1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey has outmaneuvered himself again

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by downbytheriver, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Morey pulled the same trick last season. When he thought D-Mo, a rookie in the D-League, was ready to step into Morris and Patterson's shoes .... turns out D-Mo wasn't even close. Daryl has a habit of overrating his D-league pickups and late draft gems, to the point where he lets them fail continuously until he pulls the plug.

Aaron Brooks ? I think we could have used James Anderson and P-Pat more these past few games.

2. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Every GM, coach, and player is going to make mistakes and fail. If you want a GM who never fails, go watch.... something besides sports. Overall, Morey has done a great job. He certainly doesn't deserve any criticism at this point, even though the Hamilton for Brooks trade is a negative. Like everyone else, though, he will have to continue to perform.

3. scottie brooks

Brooks would not have affected us much. Sure he can bring the points but so can Harden and Lin rarely at times. Brooks would not be able to replace Wolverines defense and tenacity tho so we would still be in the same spot we are now. IMHO.

4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Hamilton fills a bigger need for us, even though he isn't playing for some reason. He routinely gets the least amount of minutes between him and Casspi/Garcia, even though he has been playing much better than them.

5. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Morey the only GM in the NBA who doesn't deserve ANY criticism? Huh:confused:

6. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

He's also capable of producing with consistent minutes. Just as he's done multiple times this season with us and Denver. He's more reliable than Lin by far

7. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

I love Morey but I agree, AB was a gutsy point guard with playoff experience. AB may not be better than Lin or Beverly, a lot of it because size. He's one of those guys that makes a difference in playoff games when you have to go deep in your bench which we will when P-Bev gets in foul trouble which is going to happen.
    Plus he was are best three point shooter off the bench and second to harden in efficiency(No stats on that just eye test). Instant offense and it fit with the team.
    Earlier this year AB would give us a burst of energy with his ability to score. Kind of like P-Bevs defensive lock downs. I thought we had a perfect trio of pg for what is a point guard league.
    Hamilton has size and Cannan has potential but I would of took AB over both for this years playoff run.

8. SachaShakur

SachaShakur Member

How about watching a game ??

9. houtown

houtown Member

Yeah, I didn't understand the Hamilton deal initially when it went down. I thought it was a little bit of an unnecessary move. But maybe that is because i just like Brooks or just don't know much about Hamilton and basketball. Eventually started to warm up to it with the impression that the front office knew what they were doing. Hopefully it works out in the end because hamilton had a good first couple of outings. He just needs to find a rhythm.

10. downbytheriver

Yeah, you get it. But you've obviously watched basketball since before Yao was drafted so know a thing or two the others don't. when Lin was playing pickup ball in ny and scoring against open defenses, i saw it for what it was. Morey bought into the east Asian hype and Harvard story (a 4 yr player no less) and let go of Lowry and dragic before he lucked into harden. Seems be an inverse correlation between getting good grades at Harvard and being smart on the court.

Brooks isn't the only example- he's just the latest one. You have to keep these factors in mind after picking into harden and Howard or you will waste the primes of two title caliber players.

11. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Agreed. Especially on that last comment. I think that's the main problem with a couple fans here. They've given Morey a never ending window to get the right pieces to win a ring. But that's not how the NBA works. You only have a small period to capitalize on being a contender. If you sit back and celebrate getting 2 superstars without making the neccesary moves, your window can close and everything become a failure. Morey needs to realize this

12. poing

poing Member

not sure if this is a joke. we've had dwight howard for less than a year. I don't think there's been anything so far that indicates that the front office intends on basking in the glory of obtaining two big names and just jacking themselves off while patting themselves on the back.

I don't see how allowing the front office time to build around the stars is "a never ending window" when howard just arrived this season. if half a year is a never ending window, then we've all been alive for countless eternities.

13. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

now were blaming morey because he didn't make moves to adjust for an injury that hadn't yet happened?

14. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Are we talking about one trick pony Hamilton? It's a either a shaky 3 or a weak drive for a brick. He doesn't know how to pass once he's on the move so if he puts ball on the floor, anticipate some kind of wild running Hail Mary.

He had a couple fluke games, that is all. AB is more valuable for our team right now.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Cannan is in no way ready and Hamilton isn't getting any PT ( I'm starting to understand why also)

16. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Casspi shouldn't be getting any PT. He sucks and should've never been signed by Morey. Garcia should be getting Casspi's minutes

17. Play07

Play07 Member

nawh we had 3 PGS at the time

not getting a 3rd center is a what I question, even if we were rolling & howard was healthy wouldve been nice to give howard a rest going into playoff and give asik 25-30 mins to get in shape

18. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

He traded a third string point guard (AND we had another one in the D League) for a backup SF.

So we went from 4 point guards and one true Small Forward to 3 point guards and two true Small Forwards.

You criticizers need to put the pipes down

19. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

His only real criticism is not resigning Gogi over a 4th year

20. alethios

alethios Member

We're in season 3 of the Morey/McHale era, with the 1st season being a lockout-shortened season, but still the winning percentage has improved each season:

2011-12 - .515
    2012-13 - .549
    2013-14 - .662

I'd say DM is doing his job when I see a steady rise in wins and winning percentage. In many jobs, metrics help define the continuous improvement goals - these metrics show above all else that this team is improving each year. Don't get caught up in little slips along the way or else you lose sight of your overall success.