1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morehouse College Study: YAO MINGS lbs per inch is HIGHER than many!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shawndme7, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

Yao Mings
    Height 7'5 (89 inches)
    Weight 296
    296/89 = 3.3 lbs of weight per height.

Now lets look at some other prospects
    Mike Dunleavy Jr
    6'8 (80 inches)
    Weight 230
    230/80= 2.875

Chris Wilcox
    6'8 (80 inches)
    Weight 218
    218/68=2.725 lbs per inch

Jay Williams
    6'0 (72 inches)
    Weight 197
    197/72 = 2.7361111 (less than yaos if you observe)

Curtis Borchardt
    7'0 (84 inches)
    weight 238
    238/84= 2.83333333 (Hmmm)

Caron Butler
    6'5 1/4 ( 77.25 inches)
    weight 222
    222/77.25=2.87 (and he has an NBA body)

Ok so thast the easy stuff...these comparisons probably dont hold too much weight since yao will be playing CENTER...i havent looked but now i am about to study some NBA centers.

You guys know the formula
    Shaq
    7'1
    350(at least)
    4.11 lbs per inch (YIKES)

Sean Bradley
    7'6
    2.9444 (yao weighs more than this guy because Yao has huge legs)

Most people only observe the upper body...
    I was surprised to see Yao is pretty cut on the upper body...Built kinda like KG...he even rocks the Rubber band.

Vlade Divac
    7'1
    3.059 (ok now we get closer to Yao)

The Real TMAC Todd" tracy Mcgrady is TMc not Tmac" Maculloch
    7'0
    (3.333333) Wow someone actually higher than Yao....but not by much.

Ok so these are just a few comparisons..I couldve done a lot more..but im tired...
    It just shows that Yao isnt that light....In basketball..Your Strength comes from your base, your legs...

The Base of a building is the most important. If the building is top heavy and the base is weak..it will topple over.
    Id rather have a strong legged Yao Ming than a Chicken legged one anyday.

Yao will be able to hold position (somewhat) whith his legs...
    Americans base too much on upper body..thats why we see so many Muscleheads with chicken legs.

Up until a few years ago people didnt even lift weight (basketball players). basketball players arent supposed to look like Ken Caminiti.
    What makes Shaq so good is that he is built like caminiti, but can move like someone much smaller...

FEEL FREE TO COME UP WITH YOUR OWN ANALYSIS TO ADD ON

2. Shawndme7

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Hey great post!

I think there is a lot to be said about Yao's lower body strength. I think it shows that he CAN put on weight! Bradley for instance was a stick all the way around. They tried to put weight on him and they couldn't. It just was not in his genetics. But looking at Yao we have physical proof that this guy can put on weight. It stands to reason if we can put on some pounds on the lower half that we can add in in the upper half as well. He just needs proper training from the Rockets on how to do it.

I think the guy will hold his ground just fine in the NBA. He will only get better.

Chris

4. Shawndme7

yea i was looking at that page for draft prospects...and I know yao looks Skinny, but i saw the weight and I was like...hes not that bad...

5. Shawndme7

You guys suck...all the research i put into this post and you guys couldnt even keep it on the 1st page :(

I wanna cry.

6. IndianPlaya

IndianPlaya Contributing Member

Excellent post shawn.. some peeople are prolly juss jealous that htey didnt think of it quicker. But i think your analysis might be skewed, like the bigger you are the more you weigh, and you are not necessarily buffer. For example, steve francis is fairly strong for a point guard, yet i m sure his pounds per inch isnt that high (im too lazy to check) and the fact that shawn bradley's pounds per inch are more than many buffer looking people, such as dunleavy and butler further points to the fact that the taller u are the more you weigh. However, you are right in saying that bradley is much skinnier than yao...

7. Shawndme7

I agree indianplaya. Like I said, it also depends on what position you play. Obviously a small player might be strong, but not have that many lbs per inch.
    But I think the fact that Yao has a higher or similar lb/inch "rating" shows that he might not be as weak as some think...

Theres a picture on one of these posts that shows how big Yao's legs are...He's built more like a soccer player...A very tall one at that.

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The build of many Asian people who have height is different from others. People forget that Mongolia (northern China) has always been known for its very large and very sturdy people. They have always needed a stout constitution to live in that environment which is pretty rugged.

We always think of Asians as diminutive and thin, but China is a big place and not everyone fits the mold of the stereotypical Asian.

9. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Most of the Chinese we see in America here are from southern China. They are in general smaller in built with skinny frame. But the people in northern China are much taller and bigger. I think they average like 5'10" with bigger body.

10. redao

redao Member

Menk Barteer 290/83=3.49 He is a Mongolian.

11. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

Interesting work, but it is fundamentally flawed.

Here's a simple experiment:

Take a tall glass and put one inch of water in it and then weigh it.

Now fill that same glass all the way up (e.g. 6" of water) and weigh it again.

You will find that the weight of the water of the full glass vs. the 1" filled glass is not proportional to the difference in the height of the water.

You see, height is a linear measure (i.e. 1 dimension), whereas weight is an effect of volume (3 dimensions). Therefore, when height increases weight should increase in increments raised exponentially to the third power, so you should fully expect taller players to have significantly higher pounds/inch stats that a proportional shorter player.

Okay, science lesson over.

Go Rockets!!!

Go Ming!!!

12. Shark Rocket

Shark Rocket Member

Yeah, Northerners in China are much bigger than southerners. And most overseas Chinese are southerners from Guangdong and Fujian, who are short even in Chinese standards.

13. tozai

tozai Member

Lbs per inch is the stupidest data I've ever seen. Are you using this to say a player will be good? This is ridiculous. If you want to say you think Yao will be good because he's 7'5 and has fundamental skills then just say so. He has thick legs and an extremely skinny upper body. Just say that, instead of doing irrelevant height/weight ratio BS...

14. MysticRyder

MysticRyder Member

All he is saying is that people that worry about his weight don't need to.

15. RocketForever

Why are you this upset? The guy is just trying to give us one more perspective to evaluate Yao Ming against other NBA centers. Just ignore this thread if you think the idea is stupid.

16. RocketForever

Why are you this upset? The guy is just trying to give us one more perspective to evaluate Yao Ming against other NBA centers. Just ignore this thread if you think the idea is stupid.

17. Shawndme7

LOLOL

I never said he would be good because of his lbs per inch.

Like the others before me stated..I simply used it as a measure for those people who are crying about his weight.

Hell he might suck, but his lbs per inch is still high ;)

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No kidding, tozai. Good post , Shawndme7. I was wondering what Steve's weight/height was as well, but I'm lazy too. ;-)

Whatever it is, Steve has some of the biggest calves I've ever seen! Certainly the biggest for his height.