1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey needs to be on the hot seat as well

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roxallways, Apr 23, 2014.

1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

One thing for sure if McHale is here next season it's because he is Morey's puppet

Never seen such an incompetent coach

2. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

3. downbytheriver

Yup, aside from Harden falling into his lap allowing the Rox to get Howard -- Morey has been a HUGE failure . I have lost count of how many bad decisions he's made that have bit him in the ass as well as the amount of tinkering he does with the roster that ultimately makes it worse... patterson and t rob would be great right about now. He's kinda the gm version of lin and parsons, marketable to fanboys but soft as hell and easily exposed

1 person likes this.
  4. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I knew I might get flamed for this thread and I've been a big Morey supporter over the years but this team really is flawed right now. Like I said in original post, I'd be interested to see how this team does under better coaching but my confidence in Morey is waning.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Just shut up already.

6. s.b713

s.b713 Member

I agree, he has assembled a good core he's a great GM imo. I just hope he rectifies n fires Mchale after the series is done.

7. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Yes, Maury needs to be held accountable as well. He's the one that's assembled this team from the coaching staff on down to the players. He's put together a glorified streetball team with a YMCA coach.

8. i3artow i3aller

It's not like he hired McHale for this group of guys. McHale was brought in when we thought we were going to be young and mediocre. What we needed was Phil Jackson.

9. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Honestly Harden is just playing like he doesn't give a single ****.

Not to mention I have no idea what in the hell offensive game plan the Rockets are trying to run. Or why Aldridge is not being doubled.

1 person likes this.
  10. treeman

treeman Member

No. Morey's main job is to get talent here, and he did that. It's on the coach to get that talent to perform. Coach didn't do that.

Morey IS, however, responsible for coaching changes. If McHale stays then that is on Morey. I think it';s time for a change there... If Morey doesn't, then Les might think it's time for a change. But I think that unless we see a miracle in Portland, the writing's on the wall for McHale.

11. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

I literally LOL'D at this title. Fire McHale, not ****ing Daryl Morey you dunce.

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Morey has done a great job....so far. The McHale hire was fine at the time because the team was going nowhere. Ironically the Rockets were a victim of their own success by landing Howard and Harden so quickly. It retroactively made the choice of McHale look terrible, but who the hell thought 3 years ago that we'd have those two players on our team?

All that being said, now Morey is on the hot seat. This is a pivotal offseason for this team. Remember, Howard can opt out after 2 more years. So as much as Morey is hellbent on going after a 3rd superstar in 2015, we cannot afford to sacrifice another season just to preserve cap space for players who may never come here anyway.

Over this summer, Morey must first hire a quality head coach. There are plenty of them out there right now, so he has no excuse to not secure the services of one of them. Then he must get this team a bench. Lin and Asik are gone in no more than a year. We need replacements for those two as well as reliable backups who can take the spots of Garcia and Casspi. And finally and most importantly, he must make sure that next season, the emphasis will be on becoming a dominant defensive team. If the players refuse to buy into that, start dealing them away. Cuz no team in modern history has won a title without playing solid defense. Just ask the Phoenix Suns.

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly. And he needs to stop pulling the strings on how this team runs its offense. A good coach would never adopt his offensive philosophy so I guess it goes hand in hand with hiring a good HC.

14. Edward77547

Edward77547 Member

Who was the best player besides Dwight that Morey got in this offseason?? OMRI FREAKING CASSPI... No but seriously he will get at least 2 more years and should deserve to go if he can't put together some good role players.

15. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Well, at least we know what the hell is the problem with this team. We need a fcking PF that are tall and can defend Adridge. Jones is good for off the bench for now. Remember, we have problem with other Western teams defending at the PF position as well...such as Memphis for example. We also need to replace a dumb ass coach like McFail that doesn't seem to know much about team strategy.

16. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

Morey is great at bringing in talent..... If we just let go of "Moreyball", he'll be universally liked......

This doctrine of shooting layups and threes without a midrange game needs to go..... It will be amazing how much better this team plays if we just run a normal offense. The layups and threes will come anyway, but the midrange game keeps defenses honest.

17. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

The eye test so far indicates that Morey ball will not get this team a championship, no matter how much talent is on the roster. Now I feel the biggest flaw right now is lack of direction and coaching, but many on this board have expressed that McHale is kind of an extension of Morey on the bench and implements Morey's philosophy in the game plan. All I'm implying is maybe we shouldn't be so blind in our loyalty to Morey at this point either.

18. carlosc

carlosc Member

Morey is an obvious charlatan. The fact that people rush to defend him is incredible to me.

The Rockets have all sorts of problems but to ignore that one of the central problems is their general manager seems silly. The Rockets are going to get swept and people are still going to be babbling about all the supposed great things Morey's done. Unreal.

19. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

What is this "silliness" you're talking about? :confused: The coach can be let go at the end of the year, as this is the last year of his contract. What has Morey done wrong?

20. haydenfisher342

Morey cant make the baskets for them. Rockets didnt shoot with confidence. They couldnt make shots because they were not taking them. I love houstons philosophies but one thing that needs to change is to develop an offensive set, that results in 3s and dunks/layups. Coach Nick from Bball breakdown would be who I would want to coach the Rockets