1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey is a genius

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by freddyg956, Jul 3, 2015.

1. caneks

caneks Rookie

What are you talking about? Rockets is already not in consideration for Aldridge.

2. caneks

caneks Rookie

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Kobe is a great playmaker too but he is more valuable when he reserves his energy to 1 thing only and that's scoring. Turnover prone and half ass defense should not be focused in setting plays all day.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

oops meant that for Jordnnn.

5. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

Everyone was worried because we hadn't signed anyone. Shortly after I made this thread, he resigned both players. This is genius because he didn't overpay like everyone else is and he's keeping the core.
    He will get a pg, to start just watch. He's just waiting for the market to fire then he'll strike. My guess is collision as he's unhappy and we seem to always deal with the kings, plus they could use a pf.

6. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I'd love to get an inside view of the analytics involved. It didn't take a genius to figure out 3 point shot or lay-up was the way to go. That's the way I've played NBA 2k for years.

7. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

I'm referring to the free agent part not the game. Of course a layup is higher percentage over a midrange, and a 3 gives you an extra point if you're shooting from distance.

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

1st off the turnover prone narrative has got to stop. A player who plays the minutes and handles the ball as much as Harden there is essentially an inevitable level of turnovers. There are extreme cases like CP3 who always have the ball and never turn it over but these are not the norm. Lebron, Westbrook etc, they turn the ball over just like Harden does. And if you bring up the 13 turnover game then I know you don't want to have a serious discussion. It's an outlier, it is not the norm and it's not even close to his average game.

2nd I don't think you are remembering Kobe very well. He was the playmaker for his teams. He was never "just a scorer". He essentially played his entire career with 3 and D point guards like Harden has had with Houston. Hell the majority of his career he was averaging comparable assists per game, assist percentage, turnovers per game and turnover percentage as Harden has with Houston. Kobe was his best when he had HOF big men who he could dump it off into the post and help carry the offensive burden.

Another playmaker will help the team, but he's not going to eat away at too much of Hardens playmaking duties, because there aren't many in the game better at it than Harden. Plain and simple.

9. JD88

JD88 Member

We lost because of injuries.

We had 37 year old Terry guarding Steph.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I'm not going to comment on the thread title, but such an assertion should be made after a couple of months.

We saw how essential being the best team in our division was in advancing in the playoffs last season....and 2 teams in our division just got a whole lot better.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

2 teams? Do you think Memphis got a lot better? SA's starting 5 got better, but their depth went to crap. They will be scary in the playoffs If everyone is healthy, but depth is going to kill them in the regular season with all their old guys.

12. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

He is great at acquiring pieces, however, he hasn't assembled the greatest coaching staff. Also, unable to get the highest played player to improve at FT shooting.

13. cebu

cebu Member

We were very close last year. So it makes sense that he makes sure that key pieces are in tact while are others are rebuilding.

14. TheresTheDagger

The Spurs I'll grant you.

The Mavs? Not sure I agree with you. They have Dirk another year older, Parsons and Matthews coming off surgery, a fantastic defensive center who can't post up, questions at point guard and (so far) a weak bench. None of this translates to "a whole lot better" to me.

Unless of course you mean the Griz or Pelicans who have only mostly locked up their own players which also doesn't mean they've "got a whole lot better".

15. lalala902102001

Morey did a good job adjusting and acquiring pieces during the season last year. Brewer is a key contributor and resigning him is big. However, he has not addressed our biggest issue by far -- we still don't have a good PG. Beverly is serviceable but nowhere near the caliber of the PGs on other elite teams. The NBA is a guard's league today and we need to get better guard play outside Harden. Still lots of work left.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

True, the lots of 3s and inside the paint thing is grade school math.

Would be really cool to see more of Morey's analytics, although we'll never see them. :(

17. verysimplejason

So 13 TOs from Harden was because of Terry's guarding Steph??? :rolleyes: Don't you know what Harden asked for after that night? Tell us if Bev is enough answer to that request...

18. verysimplejason

Looking at Spurs' history, they're the best at getting player depth without going deep into their pockets. They can draft and get underestimated FAs.

19. Exiled

Exiled Member

And teams specially smart one, studied Harden's moves . G.S didn't double or tribble LBJ, but they did with Harden.

20. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

The Spurs have built the team through trades and draft. This is their largest FA acquisition so far. They don't normally dabble into FA for major pieces