1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Morey faints] Parsons signs with Dan Fegan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, May 20, 2013.

1. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I'm not disputing the general line of reasoning. I understand, as I mentioned, the instances where it COULD make sense including decling his option in order to offer him a contract extension as an example, but that would be worked on internally. I have little patience for the general poster opining on how poor Parsons is underpaid and don't we all feel bad for him.

The 4th-year option was a calculated risk Morey took on a 2nd rounder. Market dynamics will dictate alternative outcomes, sure, but an organization should be able to benefit from their calculated risks as much as they are burned by bad outcomes such as overpaying and underperforming player. I'm sure the capologists may think thats the Rockets are better off if he is an RFA but there are also scenarios where the Rockets hold on to him for 4 years, maintain cap space, and work out a long-term deal while building a contender--without being hampered by max contracts/bloated contracts or what not. (like Orlando before, NY, 76ers before)

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Clutch hit it on the head. Dwight's new contract comes before Chandler's.

This is a good thing. DM will have a little bit of leverage with Fegan/Dwight. DM can promise a large deal for Chandler if Dwight is here. And honestly, Chandler does deserve a large contract.

3. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

Didn't Fegan force Martin out of Sacramento to come play for Houston? Why do people say he hates Houston/Morey? All I see is Parsons trying to get the biggest possible agent to help him with endorsements...

Fegan's done well with Wall/Humphries... I guess Kim Karadashin helped Humphries more than Fegan.

Good luck Parsons hope u get a lot of acting gigs.

4. bgrice

bgrice Member

understood and agreed. just refuse to believe that he leaves houston and we get nothing to show for it

5. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

If Parsons leaves one day (and I think he will because I don't see him like the "one team" type of guy, he's love LA or NY), then we'll be fine.

The Rockets where fine way before Parsons and they'll be fine way after.

And under Morey you can be sure that he'll get something in return, heck when you see what he flipped McGrady for!

Hopefully he stays long-term, but I wouldn't lose my sleep on it.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Kevin Martin was traded to Houston. Had his agent been involved in getting him to Houston, everyone wouldn't have been so shocked that February afternoon when the trade was announced.

At the end of the day, Fegan is an agent... he's a salesperson selling his product to potential customers. Those customers are NBA owners, and teams. Its in Fegan and every other agent's best interest to always keep potential and current customers happy.... not necessarily the other way around.

If Morey and Fegan got into it earlier with the Howard from Orlando deal, it was just business at the time, and I can guarantee you that they will make their relationship work if there is money to be made on both ends..... which now there is.

7. haydenfisher342

I agree. I would like to know what his market value is before the free agency hits. getting 1 year and maybe letting him walk, or maybe losing 1 year, but gaining 3+ years in return for Market value is a must. 10 mil a year, I would pay that and its mos definitely going to hit the Lux tax, I would pay that too for CP.

8. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

Kevin Martin was not happy and and he signed with Fegan to get him out. Martin was getting blamed for not be able to play with Tyreke or something.
    People were surprised because of how little rockets gave up and there were no leaks.
    But it was inevitable Martin was getting traded from Sacramento.
    Fegan is one of the reason why I thought Cousins would be a Rocket, once all that trouble started happening with Cousins there he signed with Fegan... Most likely to get him out.

Parsons unlike Dwight, Cousins, Martin appears happy where he is.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

All this talk of Parsons & Dwight....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/arankin11">arankin11</a>: Don't think one thing has anything to do with the other.</p>&mdash; Jarrod N Rudolph (@JRudolphSports) <a href="https://twitter.com/JRudolphSports/status/336578001259077632">May 20, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

^^ That ^^

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Not directly. I'm sure Parsons chose Fegan because he's a top agent and he wants a rich contract. Fegan loves getting Parsons because he's one of the league's better young talents.

That said, it's pretty clear that Parsons has a much better shot at scoring a big deal in July 2014 if Dwight signs with the Rockets this summer. That gives Fegan at least some financial incentive to have Dwight in Houston. Does it outweigh everything else, is it why Fegan/Parsons picked each other? Nope. But if you take the analysis to the next level, there's certainly some potential benefit.

(I'll also point out that as the mouthpiece of Dwight's agency, guys like Rudolph/Kennedy are never going to imply anything that makes Fegan look greedy. If Rudolph paints Fegan as working for his own best interest, he'd be cut off.)

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

For those asking about the "Poison Pill Clause". The media has gotten this wrong. This is the Gilbert Arenas Rule. This rule has existed since 2005. Morey is the first GM to exploit it with Lin and Asik. The "poison pill" clause the Larry Coon discusses in the new cba is completely different to how Morley signed Lin and Asik

The Gilbert arenas rule just makes sure 2nd round picks don't totally get screwed on their second contract. It still gives the home team the advantage

So the Gilbert Arenas ensures we only have to pay Parson MLE against our cap in his first two years of signing. But it benefits him because he can later get balloon payments.

But make no mistake, when you want to keep a player and keep your salary cap down, restricted free agency is always better than unrestricted.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

This is an entirely different situation. It has nothing to do with Dwight. Fegan will try to get the max possible for Chandler. It all depends on Chandler's future progress.

13. joe101

joe101 Member

Why wait until 2015 if you can renegotiate and up you pay in 2014? Either way, his next contract will be based on 0-6 year CBA scale anyway so it's not like a FA contract pays him more. And if the intention is to wait for FA, why would he sign with Fegan now? I think they are smart to renegotiate as soon as allowed. If Houston can't offer anywhere close to what Fegan thinks he can get when 2015 rolls around, then wait for the current contract to expire and open the bidding war. What the rockets can offer will largely depend on what will transpire this off season in the DH sweepstake.

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Is there any rule that says Fegan and the Rockets can't negotiate in good faith and basically have CP25s new contract ironed out and agreed upon before the Rockets ever release him to restricted free agency?

15. heypartner

Yes. It's called Tampering. Morey cannot talk to any employee of another team (to include coaches and cheerleaders) or their agents to persuade them to leave their employer. But come July 1st at 12:01am, he can talk to free agents

As an example, Morey cannot call Kyrie Irving or his agent, but he can call you and/or your agent

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The famous Carlos Boozer situation?

17. joe101

joe101 Member

It's also called collusion between CP3's party and the Rockets to screw over the Clippers.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He's referring to CP25, not CP3. No tampering, if he's on the Rockets, but it makes no sense for the agent to agree to that, really.

19. heypartner

This is not allowed. You cannot negotiate a free agency contract prior to July 1st for any player whether yours or not

You can negotiate extensions within their allowed time frame and deeadlines, but this doesn't apply to Parsons nor crash5179's question

bottomline: Morey cannot talk to Fegan about a new contract with parsons

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Oh no! The dreamy boy has gone to the dark side.

[​IMG]