1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

More info from Doc Rocket

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 25, 2001.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Zone Defense
    The Rockets are still trying to decide how they want to approach zone defenses next season. Rudy wants to attack it. This apparently is holding up things in regards to who the Rockets want to focus on this offseason.

In regards to Webber
    Whether the Rockets can get him or not I don't know. However the Rockets organization full on believes they can get him and will go full press.

The Rockets are also considering scenarios that would keep Taylor on the squad in the event they get Webber. That's way jumping the gun, but they don't believe any succesful courtship of Webber, no matter how unlikely, ends Taylor's stay in Houston.

The Draft
    I would think the Rockets are going to try and move up, but hey .... they try that every year. Not just a matter of "trying". Shane Battier out of Duke is VERY HIGH on the wish list simply because of his intangibles. Arizona's Richard Jefferson is as well.

Also mentioned was the fact that Eddy Curry is being discussed but didn't know what that meant... he will go #1, or top 5 in worst case scenario, so he isn't likely.

Our Own Guys
    Apparently Carlos Rogers will NOT be asked back.

The Rockets are still REALLY looking to move CATO. Yeah, we have heard that before, but keep your fingers crossed [​IMG]

Moochie Norris also is expected back.

In regards to Hakeem Olajuwon and Shandon Anderson: (crickets chirping).

Not good, not bad.... just all is quiet on that front.

Optimism is very high about this offseason.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

2. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

3. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I love this site. Thank you so much Doc and Clutch. [​IMG]

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

4. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Thanks, Clutch. I still don't know why they don't like Carlos.

------------------

5. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Clutch,

Do you think Houston will trade up in the draft? Package the picks and players?

------------------
    "Break off the block like Maurice Green" --- Steve Francis

President of the Moochie Norris fan club.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I don't understand this either
    Carlos has not b*Tched
    He produces
    Yet the rockets show more love to Walt and Cato

I just don't understand it

I've seen Carlos tell the story of his life
    and I really see him as a good guy
    who has went through some severe sh*t
    I would have just loved to see him stick.

Rudy and Co . . . U my boys
    but u treatin' the 'LOS DAWG WRONG!!

Rocket River

------------------

7. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Rudy does Carlos wrong. We were up by 100pts against Minnesota in the final game and he waited until 1:30 left in the fourth to put Carlos in the game. Thats not right at all. Other than Mooch I think Carlos is the most athletic player off the bench.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

8. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Thanks a lot, Clutch.

This is the greatest site in the history of civilization.

------------------
    Jazzkiller

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Attack the Zone???

If they can't decide, and Rudy is saying he wants to attack it, then I guarantee his other coaches are suggesting that we concentrate on defense and inventing zones.

That is definitely a major personnel decision.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited April 25, 2001).]

10. alaskansnowman

Great Info.

------------------
    PrEsident of The Danforth Langhford FAN CLUB... He IS our future All-Star Small Forward

11. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

HP, are you opposed to attacking the zone?

------------------

12. Valio!

Valio! Member

I love hearing this kind of stuff...great work, fellas...

Yeah...the Carlos thing jumped out at me too...I dont get it...maybe there's something going on behind the scenes that's influencing that decision??? Because when rogers played, he produced...

------------------
    "I didn't like jr. high when I was there. Why would I want to watch it on tv?" P. Mesku's opinion about "Survivor"

13. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

I don't know why he didn't play this year, but I'm pretty sure they are letting him go because they are trying to free up as much cap space as possible.

------------------

14. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

for the r****ds (me)... what would be considered an attack strategy against a zone and what wouldn't? Is it scoring fast before the defense sets a la Kentucky? or is their a half court offense they are talking about?

15. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

I'm not sure if this is right.

Attacking the zone means using offense to break down zones to score.

The other option is to go defense and try to invent some zones, pressure to force turnovers and get easy buckets.

There is really no wrong answer, depends how you view it.

------------------
    Draftsource.net

[This message has been edited by rocketsfan34 (edited April 25, 2001).]

16. heypartner

TPL,

That's not the question...

The question is: Are you offensively minded with a zone, or defensively minded? imo, the zone will cause some coaches to take an extreme position one way or another.

Considering our current personnel and Rudy's comments above, it looks like Rudy is planning to take an extreme position. He doesn't really have much choice, considering our lack of a big frontline to improve our defense more than other teams will be improving theirs.

So, he's taking the offensive fork in the road, so to speak. And that fork likely will lead down oeilpere's path of predicting 7' shooters to go with these guards.

Given our system and personnel, attacking also means getting some high-post pivot plays into action. such as, Mo' and Kenny's passing ability planted in the zone with shooter/slashers running around them.

Notice that we can even call Mo and Kenny shooter/slashers relative to their positions.

man this is going to get ugly....if Rudy gets his way on taking the offensive extreme position, we need to purge Shandon while the defensive extreme teams are looking for such players. Shandon's got value, but not on an attack-the-zone team....he needs to be 4 inches taller for that.

17. heypartner

Doctor Robert,

Watch Sacramento. They often play a European style Zipper offense, proven successful by a German coach.

This places two big men in the high post with a PG at the top of the key, and the two other players outside the arc on the wings. The set is no low post presence to stretch out the defense. The offense is run through the high post with an entry pass from the PG to one of the high post players. Then...then...the picks start coming from below. Back picks (Zipper picks) start coming from below as the wing players move into to assist the other high post player and the PG after the entry pass.

The Zipper effect slides (attacks) the low post with a back pick as the picker then roles for a midrange wing position.

Rinse and repeat.

18. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets wouldn't put all their eggs in one basket unless they had a good chance.

Clutch-With our 18th pick being right what the Grizzlies need, any word or chance that the "dancing in the streets" trade talk could be revived?

------------------
    "That's been a lifelong dream of mine." -Vince Carter, after laying it in on a breakaway, much to the Vancouver crowd's displeasure.

19. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

heypartner,

Where do Jason and Dan fit in that type of offense?

High Post or Outside Wings? Can Dan set a solid pick?

Mango

------------------
    Get it right or just don't do it!
    Resistance is futile....you will be assimilated.

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited April 25, 2001).]

20. Nomar

Nomar Member

Why wouldnt we give them the 22nd to satisfy the trade.

------------------
    The next time I have meat and mashed potatoes, I think I'll put a very large blob of potatoes on my plate with just a little piece of meat. And if someone asks me why i didn't get more meat, ill just say, "Oh, you mean this?" and pull out a big piece of meat from inside the blob of potatoes, where ive hidden it. Good magic trick, huh?