1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey, go for Javale McGee!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheGreat, Jan 1, 2011.

1. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I'd like to have him, but I'd cross my fingers on him growing up. And, I'd rather have Cousins, FWIW.

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Exactly, if you are looking for a player without flaws you will never find one.

That being said, why on earth would Washington give up someone like McGee?

Cheap young talented big men are not something you give away, it's what you build around.

3. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

^THIS^ Wish I could give you some REP. Every player in the league has flaws. McGee's basketball IQ is no worse than Jordan Hill's. His upside is FAR higher than Hill's.

4. McWai

McWai Member

i dont want neither mcgee nor cousins, b/c mcgee's bball IQ is low and cousins has some attitude problems.

i rather give up Brooks and Jeffries for OJ Mayo and Hasheem Thabeet ;)

5. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

McGee has so much promise the only way to get him may be to eat a terrible contract -- ie Rashard Lewis. $20,514,000; $22,152,000; $23,790,000. Then, do a separate trade w/ the Wiz for Mcgee like below...

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2gyskqz

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2aj7sxd

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nikola Pekovic from the Wolves, or Marcin Gortat from the Suns.

Rick Adelman is looking for a smart big that can play the high post and protect the rim on defense.

An experienced physical Euro big is the most likely scenario, IMO...

McGee, Hibbert, Lopez, Cousins etc, all have one thing in common, they are NOT available.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Wow so you take the worst contract in the league and give them Jordan Hill and C-bud? That's the kind of trade you do for Blake Griffin, not Javale Mcgee.

8. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This.

However, posters from Utopia would disagree with you.

9. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

I'm not saying I'd necessarily do that deal. I was saying that may be what it will take to aquire a 22 year old (Camby/Chandler clone) 7-0 center w/ a 7-6 wingspan that is already the 2nd best shotblocker in the entire NBA. McGee won't come cheap. On top of the blocks McGee is a great rebounder.

10. I♥TheRockets

this^

11. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I posted this in another thread, but since there's an entire thread dedicated to McGee, I'll say it again.

Javale McGee has a much higher perceived value than real value. His psuedo-stardom is a product of highlight reels more than anything else.

I live in the DC Area and watch him play regularly. He's a terrible defender, and by terrible, I mean to say that he might be one of the worst defensive bigs in the league. He jumps on every fake without fail, cant play the post, and makes mediocre big men look like superstars. Because he always goes for the block, he makes a lot of gambles which result in him being out of position for rebounds and points near the basket.

Offensively, he has almost no skillset to rely on beyond getting put backs and drives to the basket. His jump shot is extremely weak; his dribble is decent enough for a big man, but beyond fast breaks, he rarely takes people off the dribble.

In short, he's terrible defensively and a liability offensively. He relies too heavily on his athleticism and has a frail frame, which could relegate him to a career backup in the event that he ever suffers an injury....something that happens pretty regularly to athletic big men in the NBA.

1 person likes this.
  12. srrono

srrono Member

Well he isnt a starter on our squad but even with the liabilities you speak of the thing i notice is hustle on everything I think with the coaching staff we have positioning can be cleaned up he plays with recklace abandon if he could use his skillset with in a team defensive scheme he would be well worth the 12th spot on the bench as a project.

13. Happii

Happii Member

But those aspects are something that you can improve upon. Seeing the fact that this is his 3 year as a pro. From what I see his potential to become a great center is high and his athletic ability just adds to it.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Pekovic was the guy who decided to relace his shoes instead of get back on defense against us, thus surrendering an easy shot with his team playing 4 against 5?

Doesn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the shed.

15. afnorth123

afnorth123 Member

I'm glad nobody on this forum is the GM....We'd have a roster of shane battiers and unrealized potential projects.

16. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

No matter how unpolished he is he brings 2 things that rox need. Shot blocking and rebound. And its not like RA will play him 40 mins a game. Not when you have Hayes, Hill and Miller all spoting minutes.

17. Showtizzle2642

If Blatche is available i'd rather him than McGee

18. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Thank god Morey doesnt listen to clutchfans member's opinions when it comes to decision making.

19. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Oklahoma and Minnesota each have an excess of young centers. IMO B.J. Mullens is a better prospect than Cole Aldrich and Darko Milicic is a better fit for us than Nikola Pecovic or Kosta Koufas, although I would settle for Koufas because of his age and contract relative to his ability.

Granted, I would love to see us acquire Dwight Howard or Marc Gasol, etc., but I am trying to look at attainable centers who can grow into the role. There was a list of all the first string centers, but none of them are really acquirable without sacrificing a major piece of our future.

Darko is on a long, manageable contract and has skills if not focus. Matched with Adelman's coaching ability, he would be the best fit ultimately, but Koufas, Mullens or Kyrylo Fesenko (a free agent next summer) could thrive under Adelman.

BTW, Milicic at 25 is the oldest of all the prospects I mentioned.

20. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I agree.....he would be well worth the 12th spot on the bench as a project, or maybe the star player of the Vipers. But be little realistic. Do you honestly think the Wizards will trade a starter for our trash? How do we end up getting McGee? One poster suggested eating Rashard Lewis's contract- arguably the single worst contract in the NBA so that we can get McGee, a potential 12th spot on our bench.

For those who keep claiming potential, the things you mention rarely ever get built on. Athleticism wanes far quicker than we'd like to think, and like I said, if he ever gets hurt, his career will be over as he has no skillset to compensate for a loss of athleticism. Not only do I think McGee's not worth trading for, I wouldnt even want him as a free agent. The Wizards are a terrible team for a reason, and McGee is one of the biggest.