1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey make your move! Artest does 180 and opts out!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shawndme7, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

So where is he going? The lakers?

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/013542.html

In an e-mail to the Bee just minutes ago, Kings small forward Ron Artest indicated he may indeed opt out of his contract before the Monday deadline and become a free agent.
    Asked about a NY Post column in which Peter Vecsey said Artest would be opting out, Artest had the following to say.
    "I never knew so many teams would be coming after me," he wrote. "All I can say is I made a hundred degree turnaround."
    Of course he may have meant a 180-degree turnaround, but you get the idea. As I mentioned on the Rise Guys this morning, Artest opting out can't be that shocking to anyone who knows him well. While he would most certainly make more money by becoming a free agent next summer, his name is hot at the moment and numerous championship-caliber teams appear to see him as their missing piece. If there is one player in the league who would be willing to lose money for the chance to go deep in the playoffs and get a ring, it's Artest. For all his complexities and his penchant to distract, he is a beast of a competitor who truly wants to win. Stay tuned for more throughout the day. - Sam Amick

2. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

I knew there was a god!

3. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I thought he said the other day he would never take the MLE. :confused: So how exactly is he gonna take so much less money to play for a champion. I wish he wouldn't opt out so we could trade Battier and parts for him, unless he really is doing a "100" turn on the salary part.

4. ibm

ibm Member

a 100 (180) degree turn? doesn't it sound typically dramatic from artest? lol.

5. rockets_fanatic

Well it might be a good career move for him to take a pay cut to wina championship. Lets say for argument sake he goes to us for the mill. We win the championship and he plays great ball and stays in control of himself, then the year after, gets a new contract...a bigger contract with another club.

6. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

artest once said that he play for free to be under Rick.

Lets hope he will play for 9m per year. SnT, bjax,head and hayes.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yeah this is Tru Warier Ron Artest we're talking about. I think he probably meant 100 degrees and not 180.

8. stonecold999

stonecold999 Member

wow... with rockets have so many PF on their roster now, hayes, Scola, landry, and dorsey.... trades coming???

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

At least he didn't say "300". He hasn't opted out yet so teams may still trade for him to keep his bird rights.

10. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Don't you think he'll immediately look to sign with LA though? Morey's going to have to really sell this one. If not LA, then San Antonio, and I think then us, but he must wonder where he would fit on this team, as do I. If we get him, do we go small with him at PF? Do we trade Battier?

11. kwng

kwng Member

OMG .. don't ever let him land at LA .... ever ...

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

He can SG/SF. At the moment our backup depth there is Jackson, Head, and Greene who's not meant to contribute.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

Unless there's a "wink wink" deal involved, it's NEVER a good idea to take less money just to make yourself more of a winner.

Winning has never elevated salary of stars in the league. Sure, sometimes a scrub on a championship team will get the MLE because he's a "winner". But Artest will get a ton of jack no matter what kind of team he was on.

14. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Do whatever you have to do to get him.

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Why are you happy that he opted out? He is almost assuredly getting more money, otherwise he wouldn't have opted out. The Rockets do not have the cap space to sign someone for more money than Artest would have made had he stayed in Sacramento.

Our best chance to land him all along was via trade if he DID NOT opt out. This way I severely doubt he will be a Rocket ever. There are plenty of bad teams willing to give him 10 mill a year, and if he wants to "sacrifice" and win now, he will sign with the Lakers over us.

16. coolthunderz

coolthunderz Member

And Artest was a math major...wow

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

He hasn't opted out. If he does the Kings lose him for nothing. Their price was too high last season. Before Artest went to the Kings Les personally called him as the Rockets were interested in getting him. Morey said they were going to try to use the second round pick they got from Memphis for next year in a trade...

Jackson + Head + 2009 Memphis' draft pick for Artest

18. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

mike miller fits this team and offense better. but artest is an upgrade so if we can get him, we must.

19. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I also don't buy that he will sign for the MLE. Artest is about the money which is why he was considering not opting out. In spite of all his talent if he opts out there will be no takers above the MLE. He said earlier that he ain't taking MLE money. Nothing has changed MLE money is all that is available, unless the Maloofs have agreed to a SnT. If they have the Rockets could be involved in that, but a more likely scenario would be he just signs straight up for the full MLE. Why would he do a 100 degree switch? Because the Rockets have more perks in a shoe deal. This all speculation but what we know is Artest loves Adelman... Artest wants to win and Artest wants the most bucks he can get. The Rockest can offer him all three.

20. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

His agent is there to keep remiding him everyday when he says he wants to opt out his only way to play for a contender and get paid is by not opting out and being traded for since no conteders can afford him. :rolleyes:

We all can agree the guy's not bright. But he can definantly play ball and is a clear upgrade over Battier. :cool:

I also have a hunch Sac would rather trade him to us than an old rival in LA.

#20 redgoose, Jun 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2008