1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on 610 1/16

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MR. MEOWGI, Jan 17, 2008.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Where are you getting those numbers? Wade is no doubt turnover-prone, and that's a weakness, but per 40 minutes he's at 4.1 for his career, and much less than that as a rookie. Plus, he handles the ball a ton more. Imagine how much worse Spanoulis's turnover rate would be if he played mostly PG?

Aargh ... actually let's not get back into this discussion.

2. poprocks

poprocks Member

Just extend out his 2007-2008 numbers from NBA.com. You're right about his career per 40 so actually D-Wades turnovers this season are much worse than normal. Is that a function of how bad the Heat are this season or his injuries remains to be seen. Vspan, there's only one season of data with limited time so who knows. Not really a good comparison cause there's not enough data to be statistically relevant.

3. durvasa

You brought up the comparison, not I. And if you really want to assess how turnover-prone a player is, you have to consider how much they are handling the ball as well. Nash also turns it over a lot per minute, but he has the ball in his hands 60% of the possession. Spanoulis's turnover per "time with the ball" ratio probably led the league for a guard.

4. poprocks

poprocks Member

Anyways..back to the subject at hand. Lets put the D-Wade/Vspan thing to rest. This entire thread is so random. I am having difficulty in even trying to figure out what the discussion here is for. Something about Morey's comments on 610 radio? His entire interview was random and judging by his answers it was entirely scripted. I don't fault Morey for saying to play Hayes more but c'mon defense can be taught. It's mainly a function of foot speed and positioning. Landry is plenty fast and once he watches films and get his defense down, he'll be a tough defender. Too bad Gundy didn't have a chance to train him before Adelman got here. Scola I don't think will be a great defender ever because his footspeed is slow.

Quick hands and quick feet and body positioning is what makes a great defender. Slapping at the ball underhanded will typically never get you a foul because the refs can't see you half the time hacking the wrist. But with guys like Bosh or Boozer, you have to not give in to his positioning. But the problem is like this. If Boozer receives the ball in the post, I don't think Hayes, Landry or Scola are able to stop him. At that point, you're looking to try to block his shot or get an opening to try to poke the ball away. The best defense for a guy like Bosh is to deny him the ball in the first place.

5. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Uh, the whole league struggles against those guys.

6. durvasa

It's rare for the post defender to block the shot. But in terms of stripping the ball away while defending the post, there are few players in the league better at it than Chuck.

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

good defense is not as entirely predicated on just speed.

yes, it can be taught, but if you dont have the desire or smarts to be a good defender, all the teaching and athleticsm and speed in the world is not gonna help you become great.

You claim Scola is too slow to be a good defender, if this is so how do you explain his quickness in the paint on his moves and when going for rebounds?
    Have you not noticed how fast he can get up the court in transition?

Rumors of his slowness are disproved by the available facts at our disposal. (tape)

Hayes is very good because of his smarts and desire. Sure, he is pretty quick on help D, but his main advantage is he uses his weight and strength to make himself fairly immoveable in the post. the only way you get a clean shot on Hayes is to shoot over him, which seems to have become harder to do as Chuck gets better at staying up on the shooter without fouling.

Landry definitely has the tools, he is quick, atheltic, tall enough to not be easily shot over by all but the tallest of the PFs.
    What will make the difference for him is if he is smart enough and has the desire to be a good defender.

I havent seen anything so far to indicate he lacks in these areas...and I do agree his defensive advancement would have been jumpstarted if he came in last year under JVG.

edit...btw, fullly agree with durv, Chuck is one of the best I have seen lately at swiping the ball away without fouling.

8. AkeemTheDreem86

Having not read this entire thread, I ask who do you, R2K, at this point in the season, believe should start at PF? Who do you think should log the most minutes? Who would you rather see finishing games at the 4?

Just curious to see a fellow veteran Rockets fan's opinion at this point...