1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey: "Joey Dorsey has become the best defensive big in Europe"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 17, 2014.

?

How will he do next season?

1. Asik-level good

44 vote(s)
    8.8%
  2. Pretty Good

104 vote(s)
    20.9%
  3. Serviceable

277 vote(s)
    55.6%
  4. Poor

73 vote(s)
    14.7%
  1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

And that's a better thing?

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Ceiling: Chuck Hayes
    Floor: Torayye Braggs

3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Loved his defense coming out of Memphis, really thought he would be a poor man's Ben Wallace, just terrorizing the boards. Too bad he never took the game serously. I certainly hope he's matured.

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

If I had to guess it's

[​IMG]

5. cebu

cebu Member

sales talking...

watch out for Pelicans trading A Davis for Dorsey.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

With the lack of good centers in the league it think he might be able to hold his own out there. Isn't that what we need with Dwight resting? Rebounds, boxing out?

People here are so ****ing picky.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

Because sometimes U.S. Players want to come home? Want Whataburger instead of bocatas?

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That means his offense is beyond horrible (improved slightly since).

I voted minus 1 my opinion.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

And Omer's was spectacular?

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Do they even vote in Europe? Not sure if they have democracy like we do here. How can people who are not U.S. citizens be allowed to vote?

11. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Ahhhh...I guess this all DOES tie back to us getting a terrific FA....

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

7'2 Wingspan isn't too shabby.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

It's especially known for defense, ask all the US guys that have been there and they'll tell you it's way more physical and also a battle because of the smaller court. No easy points like in NBA regular season games.

14. baubo

baubo Member

The Rockets have probably been in contact with him since last year. He's clearly pegged to be Asik's replacement since we knew we were going to lose him.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>New Rockets center Joey Dorsey said European fans called him the: &quot;Dwight Howard of Europe.&quot; <a href="http://t.co/Efib31dHK1">http://t.co/Efib31dHK1</a></p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/489866392720519169">July 17, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

[rQUOTEr]HOUSTON (FOX 26) - Center Joey Dorsey, who reached a two-year contract agreement with the Houston Rockets earlier this week, will be the backup for the player many fans in Europe compared him to during his three-year stint overseas.

"They call me Dwight Howard in Europe," Dorsey said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. "That's all they call me Dwight Howard of Europe, 'you're Dwight Howard of Europe.'

"Playing behind Dwight is going to be an amazing feeling. He's one of the best defenders in the league. Coming from overseas and playing behind him, getting some pointers, we can be really good together."

Dorsey, who played in 10 games for the Rockets over two seasons (2008-2010), said he was limited both years because he was suffering from plantar fasciitis.

"Exciting feeling," Dorsey said. "When I got the call from (Rockets coach) Kevin McHale and (general manager) Daryl (Morey) overwhelmed with joy. A chance to come back and play where I got traded to, It's an amazing feeling."

Dorsey was drafted by Portland in the second round of the 2012 NBA Draft and traded that night as part of a three-team deal to Houston.

"Now I'm healthy," Dorsey said. "Everyone has seen what I can do when I was healthy over there and playing in Barcelona, one of the toughest leagues other than the NBA. It's an exciting feeling to come back and play in Houston."

Dorsey was named the Best Defender in the Greek League while playing for Olympiacos in 2012.

He believes he has grown a great deal as a player since last playing in the NBA for the Toronto Raptors in 2011.

"So much," Dorsey said. "I think that transition by going overseas and playing, it really helped me out a lot about learning more about the game and my skills.

"I think I can really be a force."

Dorsey plans to bring the Rockets what they will need when he is on the floor in place of Howard.

"My defense, my tenacity on the boards, just toughness," Dorsey said. "That's what we needed last year with Barcelona to help us win the Spanish League Championship.

"I played really good over there and it gave me a chance to come back to the NBA and show everybody what I can do."

Dorsey said he had a number of offers to continue playing in Europe, but the NBA is where he wanted to be.

"I had so many teams overseas offering me a lot of money, but this is my dream, to come back to the NBA and show everyone that I can play here," Dorsey said."

"I went over to Europe to get more playing time, to get a feel for the game. Coming back to the league and being a more experienced player, I'm very excited. I think I can help the team a lot."

And Dorsey returns to the Rockets with a two-year guaranteed contract worth $2 million."

"It's a great feeling for them to give me a guaranteed contract," Dorsey said. "I'm going to bring toughness, rebounding, blocking shots, running up and down the floor dunking on people.

"Joey Dorsey is back, but he's healthy this time."[/rQUOTEr]

16. REEKO_HTOWN

That's not a lie. My cousins in BCN told me that's the first think that came to mind especially with his free throws. :grin:

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I think it's inaccurate because, unlike Dwight, all Dorsey does is run PnR's!

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Worried too much about something that's his strength.....i'm glad that he can make layups. As good as Asik was defensively, he gave points back with his misses.

19. bmd

bmd Member

That's awesome if it was plantar fasciitis that was holding him back. My brother had it and he was hobbling around the field when he played baseball. Everything about his game suffered a lot.

It's impossible to play with and still be good.

Good sign for the Rickets that he will be a lot better this time around.

20. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

is he at chuckwagon level?