1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey Drops the Ball on Yet Another CHEAP Quality Point Guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotballa, Jul 1, 2016.

1. hakeemthagreat

If you're talking about Harden, then yes he had a poor series. The whole team didn't play up to it's standards. But I'm talking specifically about 2 unforced DUMB AZZ turnovers Lin made which cost us 2 crucial games. Lin's just not a very smart basketball player. His basketball IQ isn't where it should be

2. hakeemthagreat

You don't know Ish Smith tho lol. He's not CP3, WB or Curry so he must be a scrub in your eyes. That's just idiotic

3. SuraGotMadHops

[​IMG]

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

yet again just making dumb assumptions. if you think making this big of a deal for someone like ish smith is warranted then that's what is really idiotic in this case.

5. hakeemthagreat

I'm not making a blind assumption lol. You opened yourself up when you commented that Ish is a scrub. That's a idiotic statement. What makes him a scrub exactly? Because he's not averaging 20pt & 10assist. Fans like this aren't basketball fans, their boxscore chasers. Again Ish is a solid NBA point guard

1 person likes this.
  6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ish is solid, but Mike D saw plenty of him in Philadelphia so I'm sure he could have had him If he really thought he was worth it.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

who cares. you can take it as literal as you want anyway you want. I want winning players that are able to contribute positively who can fit into what a team is trying to do. Compared to someone who is not in the NBA of course he's going to not be a scrub to you. But as far as league standards hes not someone worth making this big fuss over who is nothing more than what Ive described previously. If you're going to get all defensive for Ish over that then again I just can't take you seriously

8. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

I think the point of the thread is we already got a crappy pg in bev and then we pretty much got nothing backing him up, and Morey failed to address this hole so far. You can always say harden handles the ball mostly, blah blah blah, but that might not be the case and wise with a new coach and new offense.

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

thank you...I dont know why its so hard for the Moridiots to see this.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It will be the case with the new coach and system because the new coach has already said as much, but even if it weren't the case, the fact that these PGidiots like hotballa can't understand is that a guy like Ish Smith is a terrible fit.

I agree we need to address the backup PG spot and the Rockets are trying. They don't like the players Hotballa likes.

11. hakeemthagreat

I'm not defensive any way, I just don't think you know what you're talking about. Judging from the skill set Ish has he's not a scrub and would fit nicely in a MDA's uptempo offense. Again, he pushes the pace, he's a excellent passer & can create shots for others. He's not a great shooter, but can put pressure on the defense by getting to the rim. You still haven't explained to me how he's a scub, making me assume you're referring to his boxscore numbers. At the end of the day we don't have a change of pace guard on the team, and Ish should've been a target

12. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

not to mention he only cost $6m. I just dont get it. Jennings is even more established and he only cost $5m.

13. Allegro

Allegro Member

But who put us into crisis in those games in the first place? Not Lin. You're blaming the fireman for not saving your house when you started the fire. I ask you again: do the words "honor" and "fairness" still mean anything to you?

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Before we throw stones at Morey for dropping the ball and not getting a few of these FAs, lets see what ends up happing with the cap space and trades. I have a feeling a few more moves will be made.

Then we can judge. :p

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

if you immediately begin a response to something with sucks, I'd say thats defensive. Regardless if you're going to discuss a difference in opinion in a mature way we can proceed but if you're going to do the latter route I have no problem using the same tone I'm getting.

Aside from what I said earlier about him being the 9/10th man on a winning team and a player you sign when you're out of options at the pg position or have an injury filled roster, that's what makes this fuss just pointless by OP.

Yes Ill give him he can pass, but in order for him to be even be somewhat effective you need to put the ball in his hands and run with it. So are you telling us you would want him Ish Smith to control the ball on a winning team. That would require him being way too ball dominant on a team that is built around an elite guard in Harden. There's not much else he can do tbh. He's not a player you can rely on to play off the ball, he can't shoot, he's small, even if he can get to the rim he's not that great at finishing. Even if he gets fouled, he's a pretty disappointing FT shooter for a guard. His weaknesses largely outweigh what he would need to do on this team to add any +'s towards winning. He just isn't a good fit.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Or maybe also consider that DM isn't a magician. he can't make players sign with the Rockets. If he could, the Rockets would be the Warriors.

17. Allegro

Allegro Member

Well, Morey's had years to do something. The PG talent pool is deeper than for any other position, so he's had plenty of opportunity. But he hasn't done much, so let's say I'm not optimistic.

18. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Ish flipping Smith!! No thanks! We can have all the cheap sorry point guards once James leaves.

#118 danoman, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  19. Allegro

Allegro Member

The problem is that we need a PG who's smart enough to make clever plays, but who's also too dumb to realize that he won't have the ball much here (Harden will).

Or we could trade for someone (no established FAs will come) who has too much character to whine about it, and enough ability to produce anyway.

We had someone like the latter, but most of the people here couldn't wait to make him the scapegoat.

20. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Jarrett Jack is now an unsigned FA (I don't think any team has signed him yet) who might be a solid backup point guard for the Rocks. He can shoot and defend although at 33 he is not as quick as he was (who is?).