1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

More James Harden ranks number 1 in post defense of all 73 players that have defended at least 40

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup. ive said this for quite sometime. I'd much rather have harden guard guys that are slower and try to play the bully game by trying to back people down. hes in a much better situation defensively

saleem, da_juice, James.B.H and 4 others like this.
  3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He needs to play center.

4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Like I have always said and some fools tried to argue, Harden is a good post defender and a capable defender when he is focused and trying.

saleem, hongxingli, da_juice and 7 others like this.
  5. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Exactly.

He gets such a bad wrap because he just can’t move his feet laterally while playing defense very well.

Sure on offense he is a master with the euro but that always completely stops his momentum. It’s highly skilled foot work but even then he doesn’t show the lateral movement because it’s the end of his drive.

He just can’t shuffle his feet greatly side to side fast enough, so he can get beat off the dribble easily and so then he swipes at the ball and people hate him for it.

But put him in a straight matchup in the post are or someone trying to use power moves and he’s great.

saleem, Reeko, Exiled and 2 others like this.
  6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I've been waiting for a James Harden post defense video for ages.. I know media would ignore it, but Clutchfans should get on it.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That would be awesome.

8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

3rd place MVP confirmed.

TracywtFacy and dragonwill like this.
  9. Rockets4Life13

bUt hAr_En dOeS nOt pLaY dEfEnSe

[​IMG]

htownrox1 likes this.
  10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

It's not like Harden has made dramatic defensive strides in recent years. He has always been a decent defender, it's just that he plays the passing lanes, and so gets caught out by a guy like Reddick who cuts behind him when his head is turned looking for a steal.

If the lame linfan didn't make a cherry picked video, then everyone would have always regarded him as a decent defender.

da_juice likes this.
  11. Entropy

Entropy Member

He's always been a good defender against big men. I've noticed that he plays stellar defense against Lebron.

saleem likes this.
  12. s3ts

s3ts Member

I'm just happy to even hear all this support for Harden's MVP run. Past weeks have all been about Lebron.

Harden clearly deserves AT LEAST this one.

13. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Funnily enough, I actually haven't heard anything about the MVP since LeBron's chances started to fade.

First all you heard was Giannis.

Then all you heard was LeBron taking it from Harden.

Now all I hear is crickets when it should be Harden's name being mentioned.

14. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Some are forgetting that ever since he's been a Rocket, he's had to carry the load offensively. He's got CP3 now, and Gordon has shown this year that he's very capable of leading and creating for the offense (even tho he's struggling from 3)

15. touring_low

touring_low Member

I've never viewed him as a bad defender, he's stout so he can hold his own at post defense.. his weakness is off ball, u always catch him ball watching and other players sneaks in backdoor.

16. seeingred

seeingred Member

In 2023 he'll be our starting PF.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  17. Vindicator

Vindicator Rookie

As it's pointed out multiple times by various people, the real issue with Harden is his lack of lateral quickness and athleticism (two crucial requirements for an elite defender), and not so much that he's uninterested in defense in general. It might come off that way to the casual fans because he's just slow-footed and has slow reaction time. But Harden fares much better in static situations where he can rely on his power and strength to defend as opposed to having to guard quick, little guys on the perimeter, where Harden gets killed most of the time. It's just unfortunate that Harden is a SG/PG with the body type of a power forward.

18. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Yeah, but who has he guarded?

Big factor in yet another bullshit stat. Though, I will say he's pretty good at post D.

SIL

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He'll get sympathy votes for 2nd place DPOY

20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The media needs to take this and run..... but instead, they'll ignore it.