1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey and his risky maneuvers.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OlajuwonFan81, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you completely avoid risk, you are guaranteed to be a loser. Every move to expand a business, for instance, involves take a risk in the form of a loan, or hiring a new employee. There is always the chance a new employee turns out to b e incompetent, or a new location won't be profitable. But if you don't take a risk, you remain a mom and pop business with 1 location and no employees. Every time a team signs a player, or makes a trade, that is a risk.

The key is managing risk. Even if he loses the risk with Parsons, Morey has a great track record with risk taking.

Everybody who takes risks will eventually lose one. But, as stated, never taking risks is surrendering without even trying, and there is nobody who takes risks that hasn't eventually had a risk turn south. It's like baseball where the best players in the league get an out 6 out of 10 at bats. Nobody would realistically suggest Ted Williams was a bad hitter because of all the outs he got. You have to define success relative to how often o ther jitters get an out.

Holding someone to the standard of perfection is unrealistic. Compared with his peers. Morey's risks turn out positively significantly better than average.

#41 Ottomaton, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

He did land Harden and Dwight in back-to-back offseasons. He deserves props for that. But he also wasted a lot of draft picks and has had very little postseason success. Hell, the team's actually missed the playoffs half the time he's been here. If Morey whiffs completely on this offseason and we flame out in the first round again, he may be cleaning out his office along with McHale.

3. Huricane

Huricane Contributing Member

I think the offer made by Cuban to Parsons is not strictly basketball related and the personal relations between Cuban and Morey, or the lack there of, had a role in Cuban offering a massive contract to Parsons.

Daryl screwed up Cuban's plans when we signed Dwight.

This is Cuban's way of paying us back.
    I thought Chandler Parsons was worth 8 to 10 million and I only say 10 million because of the way the salary cap in increasing every year.

By offering Chandler 15 million over 3 years, Cuban is overpaying by 15 million or 5 million per year. That is not a whole lot considering how wealthy Cuban is.

Here is the thing, while Cuban may have screwed us over by overpaying Chandler, he also screwed himself and Dirk over because there is no way Dallas is a Championship caliber team with only the addition of Chandler to that team. And it is not like Dirk has that many more years left. This move pretty much means that Dirk will only be playing to pad his career total stats because he is not winning another championship.

#43 Huricane, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That was what I thought. People just wanting to believe that in his heart Houston is probably there with Phoenix while Phoenix was his first destination
    in the first place.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I can't believe people are complaining after his way of doing things got us 2 all stars and now possibly three...

6. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Didnt really understand letting parsons become a rfa. We are a win now team. Coulda had him for a mil next year and trade him at the deadline if needed. Wouldnt having parsons for at least one guaranteed year make us look even more attractive to fas?

And now we have noone to backup harden, no viable options at a real pg, nor even a semi competent big man to push t jones. Always reaching for the stars when we had a good enoughbteam already that just needed a few additions here and there

7. Plutoburn

Plutoburn Member

If you are not a risk taker, you will never be truly as successful as you can be. You have to take some risks along the way if you are a GM with any aspiration to create a championship caliber team because you are competing with many other teams.

Making a thread after one of those risks came to realization is really hindsight 20/20.

8. rubbertoe

rubbertoe Member

may the rocket fans burn in hell..

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Risks or not. Parsons had a ceiling. People were overrating him.

I think he can be replaced though. It is hard because he had intangibles not easily replaced.

His Defense was evaporating like everyone else's.

1 person likes this.
  10. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

If I was Dirk i'd let Parsons sign with Dallas and then just take my talents to houston. We all know this won't happen though because Dirk is loyal unlike Parsons.

1 person likes this.
  11. Play07

Play07 Member

Cuban is going to offer to take LIN in a S&T also... Watch

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Everyone complains, that is normal

Key is to manage to keep our losses few and get something in big in return either now or later

13. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

I wouldn't say Parsons is not loyal, but this is a basketball decision for him. He has been drastically underpaid for 3 years and now is HIS chance to get paid.

Why take a hometown discount at this stage?

Besides, do you know who his agent is? He wants his 5% of as much money as possible.

14. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

As of right now the team is still no closer to being a real contender and closer to being first round fodder again like they have been for nearly 20 years now. I'm sorry I'm just not that impressed anymore with Morey. Like I said earlier I know there is time for things to occur to salvage this off season but I'm not apologizing for not having much trust in Morey at this point.

1 person likes this.
  15. vator

vator Contributing Member

I'm as pissed as anybody out there, trust me, but the fact of the matter is, a core of Howard, Harden, and Parsons just wasn't likely to get the job done at the end of the day. Morey took a risk and tried to hit the home run. It may end up backfiring, but he had to take the risk. I'll complain and be angry about it if we go into next year as a worse team on paper than we were last year, but I understand what he is/was trying to do. We could be sitting around resting on our laurels like teams like Portland and being happy that we won 54 games last year while talking about how much the team will grow internally. Portland won't win the title next year and the Rockets as presently constructed probably wouldn't either. The man is working trying to improve the team. Can't fault him for that.

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Exactly and in morey we trust.

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

For an NBA GM the bar is set very low. Morey is above it by default. I would have so much respect if he didn't put his hands inside the coaching philosophy. I knew Cuban was going to bid us up and Morey wasn't going maych, look at the other thread. This is just a lesson Morey dick suckers. Get some dignity, mostly the geek Stat fans. Get some people's skills

18. hotballa

explain to me how that 1.1 million of parsons salary cap space was going to make much of a difference when we were trading away asik and lin already, not to mention d-mo and others if needed

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

and if we let parsons become an UFA next year and he signs for this much money with dallas we don't have the option to match. so how is that not risky?

20. hotballa

are we even going to match $15m for Parsons? i like the guy, but he is not a 15M player!