1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey and his argument of "Need 3 elite players to win a title"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OlajuwonFan81, Jul 15, 2014.

1. boiler

boiler Member

This. At least it's Morey's mindset.

2. RocketsNana

RocketsNana Member

Parsons was not the 3rd elite player, he was a great role player. We lost in 1st round. Still can't get over that Lillard shot. Why does he compare himself to the top tier? Because Cuban tried to get us to match and screw up our cap space? Chandler, look in the mirror.

3. RocketsNana

RocketsNana Member

We were almost there. Almost hit the grand slam! So close. I don't think we get to Finals if Parsons is our 3rd best player. Sorry, but my opinion.

1 person likes this.
  4. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

OK, let's play some playground basketball. Construct your championship team by picking ONE player out of Group A and ONE player out of Group B. Assume said players are in their championship year(s) form:

Group A:

The Dream. Shaq. TD. Dirk. Dwight.

Group B:

MJ. Drexler. Kobe. Wade. Harden.

Pair up the last guy standing from each group, and that duo need help from a third elite player.

(I mean, would anyone here even take Dwight-Harden over prime Yao-T-Mac in a seven game series? I don't recall Morey spewing this 3-elite theory back in those days.)

Guys, we have 2 pseudo-superstars. Deal with it.

5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Did I say elite? You said "no offense" that's just not true. OT's first three years with the Rockets he averaged 17.1, 17.5 and 17.3 Pts. a game. Yes it dipped to 14 a game in the title year, but to say no offense is not accurate.

1 person likes this.
  6. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

A third elite player would be helpful, but the Rockets can do it with two if they pick up the right complementary players. Surround Howard and Harden with players who can shoot the three lights out. Last season we really had just one of those, Parsons. Ariza will be great in that role, but that leaves PF and PG. A Ryan Anderson or Ersan Ilysovich getting those open looks would fit perfectly. Instead, it appears Morey will wait for an elite player to shake loose to the Rockets, which may or may not happen. Love hasn't given any indication he'd re-sign here. Meanwhile, Harden and Howard's peak years go by while we wait for that third star.

7. Centerville

Centerville Member

Heh. I believe he was saying "No offense intended to OT, Kenny, and Mad Max, but they're not elite." :grin:

8. DreamEarlNolan

Based on the list of champions I would say the most assured way to win a championship is to have the leagues best player on your team. Olajuwan was the best player in the league the two years Houston won the championship. Jordan was the best player the years the Bulls won their championships. Shaq and later Kobe were most likely the most best players the years they won their championships. Lebron is the currently the best player in the NBA and he has won two of the last three championships. It could be argued that Duncan was the best player in the league for a few of San Antonio's championships. So while there have been exceptions to the rule, it appears the best way for the Rockets to win a championship is to find a way to sign Lebron or possibly Durant, or for Harden to elevate his game to where he is the best player in the league.

9. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

So sad.

The chase for 3rd star is over.

Not nearly as flexibly as before. No more good contracts/players to trade outside of the 2 stars.

Face it. The chase is over for 3rd star. Not enough assets for trade and no max cap to sign.

Trade exception and 1 semi good pick is all that's left. Not even close to having enough to trade for a KLove or Rondo. Can't sign LMA and why would he come to Houston now anyways. So who's left that is worthy of the '3rd' star crown?

If you think otherwise make up a scenario where it will be worth it for other team to trade with the Rockets for a major piece. Cannot trade away the 2 stars or that just defeats the purpose.

I know that was a terrible contract and CP wasn't worth it but in reality, that was the only "talent" the Rockets will likely have shot at in the near future.

If Morey doesn't think CP is good enough to ever be that 3rd star, than I hope he is right because weirder things have happened.

It would really suck if it turns out CP gets to level or worst, Dallas somehow ends up doing better than the Rockets while CP is there.

Imagine if Dallas makes it to WCF and Rockets have another 1st round exit.

Here's hoping Father Time takes out Dirk and forces CP to be the man and he fails. But what if he takes that step....

The horror! And with Cuban laughing and smirking all the way to the bank.

1 person likes this.
  10. houactuar

houactuar Member

Seems like circular logic. Also, Michael Jordan did not win one year because he had only pippin. He didn't have grant that year nor rod man. Orlando had grant, Shaquille and anfrenee hard away who knocked out Chicago. Then Orlando lost to Hakeem and dresser and....

Anyway, Michael Jordan always had pippin and another pretty high quality star like grant or rod man , someone better than parsons that's for sure, when he won titles. Early years he did not win. Then he retired.

11. houactuar

houactuar Member

Sorry, can't fix the spell checker auto corrections. Oh well. Have no job, no money for tip jar and it doesn't sound like tip jar always works. Just trying to keep it real. But can't edit to fix. Never been on a board where I had to pay to correct posts before. Woe is me.

Go rockets.

12. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I disagree. I don't think Harden and Howard matchup with the likes of Jordan Pippen or Shaq Kobe let alone Lebron and Wade. Most of those championship teams elite players were better than ours.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

14. Mr Chuck Norris

You know a better way? LEARN TO DRAFT BETTER! No Royce White's No Ero Stashes, NO DRAFTING FUTURE ASSESTS TO TRADE. Get coaching staff in here, Coach that player up to a 3rd star.

1 person likes this.
  15. houactuar

houactuar Member

Well the pells pick should be better than our picks. It's hard to get quality pick when you draft late in first round.

16. houactuar

houactuar Member

Jordan Pippen lost to Orlando without a 3rd wheel like Grant or Rodman.

And who else measures up to Jordan who some argue is greatest ever.

But to be fair, James Harden is coming off season where he was 24.

Jordan did not win a title until his 7th year where he was 27.

Unfair comparison on many levels.

If the Rockets had landed Bosh, they could have won a title in the next couple years. They do need a 3rd star. Even Pipen and Jordan needed a third star.

17. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

You are wrong on so many levels. First off Horace Grant was never an elite player.

Harden is 24, but i'll take Jordan at 24 any day of the week over Harden. Harden plays zero defense. Not only that but Jordan averaged 37 points per game in his 3rd season.

Go through the list of those teams winning championships whether it was Olajuwon, Prime Duncan, Shaq Kobe, Jordan, Lebron. They are all better than our elite players. I don't think there is any question about it. The guys I just named are all time greats.

18. qwertzy

qwertzy Member

one of the stupiest thing I have ever heard in basketball is that you need 3 elite players for winning a championship

1 person likes this.
  19. houactuar

houactuar Member

Saying you would take Jordan at 24... wow what brilliant insight.

So, given we do not have Lebron or Durant or Spurs(Duncan, Parker, Ginobli and Kawhi) and given a goal of winning a title was DM right or wrong to go after more talent like Melo or Bosh? Clearly yes.

I never said Harden was better than Jordan. I said even as great as Jordan was he did not win the year he did not have Grant and before they replaced the third wheel with Rodman. Grant and Rodman were solid players.

Grant in the 91-92 year had 14+ winshares, 3rd in NBA, that is pretty elite. Obviously helped win the three titles in the first trifecta.

I'm pretty sure if Howard and Harden had a 3rd wheel with 14+ winshares next year they would have the best team in the league.

You know how many winshares Parsons had? 7.6 Terrence Jones? 7.3
    Trevor Ariza? 8.0 Lin? 4.4

20. mockster

mockster Member

I don't think their is a specific roster you need to win. I think in the end it comes down to the overall chemistry of the team such as spurs. That given though their usually each team has 2-3 star players who kind of carry the team and lead it. I think when it comes down to the sure if your role players suck you aren't going to get far unless your Kobe or Jordan who can score in bunches and hit jumpers consistently *Cough harden hopefully*. Spurs as a team out worked Miami so in the end it really does matter how the team is as a unit. 2 players can't make up for 3 other players slacking and getting scored on by their match up.

1 person likes this.