1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey given permission to spend into the luxury tax!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealAllpro, May 12, 2019.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I can see him giving Morey just one or two years, if it does not work out, go back to luxury savings.

I could have told y'all NOT to eat at Landry's, it is not worth it.

2. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Keep saying this year in and year out. This is about the Money. A lot of people complain a lot about Morey. Yes, I agree, he's changed how the game is played and how teams are managed. WIth that said, I believe teams that go into Luxury tax are are given preferential treatment because they have to make that Money back. I'm certain the Warriors will get their 3-peat. I hope it's the Rockets going forward. P.S. Tillman ain't broke. Rich people don't show their true assets on paper let alone Clutchfans.

RyanB likes this.
  3. bj3175

bj3175 Member

What we need is Kawhi and Anthony Davis

4. jowman

jowman Member

How are these teams mired in mediocrity? 3 out of 4 are in the conference finals.

jboslett and RyanB like this.
  5. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

You conveniently left off the next part of my sentence.

6. JW86

JW86 Member

Tilman should keep a watch on his wallet, he was basically forced to pay Harden, CP3 and Capela that money. I actually hope he doesn't buy into the way we've played, building a roster with all minimum guys who are expected to outplay their contracts. That would be smart and I wouldn't pay a dime of luxury tax for this group. I'd wait till CP3 is gone before even considering it.

7. izeroi

izeroi Member

Don't believe this for a second. We're just going to end up with scrubs (Melo, MCW, ect.) like we did at the beginning of this year.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Harden, Tucker and Rivers.

Everyone else can go.

smp, mikol13 and RyanB like this.
  9. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

I believe it. With the way Paul and Capela played im not sure it matters much but they was just worried about the repeat tax and now that's out of the way. If they end up losing Durant which I think he stays, teams will have shortened the talent gap. At least we didn't throw in the towel like a lot of teams but its still frustrating losing to them year after year.

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I think this is because the 3 year lux tax penalty clock reset correct? And it reset because we were under this year. If correct that makes this year a win in my book because I'd rather have the 3 year reset after the Warriors break up, Lebron is older, Kawhi leaving, Bucks losing key FAs, etc... On paper right now, looks like a better championship window than this year.

Rashmon likes this.
  11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I do recall the big words last season about not worrying about the luxury tax. Then discarding all the YMCA+ players acquired over the summer so that we could avoid the repeater tax (and then downplaying that to the media).

Just spend the money, Hakuna Fertitta. "Do......or do not. There is no try." Or rather, "There is no bul****t."

Oh, and p.s............more people might actually eat at Landry's, even pay an extra buck or two, if the food wasn't glorified Red Lobster. At least Red Lobster has the cheesy bread (if nothing else).

12. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

if they truly do overspend this year, it'll do a lot to keep us fans believing again. i can totally understand not wanting to go over the tax this year, when you have to face the superteam anyways. its better to wait till KD leaves, it makes business sense, cuz the west should be wide open. I wouldn't want to pay the tax and still have the same results. they made the right decision not paying ariza 15 mill. that was unreasonable.

this year they absolutely have to make a move wtih EG becoming an expiring.

CC's contract is still a good contract. He only plays bad against this one team, but then teams in the east wouldn't have to worry about them till the finals anyways. He's still better than a lot of centers out there, and i believe morey can get good return on him.

morey made the right decision on House too. he's not the answer at the 3.

it should be an interesting summer.

13. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Trade Gordon, Nene and a first for Butler.

Sign Rivers with the MLE.

See if Shump, Faried, Green and House will take the minimum.

Hope Hartenstein can play back up 5.

Try to sign a back up PF buyout during the season.

That would be my plan.

14. opticon

opticon Member

The fact that Portland, the Warriors and the Raptors are over the cap and in the conference finals can't be ignored. Milwaukee will join that group as well once Middleton and Bledsoe get payed.

smp and hakeem94 like this.
  15. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i think we have to do that trade for butler if we could, but i still don't think we could beat the warriors with him. We can't play CC against the warrirors.....we have foundational problems. Butler is only one of two pieces we need.

16. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Melo should never be brought up. Consider him as non-NBA player.

17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I would hope Morey is able to go into luxury tax range next season. I don't see how the Rockets can remain competitive if he doesn't. There ain't much salary we can dump. Shumpert will be allowed to walk, I'm sure. Nene's contract can be traded. But that's about it. We need to spend money to either resign or replace Rivers, House, and Faried. And even then, that's the equivalent of the roster that just came up short against the Warriors.

It's put up or shut up time for Tillman. Next year really may be it for this core as Harden will be 30, CP3 and Tucker will turn 35 next May, and EG will turn 31 in December.

s3ts likes this.
  18. jowman

jowman Member

Celtics and thunder are not in a worse boat than we are. Westbrook and Adams don’t have ideal contracts but they are still much better than Paul and capelas. Celtics have a bunch of young talent on cheap contracts as well as more and better picks than us, they’ll be fine.They aren’t paying 40m a year to a declining PG or 18m to a useless lump at C. The other 3 teams by being in the playoffs are 3 of the 4 best teams in the league. The winners of the past few championships have all gone over the lux tax line. Make it harder to win when you place more limitations around roster building than other teams.

PolarBear likes this.
  19. bmelo

bmelo Member

With our roster another couple milions scrub wont make a difference

20. jcf

jcf Member

Hey -- Artest and Barkley were great.