1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on 610 at 5pm today!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by XBLRocketman111, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Serg300

Serg300 Member

I'm not saying he is the answer. I'm saying he has proven he can play at an NBA level. The other guys haven't. There are several guys in the league that have been on multiple teams before they actually made a name for them selves.
    Budinger is the only one that has really stood out, he is a lock. If Taylor or White can be as effective as Wafer was last season then fine let him walk.

2. Art7

Art7 Member

he said
    that von will have to compite for that open spot?
    mannn
    i guess scoring 10 points a game
    and shooting 44% dont mean much these dayz

3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

5:00 there is 3:00 here, so it's tough to listen at work. Thanks though.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The problem - VW believes he has earned starter minutes; RA disagrees. If VW would come in determined to work for starter minutes he'd be back.

5. RocketGirl6

RocketGirl6 Member

I wonder if Morey has a problem with Von's agent as well. I know he had a fit during the playoffs and that hurt him with contract stuff, but some of the stuff that Von's agent has said might be why the Rockets haven't spent alot of time talking to Von.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He said there is one ROTATION spot available, not ROSTER spot......

I think Von is 50/50 for coming back...I think Morey wants him cheap, but will see what he gets elsewhere first.

Morey PodCast is up

DD

7. rocketsmetalspd

Morey talked about going through the next steps of making trades. I have a feeling that maybe Cook and Barry maybe on the way out to create roster spots or if a good Star player maybe had that TMac will be traded if not he will end finishing up his contract with the team. I believe this team will make us all proud in the end.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Why do you think there is a 50% chance the supposedly highly talented Von Wafer wouldn't attract a contract above the low-ball figure Morey is supposed to be offering?

9. DaDakota

First, I don't think any contract has been offered but if you listen to the podcast Morey is talking to his agent.

Also, I think the economy is depressed and teams are being extra frugal, witness Marquis Daniels going from 7 million a year down to the 1.9m bi-annual exception.

And players at the lower end of the $$$$ spectrum get signed last, I think Morey wants him back but thinks he can get him cheap...and he just might be right.

DD

10. Carl Herrera

Wait, the economy is the only reason why Daniels is not making $7 million a year?

Why would Super Von be on the lwer end of the $$$$ spectrum?

11. DaDakota

Don't be obtuse man, I have had this discussion ad nauseum. You come up with your own reason.

DD

1 person likes this.
  12. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

People here really overrate Von Wafer.

He is a good spark off the bench, nothing more. Too big a liability on the defensive end to get big minutes. Never really thinks pass.

This team would be better off without him.

13. Carl Herrera

My reason is he's not that good.

Yours?

14. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

I wonder how much of the MLE is left to sign him with? $1 mil?

15. BleedRocketsRed

The MLE is $5.6M and approx $2.5M is spent on David Andersen. Meaning the Rockets have $3.1M. I think if Von returns (which I don't think he will, the team spent almost $5M to get Budinger/Taylor which seems like indication that they were preparing to lose Wafer), it would either be for part of the LLE or the minimum. No way they give him part of the MLE. Either save that for later in the season (Euro guy or something) or the end of this offseason.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Rockets used the LLE last year on Brent Barry, I believe. And Morey sounded like he planned to use part of the MLE to sign our draft picks (Taylor, Budinger). He also said he wanted to keep a roster spot open, to maintain space for trades. If Wafer is added to the team, I would guess it would happen close to training camp rather than mid-offseason. Morey doesn't seem to enthusiastic about him, considering he's saying Wafer would have to fight over that last rotation wing spot along with the rookies.

17. BleedRocketsRed

Forgot about the LLE being spent on Barry. Good point.

Forgot about signing the draft picks. Is it allowed to sign the 2nd rounders to partially-guaranteed minimum deals? Save the remainder of the MLE for a proven FA?

18. DaDakota

Heck yes, you can sign them to anything you like....minimum, non guaranteed, heck, you can even not offer them a contract, which is what happens to Luenan and Newley each year.

I think Chase has a guaranteed spot, not sure about Taylor yet, but since the Rocks paid $2 million for his selection, I doubt Morey let's him go without giving him a year at least under the Rocks control, probably playing for the Vipers.

DD

19. Serg300

Serg300 Member

Do you really think he is going to start over Ariza or Battier? I don't remeber him asking to be a starter. He is wanting a raise which is fine but lets not go over board. He is the energy we need off the bench.

20. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

So, at $2.5 mil for Andersen and another $1.0 mil for the rookies would leave about $2 mil in the port from the MLE. I say Morey offered something just over the minumum, $750K possibly, which Von took as a rebuke. He is realistically looking for at least twice that much. Maybe they should split the diff at $1 mil for 3 years player option the last year :D