uniform Player Contract and this Agreement), and (ii), at the direction of the NBA Team, subsequently return and report to, and resume the performance of services for, the NBA Team. An NBADL Work Assignment commences when the player reports in-person to the NBADL team, and ends either when the player, upon being recalled, reports back to his NBA Team or when the NBADL season concludes.

12. DaDakota

BTE,

Uh, yeah, as I said....been there, done that, bought the T-shirt.

If you send the guys to Europe, you don't know what coach they will get, what system they will be running, what they are being taught, you HOPE they develop.

If you send them to Rio Grande, you KNOW what they are being taught and can control their development.

I think that changes a lot of the Rockets thinking now that they control the minor league club, they will sign players looking to ASSIGN them to the D-League now....

Entirely my point.

DD

13. BetterThanEver

meh. Brooks and Landry were sent to d-league, but I don't think it helped or hurt them. If they had stayed, they would learn from elite coaches like Turner, Adelman, and Sikma instead of d-league coaches.

14. DaDakota

You are missing the point, the Rockets took over the Vipers THIS offseason, they now control everything about the organization.

They get to pick the coach, install the system, teach the fundamentals....

It all changed because of this....now players can be sent there and RUN the exact same system the Rockets are running.

It is WHY the Rockets did the deal...to put players there and let them develop more quickly under their system.

Do you honestly not see how that changes their thinking about stashing players or younger players on the roster?

They now have total control....of their minor league team........it changes a lot, IMO.

DD

15. BetterThanEver

DD, time will tell if it works. Who do you think will be sent to d-league?

16. DaDakota

That depends on the final roster, this is an unusual year in that expectations are low etc.

And because White is not a first or second year player he can not be assigned to the D-league, so I think that works against him too.

If Taylor and Budinger are signed, and Wafer is brought back, I would think both Budinger and Tayler are assigned there.

If Wafer is not brought back, it would be betwen Budinger and Taylor, and my $$$$ would be on Taylor, his fundamentals need a lot of work.

And if Tmac comes back (I know a big if) it might mean both Budinger and Taylor are assigned there.

I think the Rockets will use the D-league much more effectively now that they control it.

DD

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It'll be interesting to see how that plays out. I think the Rockets broke new ground taking over the Vipers, didn't they? You'd think being able to put a guy like Taylor (or Air Bud) there to develop is exactly why they did it.

18. DaDakota

Actually the Rockets took the cheaper way out, the Spurs and Lakers bought their minor league team a year or so earlier..

The Rockets waited until they could do it for little $$$$ etc....smart move.

This changes everything as far as development, you can sign a guy to a very low contract, and control his development.....very very smart.

DD

19. logicx

logicx Member

Thanks for the clarification. I should have been more clear, I really just think he'll be gone. When? I don't know. But I'm pretty sure he'll be gone unless he does something spectacular...maybe in the preseason if he gets some playing time?

20. logicx

logicx Member

Correction: Well, since it seems I can't read, I guess he probably won't be here that long!

Either way...since I can't seem to read...I don't think he'll be around long. I was hoping he'd be better. Clyde was bragging on him a lot at the end of the last season and I was hoping he'd seen something that we hadn't. Oh well.