1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

More Nick Johnson....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by beardsanity713, May 22, 2015.

1. rocks123

rocks123 Member

this series is too close. we can't afford to experiment on the line-up. one crucial mistake could lead to a momentum change and mini runs.

2. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

you mean like whats already happening when we insert Brewer?

3. SevenMinuteAbs

If you're referring to mcdaniels, it's because he's injured. How you can consider yourself a rockets fan and not know that is beyond me.

4. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

At least he can move on defense unlike Jason Terry.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i'm in favor of playing capela and johnson more minutes the rest of the way.

win or lose the series, these young guys will have one hell of an experience. they will get to see what it really takes, and hopefully bring that into next year.

they will learn to play hard, play smart, and not take any possessions off.

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

He played him off the bench in the 2nd half bc Prig was blowing assignments in the 1st half and sucking on offense. I'd be surprised to see McHale completely abandon Prig, but if Prig sucks again, he's only going to play 1st halves at best.

7. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I agree with using Johnson more because he's your best defensive PG option, and you're not losing much on the offense end with how Terry/Pablo have played. That being said, only play Johnson when Harden is in as the main ball handler, IMO.

8. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Hmmm thought I read somewhere he got brought in for some scrub minutes a few weeks back. Thanks Jackass for pointing it out

9. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

McDaniels has been in game attire since the Clippers series. He's no longer in street clothes. Are you sure he is still injured?

10. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

If Howard did that much damage last night not at 100% I like the Rox chances games 3 & 4

11. Huricane

Huricane Contributing Member

Jason Terry and Pablo Prigioni have gotten torched by the guards for the Dallas Mavericks and LA Clippers. Go back and look at the box scores for the Maverick's and Clipper's guards compared to their regular season averages.

I can understand the starting guards for the Mavs and Clippers having outstanding games, but when the back-up guards for the Clipper's and Mav's have above average games in scoring with a high shooting percentage, it should be an eye-opener.

I understand Jason Terry and Pablo had a couple of good games, but their overall production has been atrocious. Their poor shooting, with Jason Terry in particular - has cost us a few games and almost cost us a couple more games. If Jason Terry's or Pablo defense or shooting is even a tiny bit better, the Dallas and LA Clippers series is not even close. Only the outstanding play from James Harden has allowed this team to overcome the poor performances of Jason Terry and Pablo Prigioni and win games and advance against the Mav's and Clippers.

It is hard for me to believe that Nick Johnson could be any worse and Jason Terry or Pablo Prigioni. The worst case scenario is that Nick Johnson is as bad as Jason Terry or Prigioni.

Given Nick Johnson's size (6'3"), age (22), strength, athleticism, and mental toughness, you have to believe he will give you more on the defensive end than Jason or Pablo. Not only have Jason and Pablo been torched in terms of athleticism in not being able to keep up with the Mav's and Clippers guards, they have also been out-muscled. In terms of strength, Nick Johnson weighs in at 205 pounds and is 15 to 20 pounds heavier than Jason and Pablo.

Besides the fact that Stephen Curry went off the charts in the last two games against Jason Terry and Pablo, Klay Thompson had a couple decent games. With Klay being a big two guard at 6-7, 215 pounds, having Nick Johnson in there would make it easier for Harden and Nick Johnson to maintain defensive coverage on a broken play or a pick and roll/screen.

Kevin McHale absolutely deserves the criticism he received last year for not playing Donatas Motiejunas in last years playoff game against Portland. He is going to receive the same criticism this year for not playing Nick Johnson. While Nick won't give you the same offensive output as D-Mo, you have to believe he will give you more on the defensive end than Jason and Pablo and might give you more on the offensive end considering how poorly Jason and Pablo have shot in the last two series.

12. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Exactly. Nick can't do any worse. Heck put Capela on Curry WITH Howard in the game at the same time is something I would try. Capela has proven he can at least stay in front of Curry.

13. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

14. NateNate

NateNate Member

Nick better spend 99% of his offseason on his shot. Love his defense though.

15. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Howard Ariza Jones,Smith and Harden. I'd even try this lineup for a couple minutes in the game and see what happens rotating Capela in for Jones,Smith or Howard. Save Brewer for late in the game when everyone else is tired. If it doesn't work then McHale can ditch it real quick....obviously Johnson can be thrown in the mix also.

16. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

KJ has been off the injury list and in uniform for some time now.

17. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Dude no. The day I see nick make a shot is the day I say lebron isn't a b****.

I've seen nothing but air balls, bricks, turnovers, and missed layups from this kid.

I don't understand why some want him to get minutes...

18. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

I would let kj be SG while harden moves to point. Or just have KJ on curry

19. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

Brick Johnson he needs to work on his shooting this summer. Stop trying to dunk/be athletic. Learn the fundamentals first.

20. Huricane

Huricane Contributing Member

Hello PhiSlamma15 -

Capela is a center, not a point guard. I would love to see him get a few more minutes and giving Dwight a few more minutes of rest.

With that said, Curry is a point guard and he would have a field day if had Capela guarding Curry. Curry would just cross him over and have Capela land on his ass just like he did to Chris Paul. BTW - Chris Paul is one of the better defensive guards in the league.

Curry has crossed over Chris Paul, John Wall, Russell Westbrook, Patrick Beverly, Ty Lawson, and few others.

There a a few players that have a signature move that make them almost unfordable. Kareem with the Sky-Hook. Hakeem with his dream shake. Dirk with his backward leaning jumper. While Curry is not in the same category as the previous guys, we need to mention them as a point of reference because he is very difficult to guard. You have to have a solid one on one defender that is quick and fast.

We don't have anyone that can guard Curry, not even Patrick and he is our best defensive guard. After Patrick, I am guessing it would have to be Nick Johnson. I think the best option we have is to use a platoon or rotation of guys guarding Curry, including Pablo, Jason, and Nick Johnson. After that, rotate them out every 5 to 7 minutes to give them rest.

I included a couple of YouTube videos of Curry crossing over guys for reference so you can understand how good Curry is, and by extension, how difficult it is to guard him.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LHdahxlUPac" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/R6nrD47QPYw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>