1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey has outmaneuvered himself again

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by downbytheriver, Apr 1, 2014.

1. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Um, have you seen Jeremy Lin play lately? Lillard, WB and just about any point guard we face will have a complete field day in the playoffs again Lin. Not only that, but we can count on a few 1-9, 6pts and 6 turnover games from Lin offensively. Would be nice to have AB to atleast hit some 3's or drive the lane. When Bev goes out, we're getting nothing from our PG's.

2. cardpire

cardpire Member

They thought the same thing before Harden and Dwight were here as well.

3. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

Camby and Smith went down for the season. What was he gonna do, sign another big while actively trying to get rid of Asik and not being able to?

Also, Asik has missed 33 games this season. Our record was 22-11. Howard has missed 5 and we're 3-2 there.
    I think you meant "3 of our 5 starters miss an away game against the hottest team in the eastern conference and you can count that as a L, narrowly."

4. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Bingo! The game will change in the playoffs.

5. archinkent

archinkent Member

This.

Without Bev there is at least a serviceable backup in Canaan. No Parsons and we're screwed.

6. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Cannan has barely played meaningful minutes and you guys are already calling him a bust? Saying trading Aaron for Hamilton was a "humdinger" of a bad trade. Lol at you guys. Shortsighted as always. And because Morey cant predict the future it means its a bad trade? lol you guys never cease to amaze me.

7. basketballholic

I followed the team when we drafted AB and advocated we start him over Rafer out of training camp. That's how much I thought of his game at that time and how much I hated Rafer's game. But I don't view players in terms of what they were 5 or 6 years ago. I view their whole body of work including what they are currently doing.

Have you watched Brooks since he was traded from here to Denver? Well, I have. He's the same guy he's been for the last several years. He can get hot and knock down some crazy shots. He's small and can dribble through cracks. He doesn't have good floor vision to see open teammates. He's really not a distributor except when he runs out of scoring moves. He's a shoot first point guard. And his defense sucks just like it did when he was here at the beginning of the season and when we traded for him last year. He stands around and ball watches and goes for steals and gets burned repeatedly and if the opponent happens to iso him up, he's toast. He's the same player he was when he was with us earlier in the season.

8. basketballholic

You have a right to your opinion. In mine, trading Brooks did not have a single thing to do with us losing the game last night and won't have any negative effect on how far we go in the playoffs. Brooks was a 3rd string point guard here. He would have gotten Canaan's minutes last night, not Lin's.

9. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Cannon has only played in two games that weren't garbage time minutes. He has showed rookie mistakes but his is a rookie after all. He showed some pretty good quickness and driving to the lane, and we all know the kid can shoot. He might not set the world on fire but he didn't look too bad to me considering it was his first couple games of meaningful minutes in high pressure games.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Still fine with the trade. I like Brooks, but his skillset is actually more duplicative of Lin's than Beverley's. Brooks wouldn't compensate for the perimeter defense we lost with Bev out. He brings playmaking and 3-point shooting that we already have. That's why he was 3rd string to begin with.

11. makio9

makio9 Member

You are trying to attempt tp pur Morey down because of an injury that just happened hat favors Brooks? laughable.

I will say this: It took me about 5 games of using this team on NBA 2K12 before I realized they aren't winning a championship.

Salaries were a mess and trading was hard but I traded Dwight + Greg Smith + Lin + pick for Rondo + Bass + Kelly Olynyk and the Rockets are way better.

Celtics would be stupid not to accept that trade. It should go through in real life if Rockets wanted it!

Rondo + Harden + Parsons + Jones + Asik
    Beverly + T-Mac + Hamilton + Bass + Olynyk

2014 Champions

12. makio9

makio9 Member

Ugh I need to edit my post.

***You are trying to attempt to put Morey down because of an injury that just happened that favors Brooks? laughable.

I will say this: It took me about 5 games of using this team on NBA 2K14 before I realized they aren't winning a championship.***

13. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

[​IMG]

14. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

You also have a right to your opinion, no disrespect. But all those bricks thrown up by Caanan and Lin last night, could've easily been points by Brooks. Yes he was a 3rd string PG here, but with how bad Lin's been he would've been bumped to 2nd string and most likely producing (like he's currently doing in Denver:rolleyes:). Trading Brooks just solidified Lin getting more minutes in the postseason, which I think was a terrible gamble by Morey considering Lin's habit of disappearing under pressure.

15. basketballholic

Yes but it's one game. Brooks just threw up a 1 for 8 game against OKC 9 days ago. He's had multiple 1 for 8 games this season.

16. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

Honestly, I don't think Morey made a mistake by making this trade and I've always liked Brooks. Hamilton has been a huge addition, at least in my opinion, just by getting Casspi and Garcia off the floor.

My question is however, is Hamiltion >> Covington? I know that Covington is a rookie and has no real NBA experience, but i believe we could have started giving him minutes around the all star break and he maybe could have provided at least the production that Hamilton is giving us. What exactly are the knocks on Covington that are keeping the Rockets from using him?

17. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Could be, but I would wager Asik will command a very pretty penny after last night come the offseason. if he goes public saying he doesn't want to be traded any more, he could net us even more. Could be a situation where someone takes Lin and gives us an all star just to get Asik.

18. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

And not defending him (I have no opinion on your post) but he cannot predict injuries. And three starting caliber point guards is a luxury we couldn't afford when we were lacking wing defense and perimeter shooting. What if we had traded Omer and Parsons for Rondo the had to roll out DMo as our starter when Dwight got hurt. Would you say that was Morey's fault too?

19. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

Tell me about it!

20. jdhu

jdhu Member

I think Hamilton has been a bright spot. Casspi and Garcia lately have not contributed much at all.