1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey, go for Javale McGee!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheGreat, Jan 1, 2011.

1. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

His potential, in real terms, is Chris 'Birdman' Andersen. If he can dedicate himself to rebounding and defense, he might pose as useful, but thats a big if...

2. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Milicic wouldnt be bad, but I dont think he's attainable. If you've heard David Kahn speak, he's very high on Darko and dont think he'd trade him unless he felt he was getting an adequate return. I havent really seen much of the others that you mentioned so I cant say much.

Another realistic option would be DeSagana Diop. He's a known quantity, so there's not much potential or room for growth, but he's solid defensively, is a decent rebounder, and hustles. He rarely sees the court with Charlotte right now and they're pretty active when it comes to making trades.

3. Houston_Rockets

First. let me say that I think that DM is not going after an athletic young Center (unfortunately), IMO he is going after a 24-30y range Center, with mobility, but with the b-ball IQ and skill to do what Hayes/Brad does on our read and react system, they wan´t big man with passing skills, but with the ability to protect the rim.

Now talking specifically about young athletic Centers, IMO, DeAndre Jordan will be a better player then McGee. People will rightly say that McGee is going to dominate the rebounding and block stats in the next few years, this is probably right, but, if I ask him to guard one-on-one D.Howard, or for example, Pau gasol, I see him getting dominated for different reasons. He doesn´t have the strength to keep dwight out of the paint, he would get pushed around like Jordan Hill when he plays Center. I think Hill, McGee and Whiteside, are guys that don´t have the body type to gain pure muscle, they don´t have the frame to be big strong dudes, like Anthony Randolph (just remembered). And Pau would toy with McGee uncontrolled desire to block every single shot that goes up, he would pump fake him like crazy.

I see a DeAndre Jordan that keeps improving, I remember this guy last year, when I saw him, I just said that he had the physical tools, but he was just as raw as you can get, today I see a very limited offensive role in his team (normal when you have Griffin and Gordan), he just basically dunks, and on the defense end of the floor, he is just dominant at times man. I think he is strong enough to keep Howard out of the paint, and he is less "pump fakeable" then McGee on D.

And a big plus, I think it would take far less to trade for DeAdre then McGee (not because of skill, but because one is far more talked about), but this is a noob talking from the outside, you never know what GMs think

PeAcE

4. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

So we should only draft or trade for nonathletic players w/ developed skillsets? I am a Wizard season ticket holder -- so I know they have a bad record for MANY more reasons than Javale Mcgee. Try terrible chemistry w/ the cancerous Gilbert Arenas as their veteran leader up until now; try the team is very very young; try John Wall being injured most of the year; try Josh Howard being injured most of the year; try Andre Blatche is stromile dumb; try Flip Saunders has had trouble creating rotations (just like Adelman during the first month w/ Yao - 24 min) due to the John Wall/Gilbert Arenas/ Kirk Hinrich/ Nick Young dynamic. Javale McGee is billed as the foundation here in DC along w/ Wall. All I suggested was the ONLY way to get such a bright prospect (currently 2nd best shotblocker in the entire NBA at 22 years old) is to eat a bad contract. The only bad contract they have is Rashard Lewis. The same guy who had Morey at his doorstep July 1 at midnight the year Rashard signed that deal. If we are going to trade Yao's contract -- who/what do you think we will get for it...another big (potentially bad) contract. It's just a matter of whose.

5. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Sigh. Read the entire quote in context....I mentioned a number of reasons he's not worth trading for right now:

-perceived value > real value. Not uncommon for him to score less than 10 points in a game. People vying for him are affected by his highlight reel more than what he actually brings to the team (or can bring to this one)

-defensively he's long been a crutch for the Wizards. Last season he was one of the worst defensive big men in the league, and although he's been better this season, its still a part of his game that needs a lot of work.

-offensively his game is put backs and pick and rolls. Cant pull up, take his man off the dribble, or post.

-his entire game relies on athleticism...in that, if he didnt have it, he'd be rendered useless (no jump shot, post up, etc.). His frame is frail. These are all reasons to be cautious.

Look, I may be wrong on McGee, and in two to three seasons he might turn out to be a really good big man, I'll concede that. But he's yet to play well on a consistent basis and considering the asking price we're talking about, why would you trade any of our guys for him? (particularly guys like JHill, PatPat, etc.)

Anyways, this whole discussion is useless as the Wizards recently said that although they're shopping Blache, they're not willing to trade McGee.....

6. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

I hear you man. The only problem w/ your critiques of Mcgee is that the last center that fit your litmus test was Hall of Famer Hakeem Olajuwan. Mcgee is 22 years old and will improve. He has improved every year. I would trade Hill for him because I believe in our system we can take McGee's game, strength and IQ up another level like we did for Hill. My assessments are not made on Youtube highlights. I go to most Wizards home games. Even looking at draftnet & draft express for next years draft, there are no prospects like McGee. We should have drafted Deandre instead of Dorsey and possibly Larry Sanders instead of PatPat. If management prefers PatPat over Hill we need to trade Hill for a real center.

7. Happii

Happii Member

Agreed. In the end it would be the battle of Hill vs PPat for the roster spot. It was like when we traded Landry, it was Scola vs Landry and Morey believed that Scola could provide more for us.

Also if McGee were to be traded to this team his skillset at the post must improve. From what Yao provided to us at the post, McGee must do also but has some help from Kmart, Scola and Brooks/Lowry to help him lighten the load.

8. mrjuandiego1988

he just seems dumber than jhill plus that bag of rocks put together! :grin:

9. Happii

Happii Member

Seriously, I agree. David Kahn has some man-crush on Darko Milicic right now and probably would not trade him. Milicic would provide the Rockets with a shot blocking presence in the paint that we desire at the moment.

10. TheTruth

TheTruth Contributing Member

I'll always remember Yao's "Baptism" of McGee his rookie year.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dR_RI9cB4Mc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dR_RI9cB4Mc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Let's trade for Melo too. We can have the most talented inside-outside duo in the league that don't always put out 100%.

12. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Those were the days...