1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey and PFs/PGs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by awc713, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Razsan

Razsan Member

I don't get this. I RESPONDED to those stating that Lowry was WAYYYYYY better than Lin and BY FAR the inferior player....and he's played in 467 games to 179. The point I make is that Jeremy is still a young player in terms of experience and Lowry is a bonafide veteran.. His first few years weren't any better than Jeremy but he is now a terrific player.
    The same way there are those that are fed up with Lin's fans...I'm fed up with those that go out of their way to make sure we understand that he's a scrub.

2. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

LMFAO, Im willing to bet all the money in my piggy bank that all GMs in the NBA would pick Lowry over Lin based on overall talent every single day of the week and twice on Sundays lol. It wouldnt even be close right now by the way our old buddy has been playing. GOD i wish we had him instead of Lin. :(

3. markusbrutus

markusbrutus Member

Seriously, you guys arguing with razsan just dont comprehend his arguments.

What he is pointing out is that lowry and lin were almost similar in lowry's formative years. So statements like lowry was, is, and always is just not correct. Lowry IS now better than Lin, but it WAS not always the case.

And please don't bring up this year because we all know Lowry is just beasting, and Lin seems lost.

4. markusbrutus

markusbrutus Member

You are one of those guys who loves to argue just for the sake of arguing, aren't ya?

The key to nobies' statement is the word WASN'T.

He did not use ISN'T. Nor did he use WILLN'T.

Nothing to argue here.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah he was.

6. Royality

Royality Member

Don't forget the RGV forwards , he drafted James Johnson (Now with the Grizzles) , had Chris Johnson down there till he went to the Celtics and had a decent game yesterday, Andrew Gudelock (ehhh) , Vander Blue was in our camp early in the Season (Celtics just called him up)

7. Nook

Nook Member

Lowry on the Rockets > Lin on the Rockets

8. passdarock

passdarock Member

Lowry's numbers may have been "pedestrian", as you mention, but at least he was starting or playing back-up point guard on with the Houston Rockets. He signed on with the Rockets in 2009 and saw considerable playing time in 2010 and 2011.
    Lin on other hand, didn't become noticed until 2011.

So, if were comparing numbers from 2009. Lowry's would be, undoubtedly, higher.

And if were comparing numbers now and where they are both in their career. Lowry is a starting point guard for the Raptors averaging 16.5 ppg where Jeremy Lin is back up point guard/shooting guard averaging 13.5.

..and just so you know, I am not a Lin hater. I really do appreciate how he plays and his contribution to the team. Unfortunately, when you draw comparisons between these two players, Jeremy Lin falls short.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Lin is two years younger than Lowry.... further, Lowry was a very good player with the Rockets ..... when Lowry was (25) the same age that Lin is right now, he has a WS of .156 and Lin right now has a WS of .105.... that is a HUGE difference.... in fact, the career high for Lin is .140, which is still LESS than what Lowry had with the Rockets.

10. psingh34

psingh34 Member

You should check Leonard and morris stats this year you will find them to be similar and morris has become a better shooter. Leonard defends better but in their third year I don't think diff between the two is that great. Also Ur conv. Leaving out the fact that notetaker drafted parsons in the second essentially erasing the need for leanord

11. Gil

Gil Member

Another Lin bashing thread lol.

12. Nook

Nook Member

#1 Age is the key indicator, as Lin still played 4 years of college and is in his 4th year in the NBA, he is not a rookie and is relatively speaking, not that young a player in the NBA landscape.

#2 Lowry was actually a very effective player his first year in the NBA (at age 20), it was his second (21) and first half of third year (22) where he struggled, as soon as he hit the court with the Rockets, he produced at a high level (.143 WS).

#3 Who in this thread said Lin was a scrub? No one did, INSTEAD one of your minions said "Lowry wasn't any better than Lin".... which is PATENTLY FALSE.

#4 You have an inferiority complex.

13. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Great post. Center is pretty clearly the most important position, because of the huge impact on defense. I'm not convinced that SG is more important than PG, but I commend you on your line of reasoning. Actualization vs. potential is an interesting way to think of it.

The problem with the PF position it's largely defined by its weakness. PFs are players that don't dribble well enough to be SFs, and who don't protect the paint well enough to be Cs. If your PF were so good that he could dribble or protect the paint, then you would often do better by moving him to those positions. All the best "PFs" spend a lot of time playing other positions (LeBron at SF, Bosh and Duncan at C, Dirk at SF or C, etc.)

14. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Too many misses. In 2 position rich with talent, Morey have failed to get even 1 top 10 player in that positions.

Jones might take that leap thou.

15. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Thanks man.

And I'm not saying PG is a less-important position, but I am saying that winning PGs' responsibilities consist of less glamorous duties, and that the new wave of scoring, flashy ball-dominant PGs are not the types of players you want to build around (a PG's, or primary ball-handler's biggest responsibility is to oversee ball movement and shot distribution amongst his teammates, and whenever that player is shooting or dribbling too much, it naturally inhibits a team's ball-movement).

PGs are important. I just wouldn't want my PG to be a top-2 (or preferably not top-3, either, for what it's worth) scoring option on my team (or have an especially high usage rate).

16. Sen89

Sen89 Member

And Tony Parker and Billups were top-2 options, but they were aberrations in the sense that they were not ball-dominant and didn't inhibit their team's ball-movement.

17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

How many of those top 10 were taken after a Houston draft pick?

18. awc713

awc713 Member

what about isiah thomas (detroit)?

19. coffeelover665

Kind of hard to compare the two. I remember when the garm was talking about how Lin was better then Lowry and was having better stats. Well Lowry was playing ballhog Rudy Gay. Now Rudy Gay get traded and Lowry blows up and i think it's the same thing story with Lin

20. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

The reason good PG's aren't as important as they used to be is because they aren't reliable. They are typically the smallest guy on the court, and take as much contact as a center.