1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Morey faints] Parsons signs with Dan Fegan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, May 20, 2013.

1. Fighton

Fighton Member

my bad... thought it would be 2014 when he becomes a restricted FA, not 2015. if that's the case then i agree with you.

2. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I think Parsons will get around $10 million per season. Which is why I don't mind trading Asik and Parsons for Josh Smith if we land Dwight. He would be cheaper and he brings something this team doesn't have, a mobile defender who can guard most players anywhere on the court.

3. Sanity2disChaos

Parsons was paid well for his first contract considering his situation .....I am still not convinced yet that he will be a STAR but instead a very very consistent player at the 3 for us. He may be a top 10 SF but when you look at who is in that group (i.e. Lebron,Durant,Paul G) you can say its a very uneven group. He is good but IMO not as consistent as he should be, especially with all the bromance going on around here it almost seems like he is untouchable!!!!That is stupid crazy!!Battier was considered a very very good player and I think Parsons is along those lines.He deserves a raise but nothing that screams Star,at least not until he improves on many levels.....

Thank you and that is all..........

Howard to Houston is in full force I see!!Parsons will do his on recruiting I am sure.....

4. pnr

pnr Member

He does become a restricted FA in 2014, but that's only if Morey decides to decline his option for the 4th year on his contract. He will be unrestricted in 2015

5. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

That's why Parsons went to LA. To meet with Fegan.

6. bgrice

bgrice Member

lol parsons would never command a max deal and morey wouldnt just let him walk. relax people, chandler is here to stay and if he does leave in a year or two we wouldnt be losing him without getting something of value in return

7. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Im not worried at all. The priority atm is getting dwight, anything else just a small bonus.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

He would, but the Rockets would have to decline the team option for it to happen, and there's just no reason for the Rockets to do that unless a second All-Star is already here. BimaThug has a great analysis of the pros and cons in points 4 and 5:

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/3681/chandler-parsons-contract-take-two/

He'd be unrestricted in 2015.

9. Fighton

Fighton Member

i thought the reason it worked is because the last year of the contract is so big that it would've busted their caps, whereas houston could average out the contract over a three year period and take a hit of 8, 8, 8 against the cap rather than 5, 5, 15. the cap hit for the original team would've been 15mil in the last year of their contracts.

the knicks openly said they would match houston's offer when the first numbers were leaked. in total, the first numbers weren't that different from the actual signed contract - the only difference was the 3rd year $$ amount.

10. arjun

arjun Member

josh smith wants the max..he would only be a LITTLE bit cheaper..yet we'd be losing two starters for 1..who is not that much of an upgrade over either.

11. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

His playoff numbers were excellent. He does everything on the court, and he plays defense. In the new CBA, he will command what Tayshaun Prince made.

2006-07 Detroit Pistons NBA $7,851,240
    2007-08 Detroit Pistons NBA $8,675,620
    2008-09 Detroit Pistons NBA $9,500,000
    2009-10 Detroit Pistons NBA $10,324,380
    2010-11 Detroit Pistons NBA $11,148,760

Prince stats: http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/1724/tayshaun-prince
    Parsons stats: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/chandler_parsons/

Chandler had a 48.6 FG% while averaging over five three point attempts per game. If he just produces at the same rate next season then I expect him to get a similar contract to Tayshaun Prince.

He is an upgrade over both. Take off your homer glasses. What he does on defense, not many can do. I think losing Asik is a big deal, unless we sign Howard to replace him. Parsons is a guy you don't want to pay up for because I'm sure Morey can find someone who can replace his stats.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This thread is exploding.

Carl Herrera,

Imagine the uproar if Thomas Robinson signs with Fegan

1 person likes this.
  13. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Ok so I do not understand this line of thinking and the apologists for Parsons out there who think he was 'underpaid.' Why in god's name would the Rockets let him out after his third year because you feel like he was compensated poorly?? Why when the organization does something WELL from a business perspective, do they have to now punish themselves by shelling out more before Parsons' contract is over?

I mean do players who get huge contracts and then suck GIVE BACK MONEY to the teams that overpaid them? Where is the justice in that??? After all, its just the--I don't know--average fan who can only DREAM of making that much money paying for these underpaid' athletes and now you want to give them a PITY RAISE???? I'd argue that most max or near-max players AREN"T worth there contract. How many times do teams have to overpay for a mediocre talent???? (Elton Brand, Hibbert, Ray Lewis, Jamison, Arenas the list goes on and on and on .....)

How many 2nd round rookies make it big in the league?? Maybe 5-10%? Morey already TOOK a big risk by giving 4 years to a 2nd rounder--who forced Parsons to sign that contract? If he knew he'd be so amazing, why didn't he hold out and say I only want a 2 year, or 3 year contract instead?? I'm that aweome. Hmmm?

So in the actual RARE instance that a star or near-star player actual OUTPLAYS his contract, its such an anomaly that people are tripping over themselves to give him more money! I find the whole topic fully hilarious.

I understand wanting to wrap him up long-term and that will require paying him 'market price,' and so yes, that could include declining his 4th year option and signing him to a long agreement in a move to keep him happy and the chemistry going but all this talk about feeling bad for him and declining his 4th option and letting him go out and find a contract on good faith and we'll go and match bla bla bla just sounds crazy, especially since for once the company (in this case the Rockets organization) actually did something RIGHT from a business perspective. If NBA players think they are being underpaid, then they should go and get a job in the real world and let them complain. I'll have cookies and warm milk ready to comfort them.

14. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Chandler will get paid but not before the Rockets reel in two more stars. It starts with Howard then you either get a Paul this year or another star the following. Morey understands that you need three stars to win and having a solid 4th is the icing ion the cake. Look at Boston with Garnett, Pierce, and Allen and then Rondo on a cheap contract. Parsons is our Rondo. Just need Howard and one of Paul/Love/LMA. Parsons will be paid like Rondo with bird rights once the others are secured.

15. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

I thought he only cared about PPatt :p

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

See the bottom part of my post. :)

As I said, I agree that the Rockets won't do it if it harms them in any way. But if Dwight's here and the Rockets are no longer in a position to worry about cap room, then the only person who would be "punished" is Les by having to give out one extra year of a higher salary. If Les is willing to do that, and I think he is, then the Rockets might as well help Chandler out. The upside of a happier player/agent and team continuity outweighs the downside, which is almost nothing.

Also, no matter how small, there is a risk if you let a player reach unrestricted free agency. Just look at the Lakers and Dwight this year. Things can happen, even if you have full Bird rights and all appears well a year in advance.

1 person likes this.
  17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Slow down dude. The reason you "don't understand this line of reasoning" is because it involves complexities of the CBA.

The easiest way to understand why Morey does not execute the team option is by remembering how executing the team option on Dragic caused us to lose him. It is a HUGE risk to allow Parsons to get unrestricted free agent status like Dragic did all because Morey is too cheap to lock him up in a restricted free agent bidding war

Dude. If we rescind our team option he is a RESTRICTED free agent. It is then elementary to lock him up long term. If we get greedy like we did with Dragic, then Parsons has all the power to go to any team he wants

Get it. Trust us capologists ... Restricted FA negotiations is what you want

18. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Someone earlier mentioned the poison pill, and I am wondering if this same scenario could happen to us? I guess it would have to do with how far above or below we are under the cap.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Parsons is the black Rick Fox.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member