1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey and his argument of "Need 3 elite players to win a title"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OlajuwonFan81, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Los Angeles 2002 - 3 elite players (Kobe, Shaq and ref)

2. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Totally agree....

T_Man

3. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Nope, neither at the time.

4. Shadowz

Shadowz Member

You dont really need 3 stars to win, you just need 2, and bunch of glue players who are on the same page.

5. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Instead of arguing whether the Spurs have 3 elite players lets get back to the main point. A team does NOT have to have 3 elite players in order to win a championship however they must have an all time great or bona fide superstar. If they do not have that bona fide superstar then they must have 3 elite players.

I suppose that just about sums it up. In terms of coaching........yes that is a whole different argument.

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Nah nearly every one of those teams had a top 10-15 player of all time on it. THAT is the trend.

7. houactuar

houactuar Member

The exception that proves the rule. So in the last 20 years, one time.

Of course harden could be the next Jordan. What year is harden in? What year did Jordan win first title?

Go rockets.

8. Possum

Possum Member

Answer me this. How many of those championship teams third best player was better than chandler parsons???

1 person likes this.
  9. MPC

MPC Member

Spurs just won the championship with a 12 man rotation. You might be able to argue Parker or Leonard are Elite, but you'll find just as many arguments countering - making them not so elite.

10. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Not only that but how many of those teams best player was better than Howard or Harden?

1 person likes this.
  11. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

"Elite player" is so nebulous. Counting all stars is more concrete, but I'm too lazy to do it.

12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

11 to 10 in favor of 3 elite players. Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace and Chauncey Billups were elite that year. That being said, I think Morey is right, but I guarantee he has not given up the idea of winning a championship this year. He knows if he doesn't have 3 elite, you have to win with good defense and hope your two elite get their offense clicking perfectly in the playoffs.

13. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

The question, at least for our context, is how many of those teams' third player is significantly better than Parsons? The answer is almost all of them.

14. Possum

Possum Member

I think you missunderstood my intent. Harden and Howard are elite for sure. They match up well with any two stars on any of those teams. Parsons on the other hand doesn't compare favorably to the third best player on the majority of these teams.

15. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Absolutely- they're the only exception. I was just responding to the comment that every team had that type of player.

16. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

It's true. Morey's right.

No offense OT, Mad Max, and Kenny...

That's why Dream is GOAT.

17. houstonhoya

I don't think Morey's suggestion is that you can't win it with only two or one.

He's really claiming that if you want to be the odds on favorite any given year, the contender of contenders, you need three.

And clearly, Morey's goal is to make a team that becomes the odds on favorite for at least a couple of seasons.

18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Apparently you didn't watch, too young or just don't know how good OT was.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You need 3 elite players to win a title when elite players 1 and 2 are not elite enough.

Howard and Harden are no Shaq and Kobe.

20. houstonhoya

I don't remember him being an elite level player. Glad you remember him so fondly though.