1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey:FIRST HUGE MISTAKE!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketman2000, Feb 18, 2010.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

since knee jerk threads started ruining the GARM. I'm working towards elite status. :grin:

2. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

This is not about Morey trying to dump Morey; this is about 1) selling high and 2) making what he thought was the best deal.

3. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

All good points, I hope you are right. I PRAY that you are right.

4. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

"However, league sources told FOX 26 this trade could grow to a much larger deal that could move McGrady to the New York Knicks as part of a three-team trade.

If that is the case Dorsey would be moved to the Knicks and the Rockets would get forward Jordan Hill from New York."

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nba/100218-rockets-trade-tracy-mcgrady

5. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

first big mistake was mishandling the jvg situation.

second was lowballing landry (debatable since they managed to sign him cheap).

third was drafting dorsey.

fourth was taking a long time before signing deke last season since yao had to play longer mins and probably resulting in his foot injury.

fifth was david andersen.

sixth was mishandling the tmac situation. if he just let the guy play and showcased him, the rockets would have gotten better offers.

so this is his seventh. giving up a large expiring asset and a borderline 6th man awardee for k.mart and some expirings. still, i consider this a better trade than whatever NY and CHI offered.

DM is so keen on always making the perfect moves: high reward, low risk moves that he often forgets to make the right/smart moves.

6. Rocketman2000

IF, and only IF that happends in the next few hours, yes I will be eating crow! :)

7. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

Hope so, but that Yahoo article made it seem that only the Knicks ans Kings would swap players.

8. burnnotice

burnnotice Rookie

I love how every year when a big trade like this goes down that you have this kind of talk. People just don't understand that you have to give up something to get something.

Most trades are at best a little lopsided, but really with Morey and Walsh, it was a pretty stupid deal to begin with. Walsh was just trying to unload Jeffries and Morey was trying to play hardball and get as many draft picks as he could. The thing I found amusing was that Morey wanted the 2012 pick to be unprotected and Walsh refused. With all the cap space they clear, if they don't get 2 marquee names and those picks are actually lottery picks, then Walsh should be looking for a new job anyway.

The Knicks are clearly going to get Lebron and those picks would be late first rounders, good job Morey. I never understood why we never heard David Lee mentioned. Especially after Morey gave up Landry for Martin. McGrady/Landry for David Lee, Larry Hughes, and Jeffries. Let NY keep those picks, they are worthless anyway. I would have found a way to get Nate Robinson in there as well.

9. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

It ended up improving the team

He let the market determine his value.

Jury is still out. It did not harm the team in any way.

Was that his choice?

Once again, did not hurt the team. They needed a big, and he was the only available. He has had some decent showings.

TMac playing hurts the team. Maybe send him to the D-League to showcase him but would TMac go for that? He handled the situation perfectly. It was what it was.

Yeah I don't like it but jury is still out. Hopefully KMart can somehow stay healthy.

10. Rocketman2000

That's cool then we can call these members "elitist" !! :)

11. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

you cant trade a guy twice in one day.........there's no way the knicks make that deal with the kings.......if it's a 3 way deal, the terms have already pretty much been outlined

12. Rocketman2000

Thanks for the update, but forget Hill, I want the picks!!

13. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Look, until Morey shapes a team that wins a championship, you can't automatically praise everything he does. He's damn close to that stage, though. I remember all of the b****ing about Aaron Brooks and Carl Landry. People thought he was an idiot when he traded for Bobby Jackson, too. There was even a pretty strong contingent of whining when one of the all-time BBS whipping boys, Rafer Alston, was traded. We should at least see what happens through the trade deadline and see where we are after the smoke clears.

14. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

15. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

i hope we do get hill. i play him over hilton armstrong at least. kenny thomas can bang on the floor if we decide to keep him.

16. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

because the knicks weren't giving up david lee this year. point blank.

17. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

we really cant be to sure about that. rockets was a top 5 defensive team when he was here.who's to know how things wouldve turned out? and im sure whatever happened, jvg was on the way out. i think DM back then was so high on adelman. but it was still a mistake on how DM handled it. couldve gone a lot smoother if DM waited a while.

like i said, i agree that this is debatable since they signed him cheap. downside is players know that DM will screw them over contract negotiations. it shows that DM doesnt have loyalty to his players.

i think it's been enough time to see that dorsey isnt gonna get better. and drafting him was a mistake. he was supposed to be our insurance so we can let landry walk or trade him.

yep. definitely was. dm was lowballing deke. he signed him late in the season so he couldsave a bit.

i think there are a few good bigs out there, but they were looking for a big that has range. it was a low risk move but it still ate into the rockets cap space.

i dont see how tmac playing can hurt the team. if he had played him early and he played well, they could have a trade as early as december instead of now which put them against the clock to make a trade. not playing him ended with being offered bad trades.

18. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

You've got to be kidding me.

Let's take a look at the resume of another random GM, maybe that of the World Champion Los Angeles Lakers?

Mitch Kupchak:

Traded Shaq for Odom, Grant and Butler.

Turned Butler into Kwame Brown.

Drafted Brian Cook, Sasha Vujacic and Jordan Farmar, gave the first two big money extensions, while letting Ronny Turiaf go. Also gave Devean George a big money extension after NOT picking up his 4th year option on his rookie contract!

Signed Slava Medvedenko and gave Screamin' A Smith a job.

Signed Vladimir Radmanovic.

Drafts Andrew Bynum over Danny Granger, along with Javaris Crittenton over Rudy Fernandez and Aaron Brooks.

Would have traded Kobe Bryant to the Bulls for Luol Deng and Tyrus Thomas, but Kobe nixed the deal.

Somehow, every one of these moves worked out eventually. But man, that's a terrible list of moves if you don't know the final product.

Still want to think that Morey's mistakes are bad?

19. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I bet you this is a Rick Adelman trade because he wants Martin.

20. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

The good news is we still have all our BULLDOGS:
    1. Lowry
    2. Battier
    3. Scola